Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put the borla dual cat back exhaust on my fj and was wondering how others liked it or was there a better option out there...magnaflow, gibson, flowmaster ect....I need some help deciding what to do, I have the enjen cia on now and was wanting to do the exhaust next so come on guys help me out!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
263 Posts
AFE seems to be the best bang for the buck. I have not run any aftermarket exhaust on the FJ, but on my 05' Tacoma, I ran a gibson stainless catback and a downey intake. The combination of the 2 seemed to give the taco some more zoom but i think it lessened my low end torque but it did open the mid through high range quite a bit. My first choice is the borla except for the fact that the tips exit under the rear bumper, obviously compromising the off road prowess of the FJ. The gibson seemed good but I think I may go with the AFE. The AFE seems like it would be my next purchase....

Good luck and keep us posted.......

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I personally think Borla's dual exhaust setup looks sharp for use on the street. I'm thinking about getting that system myself. Forum member J-Rock had it on his rig but removed it because it was "too quiet" for him and installed the JBA setup which he likes much better but to each their own. I bought the JBA system off of eBay a while back for real good price but have yet to install it because of fear of that dreaded drone "noise" at part throttle going up a long hill. Here's more info on the Bola system. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/13317-dual-exhaust-borla-available-now.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks felles i do apperacate yalls input, I did read the thread and most thought is was great for looks and sound but not off-roading, I do not plan on putting my fj in the rugged foot hill of Alabama I bought mine as a show toy, but still want the most power that I can get, I will later go with the Doug Thorly long tube headers and the urd y pipe and then install a unichip to tie it all together

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the Borla as I like the looks of a dual exhaust. Louder than the TRD exhaust but not excessive. Not ment for off-roading but like u I don't intent on taking mine off of the pavement. Can't tell whether it increases the power but it sure sounds good. If you like the looks you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I do read alot of good commits on here about the AFE exhauts set up and have heard some clips of it and it does sound good and their web site claims up to 20 more poneys with it. But the TRD exhaust is off my list now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to have some kind of a poll and see which exhaust is the most perfered, but how do you go about that?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I now have a Doug Thorley y-pipe from UDR coming and then I am going to customize a true dual exhaust with it using a magnaflow #14385 X flow dual in and dual out muffler with #35163 exhaust tips exiting just behind the rear wheels

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the afe exhaust it is 3 inch i read and the cia intake would be sweet with that ehaust

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those with the borla, does your over axle pipe for the driver's side exhaust tip rest/touch the rear axle. I just installed mine today and cannot seem to align it so it doesn't touch the rear axle. Also, cannot put back the rear skid plate (trails edition), the over axle pipe is in the way. Anyone have any feedback / input.

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just fixed that same problem. I just recently installed the borla dual catback on my 2wd 07' and once installed I couldnt seem to get the pilot's left pipe coming out of the cat to clear the rear chassis crossmember. Also, every time I went over a speed bump I could hear my rear upper right control arm knuckle tapping against the pilot's right pipe. This really got on my nerves. What you have to do to fix this takes two people. If you take a look at your exgaust again you will see that there is an angle high enough to clear the rear chassis crossmember but with the two male rear male end pipes fully engaged into the female pipes out of the muffler, this and will be too far forward of the chassis to serve its purpose. You have to slide out the rear male end pipes from the connecting muffler pipes enough to push this angle forward and above the rear chasdis crossmember. Once there someone needs to hold the pipes up while you tighten the clamps. I hope this helps. You seem to be the only otger person I can find who had the same problem as me. As to the skids though,Im sorry but I dont have any so never had to deal with them. Goodluck

Sent from my Garminfone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I purchased my 2012 FJ 4 X 4 with the factory borla cat back system, this is a terrific exhaust system.
Do you mean a 'Dealer or Port Installed' Borla system?

DEWFPO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts