Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around the net to find the best price on a 75wxst but then saw THIS, a Cobra 76 XTR. The included antenna looks a little :eek:utofcloset: but I would use my little wilson mag mount.

It's not on Cobras website but here is the manual: http://www.cobra.com/downloads/manuals/76XTR_MANUAL.pdf

Is anyone running this CB? If so, how is it compared to the 75?

If not, I'll accept one to do an install review and long term road test from a supplier! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
yeah, sees to be the same as the 75 but focusing on illegal street racers, hence the innerglow. lol
Kinda cool. I'd buy one.
Edit>> upon second look it seems it has a few less buttons on it. I wonder if they combined the options into less buttons or they just removed the weather channels and some other options since it is called the "street extreme"

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The 76XTR looks pretty cool, but I don't think it funtions as well as the 75WXST.:simmadown:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I wonder how long it will take me to use the PA in place of the horn...

..."THANKS FOR CUTTING ME OFF! :fu:"

:jester:
Believe me. I've already been told by a recipient of my comments that "That s#!t is gonna get you shot bro!" LOL I guess I'm gonna get shot. I mainly use it when getting cut off, brakes slammed in front of me for no reason (no I don't tailgate), drifting in lanes while talking on the phone. The last one usually gets a long blast of the air horn to give a better effect.:rocker:

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think internally it's the same as the 75 minus features they thought wouldn't appeal to teens and young adults. I have it installed (not permanently yet) and it looks great and talks great. Skip-land is rolling HARD right now, I've already talked to Alabama and Illinois! :D Also I hooked the external speaker output to the AUX input and it works great!

Color matches well...

Lil Wil sending and receiving the signals...

Here she is talking...

76XTR.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Throw the shoes on it! Then it'll really sing! :rocker:

Looks great.

Size 100 shoes here... :clap:
That is the same size I have sitting in the garage... did you put your shoes on a Cobra 75? or a standard size CB like a Cobra 29?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That is the same size I have sitting in the garage... did you put your shoes on a Cobra 75? or a standard size CB like a Cobra 29?
I've got a standard-sized one, a Uniden PC78LTW (Cobra 29 equivalent) with a size 30 pair of socks that I changed up for a little while back... :D

Most of the time I run around without shoes because it's pretty good to begin with. In your case, not much you can do with the 75/76 except big shoes...

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got a standard-sized one, a Uniden PC78LTW (Cobra 29 equivalent) with a size 30 pair of socks that I changed up for a little while back... :D

Most of the time I run around without shoes because it's pretty good to begin with. In your case, not much you can do with the 75/76 except big shoes...
true.dat, has there been anyone "peak & tweak" these little things that you know of? I'm used to shoe-less radios but with some good swing squeezed outa them.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
true.dat, has there been anyone "peak & tweak" these little things that you know of? I'm used to shoe-less radios but with some good swing squeezed outa them.
Not much in the way of peak and tune since it's all soft/DSP and extremely dense (hard to work with). I think the RF output stage is a proprietary setup taken from their handheld, slightly modified.

I've never messed with one myself, but I can imagine if you're using something with RX pre, it might be a pretty sweet setup.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know that this thread is a bit old at the moment but I'm curious how your 76 XTR has worked out in the long term? Can you give any feedback? I just ordered one for $38 from the link you provided. I'd planned on doing the full streamlined 75 install with a Bandi mount, but the $200 cost was a little steep for me at the moment and I have not even used a CB since I was like 8... & remember getting in trouble then :worried: As I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to CBs, I figured it'd be best to keep it cheap to start with. Anyone have advice for when it shows up next week???
I think internally it's the same as the 75 minus features they thought wouldn't appeal to teens and young adults. I have it installed (not permanently yet) and it looks great and talks great. Skip-land is rolling HARD right now, I've already talked to Alabama and Illinois! :D Also I hooked the external speaker output to the AUX input and it works great!

Color matches well...

Lil Wil sending and receiving the signals...

Here she is talking...

76XTR.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's running great, I was talking on it this evening actually.

I have the controller box under the console, the mic mounted on the side of the radio area and a Wilson firestick mounted on the Demello front bumper and couldn't be happier as it does everything I need it to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts