1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:bigthumb:Yes, I have done this Mod.
I followed Bang Bang's install but I used a set of $ 35.00 fog lights from Advance Auto Parts.( I am at work so I don't have the light info w/me.)
I also used a add-a circuit in the fuse panel. It used 2ea. 10 amp fuses.
1 for the fog lights and 1 for the brake light.

Lights come on when I turn on my parking lights/head lights.
They work great for me in that I get the light right in front of the FJC.
I have AEROFLOW head light protectors over the head lights and I aimed the fogs at 3 degrees on the install and I have not had anyone bright light me. Lights are behind lower grill.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
For anyone looking to do this, and wishing to keep as much light function as possible, a couple of thoughts:

While driving lights have a narrow light pattern, the effectiveness of a fog lights' wider pattern can be dramatically reduced by the grill assembly. So, they will look great, but you might lose the beam spread and lighting intensity of a fog light behind a grill. Also, fog lights are more effective the lower they are mounted; better off considering a driving light if using the upper grill, and use the lower grill for fogs.

Some states can present the owner with legal issues - some require lights at headlight level or above, or any off-road lights, to be covered (and disconnected) to remain legal.

Now, back to work...:lol::bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cruiserlarry is 100% correct.
While I do lose some of the function of the fogs(Side to side due to location)
this is ok with me in that I wanted more light right in front of the FJC.
Since mine are low I get the desired effect with the added benefit of a rock guard that is already in place.( Lower grill)
As far as the state law most new vehicles have their driving/fog lights mounted in the lower portion of their bumper.
That being said I think that I am legal.
So far no problem with other drivers or law enforcement.:clap::clap:
The reasons that cl mentioned are the exact reason that I went with a fog light instead of a off road light plus the cost of this mod was less than $40.00 total :thinkerg:and just a little of my time.(lights, add-a-circuit, and wire loom.)
I think it looks different, cool, and I have not seen the set up around my part of the country either.:rocker::rocker::rocker: Thanks Bang Bang for all the info on the install. Great that you can use the holes that were already drilled and tapped for mounting the lights..:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Just to clear up any confusion regarding the terminology:

Fog lights are mounted below the centerline of your headlights.

Auxiliary driving lights are mounted at-or-above the centerline of your headlights.

Fog lights should only be turned on:
1) when fog is present
2) when you are on a rural (not urban) road
3) when there is no oncoming traffic

Auxiliary driving lights should only be turned on:
1) when you are driving OFF ROAD (i.e. NOT on a paved road)
2) when your high beam headlights are turned ON
3) when ABSOLUTELY required, this is why they are called "auxiliary driving lights"

In other words, fog lights and auxiliary driving lights:
1) are not to be turned on unless specific conditions are present (see above)
2) are not to be turned on while driving on urban, paved roads, during darkness without fog

By the way, my TTSE FJ came with auxiliary driving lights. These lights are attached to brackets that rest on top of the bumper, in line with the headlights. The lights came with OPAQUE (i.e black) covers. The covers come off and the lights get turned on ONLY when OFF ROADING at night.

Toyota does NOT sell FOG LIGHTS for the FJ. I purchased and installed a kit for a pair of fog lights from a member of this forum. The fog lights have been retrofitted into the front bumper at a considerable distance BELOW the centerline of my headlights and my auxiliary driving lights. My fog lights are turned on ONLY when it is foggy, I am on a rural road, and there is no oncoming traffic. Otherwise they are turned OFF.

Now that we have got the terminology clear, I suppose you could mount your "fog lights" behind the lower grill (below the bumper). Seems to me that the grill would block a lot of the light though. After you install a winch in the same location, the fog lights will have to be moved to the bumper. So why not install them in the bumper in the first place? Unless you don't ever plan to install a winch. . . . .

YMMV

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do a search of the forums. I learned lots from some very helpful forum members. Mine are behind the lower grill. I used Hella 450s clear fog lights. They fit well in that space. Get some 3.5 inch "L" brackets from Lowes or Home Depot for the mounting brackets. They really illuminate the shoulders of the road. A great help for old eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Ducky,

I had a question for you. I bought a set of Hella 500 off road lights, but these lights are intended to be mounted upright (says "top" on upper part) and they have two drainage holes on the bottom. Would it matter if I install them upside down? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
from what i understand hella states in their instructions they need to be mounted with the "top" on the top, can you not just flip the brackets so they are mounted as they should?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts