Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to do mine own FJ at the shop and I was wondering if some of the more non mechanically inclined forum members would like to see what the service is about and what's involved in case they decide to tackle it instead of going to the dealer.

I'm going to be using the SEVERE maintenance schedule (see special operating conditions) so it will be a little more involved than the NORMAL maintenance schedule. Performing a SEVERE schedule won't cost me much more than the NORMAL schedule since I'm a tech and I like the added piece of mind that the truck is fully ready to go since I'm taking it to the snow soon. I also tow with my FJ.

In case anyone is interested I'm a mechanic for a living with over 15 years of Japanese vehicle experience/ASE certified, etc..

I understand a lot of members here work on their FJ's and modify them, this is just for people who really want to see what's involved before tackling it and seeing the real service without all the BS some dealers try and include. I'm going off Toyota's factory schedule so NO fuel flush, trans fluid, engine de-carbon etc... only what the factory recommends. If I do somehow do something not on the list I will note it. There are several little issues I wanted to present as well as I do the service to give you guys a heads up on like the diff. oil weight choices, the cabin filter choices etc..

Anyone interested in this? :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm at 28,700 miles, I'm interested.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda forgot to mention my FJ is the 6MT so for the automatic guys I'll have to either wait until I work on one then update the thread or someone can add that part if they want to help me out.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Definitely would like to see a fully - illustrated guide.

Driving a 6M/T as well :bigthumb:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just finished my 30k service, but I would like to see if I did it right! :lol::lol:
I'm sure you did a good job!
I'm pretty anal too for people like me this should be good. I use OEM parts mostly and where I don't I'll note (I may be using K&N A/F or something) I'll also mention about getting OEM parts from sources other than Toyota to save some $$$.
Also I think I'll show how to update MYTOYOTA to show you performed the proper maintenance and have a nice little record of it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very Interested. Definately looks like I could learn a few things as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've already grown accustomed to the underbelly of my FJ now after lurking these forums for the past 2 years but coming from someone that knew 0 about working on cars before coming here, I think that a well illustrated thread would be good. I know everyone tells people to use the search function but not all keywords for what you're looking for are vastly unique. It can be pretty overwhelming digging thru page after page of threads that end up talking about something completely different from what you were looking for.

One thing I would suggest that is very often overlooked, when you take pictures of plug locations and such, make sure you circle what you are talking about. Don't be shy about marking up your photo (without cluttering it too much) So often people will take a pic of like 1/3 of the FJ's underside and then talk about a singular plug amongst a picture that contains 3-5 of them.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Me Too ~ I'm getting there too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for a heads up I've ordered most of the parts so I'm thinking next week I'll be able to do this. It's been hell finding the diff. fluid so I think I'll spend some time explaining what's up with that and why you shouldn't use the common 75W-90 that most people are substituting for 75W-85.

I also plan on doing a couple little things that are not on the list but will help in keeping the truck in good shape. Again I'll note what isn't on the list and give the benefits and let the reader decide.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts