Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
It will be most useful to many of the noobs and other non mechanical minded folks!
I'm mostly wondering your statement about the 75W90 gear oil...is there a problem with this weight? I didn't realize there were other optional inside cabin filter other than making your own... I'll be looking forward to your post :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
26K here. Hit me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It will be most useful to many of the noobs and other non mechanical minded folks!
I'm mostly wondering your statement about the 75W90 gear oil...is there a problem with this weight? I didn't realize there were other optional inside cabin filter other than making your own... I'll be looking forward to your post :cheers:
It should be interesting.
I spent no less than 3 hours working on getting all the parts together this afternoon. The diff. oil is a problem in itself but hopefully I'll have a good write up after all the work for the next guy!

Yes there is two different cabin filters! You can buy the original style or a better "premium" one.
I'll be covering that. I actually already started the service but I'm breaking it into "parts" for the write up to make it easier.

Hoping to start posting in the next couple days.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
why you shouldn't use the common 75W-90 that most people are substituting for 75W-85.
Interesting comment

Especially considering how Toyota was factory filling the 2007's with 90 at the factory then shipping them to parts of North America that experience winter temps far below 0 F, the safe low operating limit of 90 gear oil

The 2007's had a recommendation of either 80W-90 or straight 90 depending on temps. And Toyota was very anal and snotty about it, suggesting that anybody who used a synthetic gear oil would void their warranty.

Now Toyota has gone to a specially formulated synthetic 75W-85. That is substantially lighter than a straight 90, and a bit lighter than most synthetic 75W-90 gear oils

I now suspect that Toyota knows they have a very weak rear axle, and their specially formulated 75W-85 has a unique additive package

I have had great results with this commercial heavy duty synthetic

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, 80W-140

but perhaps will consider the exotically expensive Toyota gear oil if it helps extend the life of a problematic rear axle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive owned my FJ for 2 years and i am at my 30,000 mark and need to set aside some time this weekend for my overhaul and would greatly appreciate your purposed thread! but in the past two years Ive never heard of Toyota's rear end as being weak.... whats that all about!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Interesting comment

Especially considering how Toyota was factory filling the 2007's with 90 at the factory then shipping them to parts of North America that experience winter temps far below 0 F, the safe low operating limit of 90 gear oil

The 2007's had a recommendation of either 80W-90 or straight 90 depending on temps. And Toyota was very anal and snotty about it, suggesting that anybody who used a synthetic gear oil would void their warranty.

Now Toyota has gone to a specially formulated synthetic 75W-85. That is substantially lighter than a straight 90, and a bit lighter than most synthetic 75W-90 gear oils

I now suspect that Toyota knows they have a very weak rear axle, and their specially formulated 75W-85 has a unique additive package

I have had great results with this commercial heavy duty synthetic

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, 80W-140

but perhaps will consider the exotically expensive Toyota gear oil if it helps extend the life of a problematic rear axle
Look I don't want to cause a problem on the forum about that comment. I'll present what's I've found out and leave it up to the reader to decide what's best for his/her FJ. I'll tell you that they must have had a reason to change it and personally I don't think it was a weak rear end I think it was to improve CAFE standards. Plenty of dealers are using 80W-90 still (can't even find the 75W-85 at several local dealers around me and when asked service is still using 80W-90) and many forum members are using 75W-90 without issues.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
but in the past two years Ive never heard of Toyota's rear end as being weak.... whats that all about!
You can search this forum for examples of the rear end issues

I personally have never had a problem with the rear axle. It's smooth and quiet

I personally have also never had a cracked windshield, or fender bulges, or fender cracks

But others have

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a newbie to the site and would like instructions for releasing tension on the serpentine belt in order to change alternator. I live in Nome Alaska and bought the first model year 07 back in june of 06. Please respond

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd like to know also and know if there's a difference in the 60k service. I need to do myself because money is really tight right now. Plus, it'd be good to know the truck a little bit more.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Yes, very interested in this as I've got an '09 with 6mt and have already towed my 3400# camping trailer over 17k miles back and forth across the US. I'm wondering if maybe I should do this service a little sooner than 30k ?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts