Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found it on google earth and it looks pretty cool. It looks like about a 4400 ft change in elevation, over about 22 miles. If you are familiar with it, what is it like? Is it a road, or just a trail? It looks like part of it is a river wash and a part looks like it runs along the mountain ridge. It could provide some amazing views if it is passable. I'd love to learn more about it. Anything is appreciated.

Here is a closer image, turned to the left. Highway 39 is on the right side of the image.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but it looks like a fun place to go and explore. I think I'll be having a few days worth of vacation out near Palm Springs in a couple months. I'll have to go check it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you are talking about Pipes Canyon (1N01) it is a one way trail from Hwy 38 and goes 7 miles east before it dead ends at the Pipes Canyon Conservatory fence. Years ago it used to go all the way to Pioneer Town in Yucca Valley, but sadly no more. Can you say thank you enviromentalists!!!
My club 4X4 Freelanders has Pipes as our adopt-a-trail through the San Bernardino National Forest. It is rated moderately difficult, but inpassable in the winter. If you want to try it the only way in is from the top of Onyx summit on hwy 38. It is an old mining shelf road, very narrow in spots, and you are correct great elevation changes. enjoy and watch out for the bears. Pm me if you are interested, we are making a run in early August, nice temps at hwy 38, but it gets HOT at the bottom.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, you may have saved me a trip next weekend. I would be very interested in going on that run with your group in August.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im in, at wherever time,
i dont now the road, but i too close
i am on Desert Hot Springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts