Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've watched all I can and read all I could. Saw many packages on Amazon and I think I've pieced it all together. I need confirmation from those of you who are experts or had experience with solar setups. All of my camping are dry camping. Usually 2-7 days, non-mobile.

Please advise on which route I should take and if what I've chosen is optimal and can sustain me for my type of camping.

Setup #1 - probably the easiest/cheapest.
-Odyssey pc2150 (I have a brand new one sitting around)
-Odyssey OBC-20A portable charger
-2000 watt Champion inverter generator
-Blue Sea Systems fuse block
-Ampper battery kill switch
-6 gang rocker switch

Setup #2
-Odyssey pc2150
-2x BougeRV 170 watts monocrystalline solar panels
-Victron SmartSolar 100/50 MPPT charge controller
-Aims power 2500 watt inverter charger
-Blue Sea Systems fuse block
-Ampper battery kill switch
-6 gang rocker switch

Setup will be used to power a Snomaster lp96 fridge, Camp Chef Triton water heater, Seaflo water pump, and miscellaneous items such as charging phones, lamps, etc...

Btw, this setup will be going into a 4x6 off-road utility trailer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
Sounds like you’re on the right path. I highly recommend the VictronConnect charge controller, very high quality and you’ll dig its Bluetooth capabilities.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use a 4thD sole 165 and it keeps my Snomaster 56d going 24/7 365.

Large side of the fridge at 33 degrees and small side at 5.

I run lights under the awning and in the tent, charge 2 full frame cameras, phones, drone. And I have a shower pump. Panel is typically flat. Setup (fixed to tent) it really collects the power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely go with the MPPT charge controller. It just makes sense to extract as much as you can when the sun is out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts