Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Anyone know of a good “gas mileage” tire with raised white lettering?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Teikas Dad 
#1 ·
I’ll do anything to improve my fuel economy even by just 1mpg, but love the look of the BFG KO2’s. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on now and while they look sick, I’m considering a Gas mileage tire since I never off road and only drive to and from work.

#2 · (Edited)
Your best bet for “fuel saver” would probably be a street radial for SUV/truck. The fuel economy will increase with stock size radial tires that are light unlike all terrain or mud tires. This would work great especially if you never off-road. If you ever drive in snow and don’t want two sets of tires you need to be careful that your radials can handle it.

An example for street radials with white raised letters would be this Yokohama Geolandar H/T. This tire weighs around 1lb-5lb less than the terra grapplers and has a highway tread that will pay large dividends for rolling resistance and fuel economy.

On another note I began using Lucas Oils injector cleaner in my daily driver to see if it actually works. While I have only gotten through one full tank I was still able to see a 1.0mpg-1.5mpg increase in my fuel economy. I have not done the math to see if this product is cost effective like it did improve economy.

I am no expert but this is what I can say from my experience of going from stock to oversize mud tires. Do your research on tires and make sure it is absolutely the tire you want on your vehicle for the next few years to come.

#4 ·
Terra Grapplers are pretty tame. Unless those are worn out, you will never make up the money in gas mileage. I do understand filling up just a little less is a benefit in itself.

That said, you need normal P rated tires or maybe C rated. Keep it as light as possible. It isnt all about the tread design.

If your Nittos are dead, then Michelin LTX tires are pretty solid choice. Stock size they are just 39lbs.

The Nittos are only 41 lbs (stock size - standard load), so you could go spend $1200 on tires and not notice a damned thing.....this is the likely case.

So...do you have a roof rack? Remove it. Rock rails, skid plates, ect? Remove that weight. All the tune-up items taken care of? Filters - plugs - FLUIDS, grease driveline, ect.... No lift right? That absolutely murders mileage.

Another option if you have cash burning holes in your pockets...rims. Stock rims are mostly around 30 lbs each...you can find some in the high-teens/ low twenties. That weight savings should help a good bit.

#7 · (Edited)
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. Best white letter tire you can buy IMO. First white letter tire that looks better than the KO2 which are absolute garbage for ride quality BTW, had two sets. The Coopers are the best tires I've ever owned they have an AT tread so they ride smooth but have a very aggressive side wall tread which makes them look like MTs. They are much lighter than the KO2 too. Lighter weight wheels will help too, you want to reduce unsprung weight as much as possible.

Attachments

#9 ·
Hankook Dynapro ATMs. I got 20 to 21mpg on the highway with them with cruise control set at the speed limit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.