Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my flares removed but hate the exposed look of the bare metal it shows. It looks like i have parts missing off my truck....which i do.. Anyone make a kit that covers up exposed metal or is everyone just painting the metal black?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Not to criticize in any way, but what is the advantage of removing the factory flairs? Is there that much of a difference in tire clearance? I'm only asking because I really don't know, & if there is a significant difference I'll certainly consider it for my self. I've been floating around this forum for years & never really read any threads on this. Tell me what the deal is, I wish I could afford the Bushwacker pocket style flairs, love the look of those. some day I guess.:cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did mine for multiple reasons. I had rub so it gave me another couple inches clearance. it makes my 3 inch lift LOOK like a 6 inch lift. it makes my wheels LOOk like they stick out farther. I look I like a lot. And I damaged my front left one so it was buy a new front left or take them ALL off!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not to criticize in any way, but what is the advantage of removing the factory flairs? Is there that much of a difference in tire clearance? I'm only asking because I really don't know, & if there is a significant difference I'll certainly consider it for my self. I've been floating around this forum for years & never really read any threads on this. Tell me what the deal is, I wish I could afford the Bushwacker pocket style flairs, love the look of those. some day I guess.:cheers:
I did mine to help against rust ,, and to make the inner finder's more MUD proof , ,, The picture shows it all , the inner finder is like a tub now ,, the back work great ,, U will see when u look at ur's,,,,, what I talking about,, and that is why I did mine ,, :)
cheers :

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
:rofl:
I did mine for multiple reasons. I had rub so it gave me another couple inches clearance. it makes my 3 inch lift LOOK like a 6 inch lift. it makes my wheels LOOk like they stick out farther. I look I like a lot. And I damaged my front left one so it was buy a new front left or take them ALL off!!
It does not give you another couple inches of clearance - at least on the front, haven't done the rear yet, so I won't comment there. It buys you a 1/2" - 1" more directly upwards at most. These measurements were taken after flare was removed and cycling the front suspension at full uptravel.

Bodymount and rear wheel well area are where most rub, not straight up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had heard people talk about how much mud, dirt, and debris gets caught up behind the factory flares, but until I took mine off, I didn't realize just how much of that stuff is actually in there. It was pretty amazing to me. It was sort of like a compost pile. There were partially decayed leaves and grass mixed in there. The dirt actually felt like peat moss.

Besides that, I like the look of my truck so much more without the flares, especially in the front where it gives it more of a Baja-style in my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Could you other guys who removed your flares post pics of your rigs including how you covered the gaps?
I went with white plastic board,, I was also looking into other material's.
I just cut a peace 7 inches by 5 feet and started to fitted it under the well ,, I used the old hole's from the flairs to bolt to,,, I used my knife and trimmed the outer edge the same shape as the fender ,, did dome jointing and painted it with under coat paint ,, I did the back 2 years ago ,, a little paint here and there and they work great ,, easy to clean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts