Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its a given that I will get a lift for my FJ, but which one is the question. The Icon is in my sights, but realistically, it will be a while before I can et it. I dont do nor do I plan on doing hard core offroading, but that Icon system, UCAs and all is screaming to me. Now simply because I dont PLAN on going hardcore, doesnt mean I wont. What I'm looking for is some one to convince me either way. Buy a lift kit that will be good now, or wait a year OR MORE and get the ICON... your thoughts? well hell, even Jason can chime in...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh bTW that demello rrear bumper is the sickest MOD i have seen fo the FJ , with the exception of those tube doors. When will those be available?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think do it right the first time is good advice. I can say for me, I wish I would have not gone the cheaper route ( i have bilstein height adjustable in the front) because now I need to get something better, (handle the weight of an aftermarket w/winch)
plus, it just bugs me knowing my alignment is off because of the lift. It would be nice to have adjustable UCA's. not at all necessary.. but nice.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
My theory has been and will always be, buy what you NEED. Do you need the adjustable coilovers or do you just want them?

Just my opinion on the subject.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My theory has been and will always be, buy what you NEED. Do you need the adjustable coilovers or do you just want them?

Just my opinion on the subject.
I'm with you. Hard part for me is convincing myself of what I don't NEED.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Take it from me, i had the OME med/med on my truck for over a year and really liked it, but I ended up going to the ICON setup recently. Boy, do I wish I did that to begin with. It rides better, stops better, leans less, is adjustable, soaks up most bumps in the road better, looks cooler, and honestly flexes and performs better. If I would have known this in the beginning I would have gotten the ICONs and saved a lot of money...

Trust me, you get what you pay for and the deal that Jason Demello is running right now cant be touched by a ten foot pole. either jump on that deal right now or kick yourself in the butt later for not doing it right the first time. :)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Take it from me, i had the OME med/med on my truck for over a year and really liked it, but I ended up going to the ICON setup recently. Boy, do I wish I did that to begin with. It rides better, stops better, leans less, is adjustable, soaks up most bumps in the road better, looks cooler, and honestly flexes and performs better. If I would have known this in the beginning I would have gotten the ICONs and saved a lot of money...

Trust me, you get what you pay for and the deal that Jason Demello is running right now cant be touched by a ten foot pole. either jump on that deal right now or kick yourself in the butt later for not doing it right the first time. :)
Ditto, I started with the OME 886/895 and it was great for awhile, I recently got the ToyTec front adjustables and I really love them. for the price they rock. If I was bottomless wallet I would of went ICON. But as Mud said the deal going on now is AWESOME!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've run OME suspensions, Sway-away's, Camburgs, and others.. I thought they were all good until I got a chance to try some Icons, and I was sold. The Icons by far blew away the ride both on and off-road from any of the others I've used over the years. Icon takes the time to design and valve the shocks and springs for the vehical they are being used on, verses just repacking a shock and sticking it in a kit. They really know what they are doing with shocks over there, and it shows when you drive a vehical with them. If you get a chance, just drive somebody's that has Icon's on them and see for yourself. You will be sold... I wish they made shocks for street vehicals, I'd put them on my daily driver!!

You don't have to buy everything at once.. you can start with the front coilovers, then later get the rears, and then later UCA's and rear links, ect.. built it as you go and can afford it.. I'm still building up mine.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
So, its a given that I will get a lift for my FJ, but which one is the question. The Icon is in my sights, but realistically, it will be a while before I can et it. I dont do nor do I plan on doing hard core offroading, but that Icon system, UCAs and all is screaming to me. Now simply because I dont PLAN on going hardcore, doesnt mean I wont. What I'm looking for is some one to convince me either way. Buy a lift kit that will be good now, or wait a year OR MORE and get the ICON... your thoughts? well hell, even Jason can chime in...
I think you should leave it stock :fight:

That there is some of my reverse psychology stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Tankota said it!

The Icon's are amazing you will not regret them. Even the on road drive is improved so if you still don't go hard core you will still be getting your moneys worth. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I decided more than a year ago that i NEED Hoes/ICON suspension. They have an awesome reputation in the off road world.
Over the last year and a half I have been wheeling with stock suspension while saving my pennies. You can do a lot with stock suspension and the proper skid protection.
My philosophy is to do the suspension right or wait until you have enough money for a real upgrade.
This is not a cheap vehicle so don't compromise on the handling and comfort.
You should ride in somebody's vehicle who has the suspension that you want. I did, so now I can't get anything less. I just need to save a few more pennies. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Do it right the first time. If you want, come up to Fort Collins, and we can run some street whoops to convince you.

If anything, wait on the UCA's to save some cash. That's an easy upgrade down the road. The coilovers and rear shocks will amaze you alone. Then when you have a cash reserve built up, you can add some TC UCA's later.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I will be one of those kicking themselves in the rear. The wallet is empty :( I am one of those get what you need types. But it's your cash and if I had the cash, I can convince myself that I need the Icons.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I never regretted the Icon suspension.

It has performed consistently beyond my expectations. OME is good, but it's not in the same class.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So earlier this week I was dead set on a 6" RC kit, and now I'm thinking OME to save money...and now I'm thinking Icon.... sigh....

I'm picking up a set of wheels and tires (265/70/17). Are these tires going to look all tiny and ridiculous on an Icon setup?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts