Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put 285s on my FJ but am not sure how bad the rubbing will be. any 2 wheel drivers put some on with no rub? preferably 285/70/17

·
Registered
483 Posts
depends on the tread, more aggressive yes, i have 265/75/16 mud tires and theres no more room for anything bigger without rubbing

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have 285/70/17 BFG All Terrains TA KO's on 17x9 ATX Artillerys (-12 offset), with no lift... and yes, they rub on full turn. like stated above, you should be able to get away with them on stock rims.

i just had the body mount chop done tonight (what a relief). it's not fun drivin around with rubbing tires.

next up, 2" front spacer for just a bit more room and to level the FJ out.

-rayray

·
Registered
789 Posts
I gotta a 4X4 and i have muds on there 285/75/16s though. I have no rub but I have aftermarket UCAs and my caster is positive still.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
To spare you a long research time.. It will rub.your best option would 285/70/16 they don't rub but only manufactured by a few brands, you should check out Nitto dune grapper..

I run 275/70/16 with no lifts, no rub at all.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Just slap Bilstein 5100 Front Adjustable Shocks on. I have 285/70/17 with no problems.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I recommend gettinga Level Lift @ the least and slapping the 285's on without problemos!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I agree with Southbounder, get the spacers, pretty cheap & easy to install(well, if you have a spring compresser) or take them to a spring shop & they'll hook you up. It's not worth it if they do rub. You'll be beating up brand new tires & risk possible body damage. Plus the FJ just looks better with the front leveled off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just slap Bilstein 5100 Front Adjustable Shocks on. I have 285/70/17 with no problems.
I have 5100s up front on the 3rd notch also and regular TRD bilstiens in the rear. I plan on keep the stock alloys, would this set up be ok w no rub of would u need 5100 in the rear? (which I plan on getting)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
if you're worried about rubbing your body mounts, chop the things off. it's easy. you can do it yourself, and then if you want to get them welded back up, or not, either way, just them off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So 285's will fit with leveling the front??? looking at Fuel 17x9's with -12 offset thinking dune grapplers 285's....or terra's...

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
So 285's will fit with leveling the front??? looking at Fuel 17x9's with -12 offset thinking dune grapplers 285's....or terra's...
285s will fit the stock wheels without rubbing without a lift.

When you pick aftermarket wheels, you need to make sure you pick the correct backspacing / offset, and even then its still usually a gamble.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts