Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone is running an OEM Air Dam, and if so... How do you like it?

How bright are the lights? Are the lights upgradable to something more modern?

I understand that the harness behind the dash comes pre-wired for the harness in the lights, but wondering if I still have to drill into the roof??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wondering about aerodynamics... Can you feel a difference?

The long LED light bars on the roof look super cool, but seem like they would cause major drag, and wind noise.

·
Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
112 Posts
Also wondering about aerodynamics... Can you feel a difference?

The long LED light bars on the roof look super cool, but seem like they would cause major drag, and wind noise.
Not sure I can say I feel a difference with/without it installed. I know people with non-OEM style air dams and/or lightbars comment how noisy it is. I can't say that I can hear any noise driving with mine.

The stock lights are surprisingly bright, and can easily be changed to something else the same size.

Yeah the factory wiring is mostly there, and to keep it stock you'll need to add the switch and run wire from a connector in the driver's pillar (near the grab handle) up to the lights, either by drilling a hole in the roof (per the factory instructions) or running out and up the exterior trim. Mine is thru the roof.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
I installed one on mine. I don’t notice anything different. The lights that come with the kit are driving beam. Not legal on the highway in most places as they are mounting too high.
I replaced them with HID floods and only use them off road. They are covered the rest of the time.
Many LED lights should mount up nicely. Just may have to modify the wire connectors up top at the lights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I can say I feel a difference with/without it installed. I know people with non-OEM style air dams and/or lightbars comment how noisy it is. I can't say that I can hear any noise driving with mine.

The stock lights are surprisingly bright, and can easily be changed to something else the same size.

Yeah the factory wiring is mostly there, and to keep it stock you'll need to add the switch and run wire from a connector in the driver's pillar (near the grab handle) up to the lights, either by drilling a hole in the roof (per the factory instructions) or running out and up the exterior trim. Mine is thru the roof.

Hope this helps!
Indeed, very helpful. So there is a plug and play connector inside the pillar behind the grab handle?

Also, is there a ready pre-wired connector that I would plug the new switch into? If so, where is that located? Behind which button panel..? (Dual switch panel left of the steering wheel column OR bigger switch panel near the 4x4 shifter?)

Does the kit come with grommets to seal the hole in the roof? Or how did you seal yours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed one on mine. I don’t notice anything different. The lights that come with the kit are driving beam. Not legal on the highway in most places as they are mounting too high.
I replaced them with HID floods and only use them off road. They are covered the rest of the time.
Many LED lights should mount up nicely. Just may have to modify the wire connectors up top at the lights.
Driving beam, meaning more focused like spotlights?

What size flood lights did you replace them with? Are they brighter or just different throw pattern? Or both?

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Yes more like spots. The HIDs were 35 watters and much brighter, flood pattern.
Those I had to modify a little die to their size and to get the FJ to fit in my garage. LED lights don’t have the large housing to fit the extra electrons.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Indeed, very helpful. So there is a plug and play connector inside the pillar behind the grab handle?

Also, is there a ready pre-wired connector that I would plug the new switch into? If so, where is that located? Behind which button panel..? (Dual switch panel left of the steering wheel column OR bigger switch panel near the 4x4 shifter?)

Does the kit come with grommets to seal the hole in the roof? Or how did you seal yours?
The kit comes with the following:
Dash Switch that connects to pre-existing wiring if you get it in he right slot, instructions should indicate
Relay that gets plugged into empty slot in fusebox under the hood
Waterproof connector that goes into hole in roof that you must drill and then route harness to the connector in the pillar, need to move headliner around to fish it through.
Also 4 Nutserts need to be installed in stock roof rack after you remove 4 little plastic plugs. You will need a special Nut Sert tool, kinda like a rivet gun to accomplish that.
Allow yourself a full day for this project to account for all the little PITA stuff to finish this off.
Lights will only work when headlights are turned on.
After all that, yes it is nice, no noise that I could detect and fits cleanly and looks stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like mine, I bought it from another user here on this forum. Hopefully I will get a Baja rack someday. The picture on the 2012 brochure had one on. Most of the ones you are buying are Toyotas old stock that has 55w bulbs that were recalled, the recall was to replace the 55w to 35w bulbs. It was marketed as driving lights and not off road light so hence the recall. Toyota no longer sells these items like the recalled floor mats.

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2012 FJ Cruiser Trail Team
28 Posts
I picked up a new Toyota OEM air dam and front grill light bar with lights and FJ covers from a Toyota dealer for $100. He was making room in the parts department by clearing out old parts. This OEM stuff is going on my very stock 2012 FJ Trail Team.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I picked up a new Toyota OEM air dam and front grill light bar with lights and FJ covers from a Toyota dealer for $100. He was making room in the parts department by clearing out old parts. This OEM stuff is going on my very stock 2012 FJ Trail Team.
I had one for a couple years. still using the wiring harness for my ricochet aluminum one with mounted led lights. You will need to get nutserts for the rack; but i think the kit came with them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts