Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered Alpine's new Halo9 (ILXF509) and the full kit for installation from Crutchfield. Been decades since I did a head unit install. Also, this will be my first upgrade touching the electrical system (other than LEDs in the headliner).

Anyway, has anyone else installed this head unit and learned a few things along the way? If so, I'd love to learn from you (also any tips or advice you have). I will of course be scouring YouTube for guidance/advice, but want FJ-specific insight, so figured I'd query this community first. Plan to run backup cam into it (thanks to a super-helpful post by @MikeMode!)

·
Registered
403 Posts
It looks nice (and expensive), but after having an Android head unit (even a crappy one) I can't go back to non-Android. I would greatly miss having YouTube. I also have a nice Torque setup with a wired USB connection to the OBD port.

·
Registered
2012 FJC 6spd Manual
126 Posts
I am not running that unit, I went with the Pioneer NEX7600, but that Alpine looks to be a very nice system that would compete with the Pioneer in my FJ. Overall I'm happy with my set up and I'm sure you will be too. My only regret, and perhaps you will have the opportunity to do this right since you haven't installed anything yet, is that the screen resolution and picture quality is MUCH better than the camera's capabilities. I went with a Pioneer camera just to keep everything the same, but I wish I would have done more research and purchased a better camera so that I can see more clearly. If you're plugging your OEM FJ camera into your new unit, I'm sure you'll run into the same issues, if not worse, as I'm sure the OEM FJ camera that was intended for the small screen on the mirror will not look good stretched to your new 9" screen.

You can see more detail about my set up in this POST, in particular the difference in sharpness between my reverse view and the native apps on the screen. I am not interested in taking everything apart again just to plug a new camera in, but at this stage, if I were you, I'd get a nice HD camera to pair with your nice HD screen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts