Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you give me the "look" hear me out please.

I am currently running Cooper STT's on 16x8 Method weels. I really like them both on and off road, however I am in a path to improve the on road handling of my FJ (installing heavier sway bars) and even whith the present suspension setup I can make these tires loose traction on tight turns.
So I am considering having a second set of wheels/tires dedicated to road only use (DD). So the question is: "street tires" or AT tires for daily use (and keep the STT for off-road use) ?

I would like to hear from those that have ran two sets of tires and have experience with street tires (not low profile, just dry pavement type street thread design) what are the advantages/disavantages of this idea. I have to assume both mileage and traction will go up on pavement, but then you have to deal with the hassle of swaping tires, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think a lot of people do this actually. I cant remember who but I've read of people having really aggressive tires for offroad but also a second set for when they are using the FJ as a DD. Could be a good plan if you have the money to be able to afford two sets of tires and rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run two set of tires 285/70/17 BFG for offroad and 285/55/20 street. I get much better gas milage with my street tires 21 mpg compare to 17. The only draw back is that your offroad friends will make fun when you forget to change them and you show up to a meet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I run Cooper discoverer ht. Eventually I want tO get an AT tire

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have 2 sets. There is a difference in handling but not enough to justify changing back and forth. The big tire look sooooooooooooooo much better....and I just got too lazy to change them.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I'd recommend that you just run a good AT tire and be happy. For example, I run the Nitto Terra Grappler and rarely venture into deep mud. Most of my trips are to Colorado and Utah so they see at least 2,600 miles of highway for every 200-300 miles of off-road. They perform great on the road, on the rocks, in the sand, and in "light" mud.

While I certainly won't argue that nobody needs the tread of the MTs, it is definitely true that a pretty fair percentage don't need it (i.e. just running them for looks) and I'm guessing that you would fall into that group.

Here's another problem and I'll use myself as an example. My current set of Nittos will probably last 50-60K miles as they are currently wearing. At my current pace, that is about five years of use and that is what I consider a tires lifetime as age goes. If I have another set to switch back and forth, I will not get full use of either set before age cracking sets in big time.

There are three exception to my view. First, if you have plenty of money to throw around then, by all means, support the economy and buy more wheels and tires. Second, if you have another Toyota that the wheels and tires will fit then you can easily switch them back and forth and get more use out of them. Third, if you are a tire destroyer and never get decent life from a tire then the age issue is not a factor.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That's what I have....

-White steelies w/Goodyear MT/Rs

-Stock alloys with Yokohama Geolandars (excellent tire for this as it has street manners, can do light off-roading just fine and doesn't look like a ridiculous street tire)

-I also have a 3rd set which is stock alloys with Dunlop GrandTreks (never used; might swap the GrandTreks for Blizzaks some day so I have a winter set)

If you have a floor jack and a good set of tire tools the swap can be done at home in about an hour.

I always prefer to change my own wheels anyway because I just don't trust shops. Period.

BTW, I can't really say the Geolandars are for DD as, well, I make it a policy to not DD :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I run two set of tires 285/70/17 BFG for offroad and 285/55/20 street. I get much better gas milage with my street tires 21 mpg compare to 17. The only draw back is that your offroad friends will make fun when you forget to change them and you show up to a meet.

LOL!! That would funny :clap:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advise, well taken.

So now I am leaning more towards a "mild" AT tire with decent winter performance (rain and snow) and keep my STT's for sand/rocks/mud (285/85/16)

Considering Toyo AT/ Hankook ATM, maybe 275/70/18 Any other I should look at ?

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts