Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considered doing this or even done it? Curious to get opinions from folks, especially if you've researched and / or done it, or even if you didn't do it after researching, would love to know why.

Really trying to weigh the pros and cons. Obviously its pricier than driivng, but time is a factor for us, more specifically for my wife who doesn't have as much vacation so it's limiting. We're in Richmond, VA so it's probably a solid 3 days of driving unless we just went 15+ hour days of driivng, which I'd rather not do as if we're going to drive cross-country essentially, I'd like to try to enjoy that experience as well. Even considering driving out with the Mrs., attending FJ Summit, and then flying her home and then just driving home solo as a way to save her a couple days.

Alternatively the cheapest shipping quote I could find to ship from Richmond, VA to Ouray, CO is ~$1,300+, obviously that's one way, so gets pricey quick as that doesn't even include our plane tickets, so max $$, but also max time saved I guess, and I guess it offsets gas cost for driving out there too as well as meals during the trip out / back, but $2,600+ can buy a lot of gas and food.

On a related note, anyone traveling from the east coast? We'd love to get any suggestions / advice on routes, stops (both hotels & sightseeing), or any general advice. All feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Montrose, which is only a 45 minute drive from Ouray, has a fairly busy airport that has flights from various parts of the country. The Telluride crowd flies in there so it's a popular airport. You might want to take a look at having your wife fly into that airport if it'll work for you.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,145 Posts
Welcome, Rob! I drive out from VT every year, solo - and love the drive! Wouldn’t trade the adventure for anything... I’m happy to share any info with you that might help :smile

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome, Rob! I drive out from VT every year, solo - and love the drive! Wouldn’t trade the adventure for anything... I’m happy to share any info with you that might help :smile
That is one true adventure drive. You drive that thing all 34 hours solo, beat it in Moab and Ouray and drive it back home on all 4 wheels. Now that is an adventure rig!

Great job. If you blog about that road trip, let me know. Would love to read it.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,145 Posts
That is one true adventure drive. You drive that thing all 34 hours solo, beat it in Moab and Ouray and drive it back home on all 4 wheels. Now that is an adventure rig!

Great job. If you blog about that road trip, let me know. Would love to read it.
Thanks! I have never blogged and wouldn’t know where to start, but looking back, every year the trip out west turns into an extraordinary over-the-top experience so I really should look into it....enjoyed reading about your cross country journey and your photos were awesome!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Montrose, which is only a 45 minute drive from Ouray, has a fairly busy airport that has flights from various parts of the country. The Telluride crowd flies in there so it's a popular airport. You might want to take a look at having your wife fly into that airport if it'll work for you.

Yup driving from florida and flying my wife into Montrose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: debFJVT

·
Registered
233 Posts
One other thing to consider when shipping your vehicle is that vehicle shipping companies are notoriously late with shipments. I would schedule it to get there a week before you actually want to use the truck if you want to have any chance of it being available for Summit.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Grand Junction might even be cheaper than Montrose.

I used to live in Baltimore and when I moved to Denver I drove my FJ across country then a few weeks later flew back to Baltimore and drove my wife's Mazda to Denver. The second trip I went from Baltimore to St Louis, slept a few hours in a highway rest area, then drove all the way to Denver. I think it took me 32 hours total.

If the wife's vacation is the limiting factor, have her fly into Denver. You can leave 2 or 3 days earlier with the FJ and drive it, then meet her at DIA and drive over the continental divide to Ouray with her. Likewise you can have her fly out of DIA afterwards, or if you want to go to Moab for a few days after Summit have her fly out of Grand Junction Sunday morning.

The drive across country is an awesome experience, so much to see and do on the way. I wouldn't skip it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts