Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still doing Moab July 10-12 and will be in Ouray July 14-19.
Looking for others that are going to Ouray and want to go out on the trails
together.

·
Vendor
2,131 Posts
Robin if you could make it to Moab the 9th that would be great . the 10th is the last day we will be there

Reactions: FJX2000

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a tentative plan to be in Moab from July 12 to July 15 and to be in Ouray from July 15th to July 18th.

My tentative trail plan in Ouray is to do Imogene Pass, California Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass and my usual drive to the top of Black Bear Pass and return the same way. Not doing the switchbacks.

Well, I often go on those trails alone but meet up with people on the trails. I could join you on some trails if our days match up on being on the trails or we could match our plans to do a trail or some trails together. That is if you do not mind a full size rig in tow. Oh and do not let the big girl fool you that she may be slow. She is more than capable on any of those trails that I just listed.

And I was hoping to meet a group of rigs wanting to do a night run to use their offroad lights on the trails. Though I cannot be behind someone or there is no way I can use my lights as they will be blinding to whoever is infront of me.

If you are wondering about my "KC lights" on my suv...

KC Flex led light bar vs Made in China alternative

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Armada (007)

We would love to do the trails with you, especially since you know the trails.
This is our first time doing the trails in Ouray and
Engineer Pass is a must. We have no definite trail plans.
A night time run sounds great, we are hoping to see the milky way while
out west.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Armada (007)

We would love to do the trails with you, especially since you know the trails.
This is our first time doing the trails in Ouray and
Engineer Pass is a must. We have no definite trail plans.
A night time run sounds great, we are hoping to see the milky way while
out west.
If this is your first time going to Ouray, you will love it for sure.

The first time I visited Ouray, I fell in love with the place. My first time climbing Imogene Pass, my palms were sweating the whole time I was in 4Lo, in first gear and all traction controls off, slowly making it up that hill from Telluride to the top of Imogene Pass. Praying hard that I should not get a flat. If I say I was not scared as I looked down at the dropoffs, it would be a lie. But I was bent on getting this car up that mountain and I really enjoyed the adrenaline rush. All the other Passes in Ouray do still give me some adrenaline rush every time I do them, but the anticipation of making it to the top with the sounds the car makes on the rocks in 4Lo and the change of climate with altitude, all work together to make the feeling a great adventure.

I found out about the FJ Summit from a group of FJ owners I went wheeling with here in Texas at Big Bend National Park. That same year I decided I must go to Ouray and see the place and also see all what this FJ Summit is all about. That was 5 years ago. After that first visit, I never knew I would ever go to Ouray again, but I found myself going to Ouray every single year after that and only during the FJ Summit. If I go this year, it will be my 5th year in a row of me showing up in Ouray during the FJ Summit dates and I do not even drive a Toyota, let alone a FJ. I just love being in Ouray when the place is alive.

I have done some of the trails before and it would really be nice to do it with another vehicle.

Although the FJ Summit is canceled for this year, I am guessing a few FJs may still go to Ouray during those 2020 FJ Summit dates. So may be we could tag along a small group run. One popular group run is to Yankee Boy Basin. I attempted that with a group of about 8 FJs, my first trip with my QX to Ouray, when I had stock street tires, but some of them convinced me I would not make it far and I had to turn around. I am more than equipped now and would love a drive to Yankee Boy Basin for its picturesque views.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here are some of my pictures of my QX at some of those Passes from my 2018 Road Trip in Ouray...
My July 2018 Road Trip

My first time at the top of Imogene Pass. Fully stock height. Every other vehicle I met there at the top of Imogene Pass was lifted with huge tires. All I had going for me was my 33 inch hybrid tires wrapped on my 22 inch factory rims with a lot of determination from my trusted QX. Some people were genuinely surprised to see me at the top. Today, my QX has 35 inch Yokohama mud tires. It would be nice to make another run up that Imogene Pass again. I always pray for no tire punctures. A flat on that road would be awful.
Imogene Pass

Ophir Pass

Hurricane Pass

California Pass

Engineer Pass

Cinnamon Pass

Black Bear Pass

And of course, one has to air up after a day on the trails...

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I plan to arrive in Ouray on the 11th. Staying at KOA. No specific plans on trails but I am sure Imogene Pass will at least one day. There are several trails that are not part of the Summit run that I am thinking of exploring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Desert Fox
We will be staying in town on 6th St. We will not be arriving till the 14th and staying till the 19th.
It would be great to meet up with you and Armada and hit the trails.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Desert Fox
We will be staying in town on 6th St. We will not be arriving till the 14th and staying till the 19th.
Sounds good. I am not sure how long I am staying. The current plan is to come home Saturday 7/18

·
Registered
113 Posts
Desert Fox
My vacation request was denied. What a bummer. But later on approved when someone's international flight to Africa got canceled and his fare was refunded. He decided no vacation for him. I approached my boss at this time. My boss was kind enough to approved my own vacation in that coworker's place. It was true luck for mine to be approved next on the list because we were about 3 of us having vacation requests for almost the same days. Well, I was lucky. So, I will be in Ouray.

Here is a link to my trip report that starts 2 days from today. That would be on Wednesday night as from 10pm for a 12 hours drive throughout the night.

My Road Trip, July 2020

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Well sir you have a real nice road trip planned. It would be nice to meet up with you, i like to wheel with Texicans. :D I may be leaving on Thursday but not sure yet.

FYI, when you leave Ouray heading to Colorado Springs, you have a choice to take HWY 285 or HWY 50. I recommend HWY 50. It follows the Arkansas river and is a much nicer drive. You will take 550 out of Ouray up to Montrose, then take 50. A little ways past Monarch Pass you will come to a choice of either 285 or 50. If you stay on 50, as I suggest, you can take it all the way to 115 outside Canyon City. 115 will bring you into Colorado Springs.

Another option to consider; When you leave Ouray, you can take Engineer Pass to Lake City. Then follow the road to Blue Mesa Reservoir. That is HWY 50. You have bypassed Montrose and added Engineer Pass as a trail run. Before I bought my trailer I used to go to Ouray via Engineer Pass.

Regardless you have a nice trip planned. My phone is 719 694 6698. If you want to hit a trail in Ouray give me a call. I know Imogene very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks, man. I would definitely like to wheel with you. I hope you do not leave Ouray on that Thursday. Since that is the day that would be ideal for me to do Imogene Pass. We can coordinate with the OP, Robin, to see if that morning would work for all if us.

Imogene is about 17 miles long and I think it is about a 4 hours drive? Please correct me if I am wrong. And then with the stops one would like to make for pictures and videos on the trail, I say it may be approximately 6 hours before one gets to Telluride. I suggest if we do it, we hit the trail as early as possible. Like 7am or before. Good thing is there must not be traffic on the road.

Thanks for the suggestion about my road trip. The road I chose so far is because I wanted to drive through Aspen and go up Independence Pass. I did it last year and it was really nice. This new route you have suggested, I will look into it and see. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I will text you for sure later today. Oh, you should delete your number from this thread so scammers prowling the internet do not inundate your phone.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
FYI, when you leave Ouray heading to Colorado Springs, you have a choice to take HWY 285 or HWY 50. I recommend HWY 50. It follows the Arkansas river and is a much nicer drive.
I went this way for the first time, after Summit. I really enjoyed the part along the river.

Reactions: Thorn661

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,177 Posts
If anyone lets me know what exact day you will be around or what trail you are running I may be able to join you! Seeign as I'm not too far away, especially from Telluride! But a quick hop over Ophir gets me to either Silverton or Ouray relatively fast. (y)

·
Registered
113 Posts
If anyone lets me know what exact day you will be around or what trail you are running I may be able to join you! Seeign as I'm not too far away, especially from Telluride! But a quick hop over Ophir gets me to either Silverton or Ouray relatively fast. (y)
Nice info.

I will be in Ouray July 15 to July 18. I plan to do Imogene Pass on Wednesday, July 16. Would you like to do the trail with us (@Robin Hawk, @Desert_Fox, PetitFrereArmada1)?

OP, @Robin Hawk, may be on board to wheel too. But I have not gotten any confirmation yet.

I am currently in contact with @Desert_Fox and it is looking positive that we may be doing the trail together that morning. I have to confirm that with him again.

I have a suggestion. I don't know if it would work for all of us. My suggestion is to do Imogene Pass on Wednesday, July 16. I also suggest starting the trail as early as possible. Any time from 6am to 7am sounds good to me since I was planning to stop a few times on the way for some pictures and fly my drone a bit.

I am open to any ideas. If it works out that we all wheel together, that would be great.

I am currently in New Mexico and on my road trip.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,177 Posts
Nice info.

I will be in Ouray July 15 to July 18. I plan to do Imogene Pass on Wednesday, July 16. Would you like to do the trail with us (@Robin Hawk, @Desert_Fox, PetitFrereArmada1)?

OP, @Robin Hawk, may be on board to wheel too. But I have not gotten any confirmation yet.

I am currently in contact with @Desert_Fox and it is looking positive that we may be doing the trail together that morning. I have to confirm that with him again.

I have a suggestion. I don't know if it would work for all of us. My suggestion is to do Imogene Pass on Wednesday, July 16. I also suggest starting the trail as early as possible. Any time from 6am to 7am sounds good to me since I was planning to stop a few times on the way for some pictures and fly my drone a bit.

I am open to any ideas. If it works out that we all wheel together, that would be great.

I am currently in New Mexico and on my road trip.
I see, well yeah I may be able to join ya'll that day. Are you starting from the Ouray side or Telluride side?

My family leaves for Yellowstone on Friday though so if I cannot make it, it's because we are having to get ready for that trip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I see, well yeah I may be able to join ya'll that day. Are you starting from the Ouray side or Telluride side?

My family leaves for Yellowstone on Friday though so if I cannot make it, it's because we are having to get ready for that trip.
The plan is to leave from the Ouray side. If you do make it to wheel with us, that would be great.

Your Yellowstone trip sounds like fun. I hope you guys have fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are in Ouray but won't be able to trails that early Wednesday. We have to move from the hotel to our vbro which messes with trail plans. We are totally open for Thursday, would love to meet you Hayden but if not
we are coming back next Summit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't thank you guys enough for wheeling with us today. It was really a blast. My best wheeling in Ouray till date. My first time doing Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride. It was really tough, but knowing you guys were with me, eased my feelings and I tackled that trail pretty good.

Then coming back through Ophir was a blast also. My first time doing it from Ophir to Ouray. Quite some traffic on the road, but nice to tackle that with you guys also.

I thank you guys immensely for wheeling with us today. I hope the stars can align again for us to wheel again someday.

I am posting about it on my road trip blog and will share the same story here.

Here is a link to my blog...

My Road Trip, July 2020

1 - 20 of 24 Posts