Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to throw away my old dog-cage that separated the rear from the back seats, as I've installed one of the Tuffy rear drawer units. Has anyone had any luck finding a cage that securely fits between the drawers and the rear seats. Needs to be very safe and not fall over into the cab.

Just had to install a baby seat (three weeks to go and counting until the peanut arrives!) so really need to secure the small hairy critter with a good cage. I also need to keep the dogs in the back too! :)

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I haven't seen anything yet - but I am looking for a cargo barrier that will work with the Tuffy drawer as well - we may need to build it ourselves.

-

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fingers crossed that someone has had some luck finding something, otherwise give me a shout and lets see what we can do . . . . Make a batch of ten while we're at it!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Fingers crossed that someone has had some luck finding something, otherwise give me a shout and lets see what we can do . . . . Make a batch of ten while we're at it!

It's on my "to do" list.

Nobody makes a decent dog barrier (period), let alone one specific for the FJ. I envision one that does not rely on any struts into the cargo area and would have rock solid mounting.

We are pretty busy prepping for FJSummit, maybe I can have something mocked up soon afterwards.

OR:

You can just get in line for Uphills "Scorpion Rack":bigthumb:, it looks like it will bolt into stock mounts and there is no way the dog is going to get past that.

Doc

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks super-strong, although it would have to fit around the drawers and there isn't a bunch of space. I contacted Tuffy to see if a barrier is considered a security option and within their future product set but nothing planned at the moment apparently. Hopefully Erick is reading this too and getting some inspiration :)

The scorpion rack looks awesome but it would be pain having to dismantle and remove the Tuffy to get it in - also I think the drawer system already uses the same mounting locations, but there's always a solution! As long as the solution is solid I'm ok with it - previously I had a cage that just locked in place between the floor and ceiling on a screw-type fitting which worked really well and never moved, however even that could be a bit sketchy now considering I'll have a new-born sat in front of it shortly!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of interest I've been in touch with Lisa at WeatherTech automotive - they make a pet barrier that with a bit of "adjustment" I think will allow a good fit on the top of the Tuffy box. By cutting down the screw-bar and the uprights we should be able to get the overall length down to below the 23 inches required by the Tuffy box. Also the horizontal bars are fully adjustable up and down, and fit widths between 39 and 66 inches, so I reckon one adjusted to 43" wide near the ceiling and one set at 53" above the headrests will do the trick.

I'll get them installed and post some pics if interested.

If you call them, ask for Lisa and mention "FJ Rob" . . might get me a price cut on the bug deflector I'm looking at :D

Also mentioned that they should look at making a custom mat to fit the top of the box - I'd be interested in that, so their design department is investigating.

Pet barrier link

Pet barrier installation link

Weather tech phone - (800) 441-6287 (Illinois)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Out of interest I've been in touch with Lisa at WeatherTech automotive - they make a pet barrier that with a bit of "adjustment" I think will allow a good fit on the top of the Tuffy box. By cutting down the screw-bar and the uprights we should be able to get the overall length down to below the 23 inches required by the Tuffy box. Also the horizontal bars are fully adjustable up and down, and fit widths between 39 and 66 inches, so I reckon one adjusted to 43" wide near the ceiling and one set at 53" above the headrests will do the trick.

I'll get them installed and post some pics if interested.

If you call them, ask for Lisa and mention "FJ Rob" . . might get me a price cut on the bug deflector I'm looking at :D

Also mentioned that they should look at making a custom mat to fit the top of the box - I'd be interested in that, so their design department is investigating.

Pet barrier link

Pet barrier installation link

Weather tech phone - (800) 441-6287 (Illinois)
The one you have pictured looks great. I have been looking around myself for something I can use for my big old Yellow Lab. I plan on a box later, so it looks like I could use it now, and cut it down later. Thanks for the investigation. :cheers:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new animal barrier arrived - a quick bit of modding of the upright tubes to 20" including the rubber base and all good. Works well with the Tuffy box, and looks pretty substantial. Nice amount of adjustment in the location and widths of the cross-bars too.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
You know there are some products which are pretty durable made to partition prisoners in police cars. You may want to look at galls, tufloc, and setina websites. I know they have partitions for tahoes and chargers plus the usual crown vic and impalas. You might even check for a police auction somewhere that would have these for cheap. Something might fit the FJ. Just a thought

1 - 10 of 10 Posts