Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Anyone use ssb on CB ?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DX FJC 
#1 ·
I am currently getting my build list together for suspension , tires and a cb radio and I'm probably going to get this radio :Galaxy DX 979 CB Radio With StarLite Faceplate & Sideband at WalcottCB.com

It has alot of nice features and has gotten very good reviews , and also has SSB .

I was just wandering if anyone here uses the SSB and what are experiences with using SSB VS. normal radio use ?

Thanks .

#2 ·
It's not used very much for local comms and most cb radios only have AM mode so you won't find many people on SSB.

Typically you will find more people on the higher channels up in the 30's. When conditions are right you will hear longer distances on sideband.

Remember you can use SSB (USB or LSB) on any frequency (channel), but most people will be on AM, especially on the trails.

The 979 is a nice radio btw.

#3 ·
Thanks Intense , I have several friends that are also getting this radio and our thoughts were maybe getting a little more range with SSB as opposed to just AM and possibly less radio traffic for our chatter .

I'm still trying to find out if there is really much difference in Talk and Receive range as well .

I guess my thinking is if I were ever to get into any kind of emergency off the trail out in the boonies with no cell signal , that having SSB and regular CB would offer me ways to get help .

#4 ·
^^^^

What 55Rider said.

For that kind of money, you could buy a good 2-meter ham radio that would have a lot more local radio traffic and tons of repeaters to use also.

The last (and only) time I ever used SSB on the cb bands was in Alaska 33 years ago, before I had my ham license. It would go 20 miles in perfectly flat terrain, but 2M ham will do better than that with much better voice quality any day of the week.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks 1911 , I may look into the Ham license in the future but for now this will probably be what I get . They sell a power supply to turn it into a base station as well so if I went Ham that would work well for me .

I just wanted to find out if the range was better on SSB .

1911 , do you have any links for someone looking to get into Ham for beginners ?

TY

#6 · (Edited)
Its good to have options but I wouldn't want to depend on SSB cb.

As 1911 mentioned, going the ham route would offer a more dependable solution but you need to be licensed.

There are a lot of us on here, it's not hard to pass and get a license, you just need to invest in a little time to do it.

This looks to be a good resource for getting started...

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-an-Amateur-Radio-License-in-the-US

Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks Intense , I think after reading some on wiki that the 2 of you have more wisdom than I , lol .

So I'm just going to gather all the info for the Technician test and get a 10 meter radio and be done with it once , instead of spending for 2 radios I can always get a cheap cb for the trails .

Thanks Guy's .

#10 ·
I'm sure you got it figured out by now. SSB is a more efficient way of talking. Usually the upper end of the band is where you will find SSB mostly LSB. With a quality radio SSB will sound just as good if not better than AM. There is always talk of 2m radios doing more, yeah they do have more RF output but everybody forgets about the lower frequency will go farther easier. The VHF/UHF has more attenuation than 27mhz.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.