Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few rust spots underneath on the frame and I've thought about picking up some Fluid Film from my local Lowes since they now sale it at Lowe's.

I just don't want the FJ to turn out like my old 4Runner with chunks of metal falling off lol. On my old 4Runner pieces of metal in the shape of the frame would be falling off lol no joke. Some spots of the frame I had holes eating through.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I have heard real good things about it... Basically, the best thing I find is to get to the underside of your rig at a car wash every couple weeks. I just sand and paint every summer and it looks pretty good for 5years old. Nothing even close to worrying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard real good things about it... Basically, the best thing I find is to get to the underside of your rig at a car wash every couple weeks. I just sand and paint every summer and it looks pretty good for 5years old. Nothing even close to worrying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah mine is nothing bad or anything beyond help lol but I would just rather be on top of it in the best way possibly. I did the sanding and paint to the areas that are accessible but some areas are not so accessible.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I hear good/great things about it, but haven't used it myself yet.

I just ordered one of the Fluid Film "kits" from Kellsport. I made sure to get the flexible 360° wand so I can stick it into the holes in the frame and even coat the inside of it. Should be here this week.

Kit 1 - "pro gun" upgrade and the 32" 360° Flexible Wand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have used it for about 6 years (maybe more)... Apply every year in the fall, touch it up in the spring, you will have NO rust under your truck (I am in Ohio, in salt we trust).

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
ive used it for years. works pretty well. smell goes away after a day or two.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have used it for about 6 years (maybe more)... Apply every year in the fall, touch it up in the spring, you will have NO rust under your truck (I am in Ohio, in salt we trust).
How many spray cans are needed to do the underside?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have used it for years, on my vehicles, tools etc. it works great.

I also use it on my knives (Carbon Steel blades) as they are prone to rust, and the Fluid Film is "Food Grade" less toxic than some of the alternatives, no solvents!!

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, thanks everyone. I plan to do it this weekend.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many spray cans are needed to do the underside?
Unsure how many cans it will take but I plan on buying 4 cans this weekend and I will see how far it gets me. I will reply back and let you know how many cans it takes.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks man. I was thinking if it takes 3 cans or less I would just go with the aerosol, but if it takes more than that I might go with the sprayer kit Fluid Film Undercoat kits

BTW here is an FAQ on vehicle use. Fluid Film Undercoating

·
Registered
246 Posts
Go with the gallon... The stuff is thicker than in the spray cans and seems to "stick" better. I used to use the spray cans, and 4 covers it pretty well, but a gallon will do 3 trucks. I have a couple of buddies that split the gallon with me every year.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
3 Cans will do it. I just did mine with two and that got all the outside of the frame, under and over skids, and some of the other underside body metal. I typically use the third to just douse the inside of the frame wherever I can. Ill probably pick up 2 more next time Im at Lowes. Thatll give me a little extra for touch ups.

If I really wanted to do it right, Id get a can of the Eastwood internal frame coating with the 360 degree wand. Do inside the frame with that and FF the rest.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Use it and have used it, bought several other varieties this year as well. Put them on beginning of Sept. and will hit the underside again perhaps this weekend.

Fluid film certainly wasn't anything magic, in fact, in one spot it took all of a couple weeks for rust to dash my hopes.

But I'll keep at it because I've spent dang near 100hrs sitting under this thing wire brushing rust, perhaps a little grinder here and there, repaint repaint repaint, rust dissolver here, little there, repaint on and on.

Underbody actually looks pretty good at the moment... So I'll keep using fluid film and also messing around with other varieties trying to keep it looking decent. Wire brushing and repainting every year isn't happening, I've had enough.

·
Registered
246 Posts
3 Cans will do it. I just did mine with two and that got all the outside of the frame, under and over skids, and some of the other underside body metal. I typically use the third to just douse the inside of the frame wherever I can. Ill probably pick up 2 more next time Im at Lowes. Thatll give me a little extra for touch ups.

If I really wanted to do it right, Id get a can of the Eastwood internal frame coating with the 360 degree wand. Do inside the frame with that and FF the rest.
I used the eastwood paint when my fj was brand new, then coast the inside with ff each winter. Hope that does it!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Toward the bottom of this page Fluid Film Spray Applicator Guns they have a 24" extension wand for the aerosol can that sprays 360 degrees, so you can insert the wand into places like frames or doors and spray them thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts