Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in here use a portable AC unit when they go camping. I have recently introduced my wife into tent camping. I love to go with her and my 2 little boys (both less than 2). We have lots of time off in the Summer, but it is just too hot for them. I have done a little research and found some decent ones I could easily modify for a tent use. Obviously the insulation factor would be different from a home use.

Any thoughts? Preferrences?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was in the FL keys camping, and saw loads of people in tent sites running standard window a/c units, sitting on milk crates and duct taped in a hole in there tent. I have also seen tents made with a draw string hole in the side just for this. just find a used 115v unit on craigslist or something like that for a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
If you have power at your campsite it's fine. Unless you have a EU2000 generators make them miserable. I used a 99$ window unit from wal-mart, and it was annoying to set up.

I did find when I was using one, that it really helped in the night to sleep, but that's about it. My tent had a hole dedicated to it, But you still had to tape it off to keep it under 80 (at night). The best solution for a tent would be a portable ac unit.

That way you just have to direct to exhaust out through a door and not dick around with trying to trap the cold air in. But you need a decent size tent, plus room in your truck for it, and possibly a generator.

I've tried over and over again to camp in the summer in Texas with a tent. It just doesn't work. It's a fall and spring activity here. The only way to not be miserable seems to be a camping trailer of some sort that can carry a generator pack and has a/c integrated. You might say "just dont camp when it's 100+ degree with 75%+ humidity, and the world is on fire", but for two months thats all we got last summer.... :flame:

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I have been looking at. Although i would prefer a different design. All of these exhaust the hot air to the outside. This would create a negative pressure inside and pull in dust moisture in from the side. I would rather the unit be outside and pump cool air into the inside. This would create a positive and help keep out dust, pollen, insects.

I might look at building a contraption to hold a traditional window unit and funnel the cold air through a hose and into the tent. It might look a little odd, but it may work better and be cheaper.

Realistically I am looking to camp in 90 weather and be able to drop the temp in the tent close to 75* at night.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Does anyone in here use a portable AC unit when they go camping. I have recently introduced my wife into tent camping. I love to go with her and my 2 little boys (both less than 2). We have lots of time off in the Summer, but it is just too hot for them. I have done a little research and found some decent ones I could easily modify for a tent use. Obviously the insulation factor would be different from a home use.

I live in the land of high heat and humidity...swamps of Florida...

I like to camp in primative camp sites or off grid...so I have a quiet Eu2000i Honda gen. I just bought a 5000 BTU A/C unit from Home Depot for $89 as a scratch and dent. I have three huge Deep cycle batteries onboard the FJ and a 2000/4000 Watt Inverter.

I have yet to test how long I can run this small a/c unit off just battery pwr. I also need to figure if I want to build a shrowd to funnel the air into a hose then plumb into the tent. I can buy a portable unit for $400 that is already designed to do so...But after spending a small fortune on the Honda I'm looking for cheap low tech to get the job done.

My buddy used to run a small a/c unit in his Dodge van and that thing was awesome as you could keep the inside down to about 72 deg. in summer.

I have looked everywhere to find a small self contained battery operated a/c unit for camping and yet to see one. I did find something on that line but it was crazy cash and more designed for a astronaut. :lol:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,834 Posts
I think these are what Adventure Trailers had for their roof top tents with their trailers. There are several different models and prices are on a separate page.

!MightyKool Personal Coolers by Swampy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've heard of a few "bucket coolers" that run off water or ice powered by a small 12v fan. I have yet to try one, but the idea seems fair.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I've heard of a few "bucket coolers" that run off water or ice powered by a small 12v fan. I have yet to try one, but the idea seems fair.
Using water is called a swamp cooler. Its a method that many desert homes use to cool themselves. It's not an effective method for a humid environment. Using ice in theory works, but around here it's about a buck for 10 pounds of ice, plus you have to power the fan. 90 degree + temps will kill 20 lbs of ice exposed to air in about an hour. It would probably be fine in the 80s for longer, but at that point you pretty much don't need a/c. If it stayed a wintery 85 here in the summer during the day, life would be great.

Crudely pounded into a post and sent using sausage fingers in a crappy app via a potato.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
This is what I have been looking at. Although i would prefer a different design. All of these exhaust the hot air to the outside. This would create a negative pressure inside and pull in dust moisture in from the side. I would rather the unit be outside and pump cool air into the inside. This would create a positive and help keep out dust, pollen, insects.
No, you won’t get negative pressure in the tent. The air inside is recycled from the inside air. The hot air blowing out the tube is pumped in from the outside. Theoretically, all inside air stays inside and all outside air stays outside. :bigthumb:

Edit - I am completely wrong if you are referring to the units with the hose, which I now believe you are...

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, you won’t get negative pressure in the tent. The air inside is recycled from the inside air. The hot air blowing out the tube is pumped in from the outside. Theoretically, all inside air stays inside and all outside air stays outside. :bigthumb:

Edit - I am completely wrong if you are referring to the units with the hose, which I now believe you are...
Yep. All the ones I have seen have the one hose exhausting hot air (which default would pull outside air into the tent through the vents/fabric/ etc.).

I wish I could camp out in the middle of nowhere. Well I guess I could, but I would be alone. The wife has to have the ammenities of a campground. So I will always have electricity. I have been researching different window ACs and think I can get one from Lowes or Walmart for $100 with a somewhat flat front. I can consctruct a box for it to sit in and funnel the cool air through a hose and into the tent. I imagine I can accomplish this for $200 total and it weigh around 50lbs. Estimated size about 24"x24"x20" or less. Right now my only concern would be the AC having to constantly cool higher outside temperatures. I have a feeling this would hurt the "cooling" ability of the AC if not also the functionability.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like that. However I broke down this summer and bought a little pop-up camper. AC works great in it! I don't feel as rugged or manly, but the wife likes it. This means we will camp more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone in here use a portable AC when they go camping. I have recently introduced my wife into tent camping. I love to go with her and my 2 little boys (both less than 2). We have lots of time off in the Summer, but it is just too hot for them. I have done a little research and found some decent ones I could easily modify for a tent use. Obviously the insulation factor would be different from a home use.

As long as you can provide the right power supply, please choose LGLP1017WSR. Unlike other ACs, its moisture relies on automatic evaporation to evaporate, which means no need to install an exhaust hose. The vent-up design allows the cold air to flow evenly throughout the cabin, and the family does not catch a cold because it always faces the air outlet.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,329 Posts
I've read somewhere that airflow over the body from a fan is enough to keep the body cool when sleeping. I personally haven't tried it yet but plan to this coming summer in NM

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,587 Posts
I've read somewhere that airflow over the body from a fan is enough to keep the body cool when sleeping. I personally haven't tried it yet but plan to this coming summer in NM
Those Shiftpods are pricey but very nice, the AC is a nice addition but man that’s expensive and HEAVY at 160 lbs.

I can easily sleep in a dry environment at a reasonable temp but down here there’s no evaporative effect and it’s very sticky most of the year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts