Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shopping around the past week or so for quotes to wrap my roof on my 08 in Sandstorm. Was quoted somewhere between 450-600 potentially higher since they’d have to custom print it since none of the swatches they have match it even somewhat remotely and each custom test run is $45 on top of the price which could probably be 5-10 attempts. Not including the trunk door jamb. They all said they won’t be EXACT exact, but they’d try their best and they actually don’t recommend trying to color match but going for an entirely different color. Any pics you can provide? Are you happy with your decision?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

This is a local member here, who wrapped his whole FJ in Sand colour. I met him in person a few times, and checked out his truck. Colour match was amazing to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is a local member here, who wrapped his whole FJ in Sand colour. I met him in person a few times, and checked out his truck. Colour match was amazing to my untrained eye.
Wow! That’s looks close! Only issue is that’s a complete vehicle wrap so no way to tell if it exactly matches the factory sandstorm.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Wow! That’s looks close! Only issue is that’s a complete vehicle wrap so no way to tell if it exactly matches the factory sandstorm.
Correct. We had another sand storm locally to compare, and it was a super close match. But you are right, who knows if you do it on a roof of a Sandstorm, to see how that will turn out

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You may be deathly against this, but I hated my white top, and I am an avid whitewater boater and beat the top of my FJ to death with my boats. So, I got mine Line-X 'ed. Since my vehicle is black, it was an easy color to do, but I love the results. Yes, the texture is a little different, but I dig the look. They can color match that as well. Just thought I would throw that idea out there. It cost around $800.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrapped my 07 FJ's roof gloss black (my truck is metallic black) looks great.. no one notices the difference..
Looks fantastic. I can’t tell the difference! I considered a hood wrap as well. Its impossible to avoid those rock chips...what did you pay if you don’t mind me asking

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks fantastic. I can’t tell the difference! I considered a hood wrap as well. Its impossible to avoid those rock chips...what did you pay if you don’t mind me asking
Roof & hood were $600 if I remember correctly.. I pulled the roof rack myself, I also purchased new windshield washer nozzles (they were brittle from the sun) just remember the white goes inside the door an hatch jambs so the wrap has to cover all of that too..

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
@treehouse1441 If you haven't taken yours in yet, you should try it yourself...unless you specifically want a color very close to match. I have a black 07 that I DIYed with matte black from vivid. Bought enough to wrap the roof twice cuz I was pretty sure it wouldn't look that great the first time. Second time came out almost perfect. Pretty good for a novice, imo. Cost about $150.

TIP: knifeless tape will save you from trying to manually cut off the excess and in straight lines at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@treehouse1441 If you haven't taken yours in yet, you should try it yourself...unless you specifically want a color very close to match. I have a black 07 that I DIYed with matte black from vivid. Bought enough to wrap the roof twice cuz I was pretty sure it wouldn't look that great the first time. Second time came out almost perfect. Pretty good for a novice, imo. Cost about $150.

TIP: knifeless tape will save you from trying to manually cut off the excess and in straight lines at the same time.

View attachment 1134983 View attachment 1134984

View attachment 1134983 View attachment 1134984
That looks fantastic you did a great job! After going to about 6 different shops, since I have a sandstorm FJ, none of them had a color in their swatch book that could get close since it’s a more unique color. Black is black so I imagine it’d be easier. Now I’m forced to go the paint route!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
That looks fantastic you did a great job! After going to about 6 different shops, since I have a sandstorm FJ, none of them had a color in their swatch book that could get close since it’s a more unique color. Black is black so I imagine it’d be easier. Now I’m forced to go the paint route!
Thanks! I’ll probably redo it one more time in the future bc it could be better. Anyway, Vivid has a color similar to sandstorm. Looks pretty close, but my only comparison is from photos.
VViViD+ Matte Rally Beige Vinyl Wrap Roll (10ft x 5ft) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7KBPWV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gHKiFbRTQZQRR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts