Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... i live in nyc... and only have gone off roading once on a beach... I need to go somewhere with my truck, anyone know any good spots that arein the nyc area... not to far but a great place to go wheeling that not only sand, but with some hills and mud... thanks

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
come on down, we are wheeling in Tenn this Saturday.. or come to harlan kentucky in August.. be glad to have you..

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't know where in the city you are but last Thursday I drove around the roads on the edge of the Hudson in Riverdale/Bronx. It's not quite an offroad park like Rausch Creek in PA but is was pretty impressive for city streets.

Rausch is at: Rausch Creek Off Road Park

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Rausch Creek is in Pennsylvania and is an awesome place. If some folks decide to go I would join them in a heartbeat. This place is killer and worth the trip. Their is plenty of trails for both novie and exp. drivers. I was thinking of getting a fathers day run going. Any interest?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't know where in the city you are but last Thursday I drove around the roads on the edge of the Hudson in Riverdale/Bronx.
I'd like to learn more about this since Riverdale is a stones throw from me.

I take the long way home through Bedford and Mt Kisco in Westchester. While not considered 'off-roading', the roads are unpaved and after a nice rain (like yesterday) are quite muddy. Do a google maps search for Guard Hill Road, Bedford NY. The entire area is unpaved, and surrounded my 8 figure mansions. If you own an auto FJ, It's a good place to flip your car into 4x4 to get the components nice and lubricated.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
There isn't anything"OFF ROAD" here in Riverdale. Just some scenic busted up road drives. They are truely scenic, and the houses are amazing.
There was something in Yonkers right off the Sprain and Jackson Ave. (if your heading south bound on the Sprain, just south off Jackson Ave look to your rigth). For awhile they blocked access to it, but recently I have seen a few rigs in there. But again I haven't wheel there, so I cannot say for sure.
There is an semi Offroad shop on Yonkers Ave Between the Thruway and the SawMill. Maybe those guys can off up some info. I will ask the next time I past through there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was just joking about Riverdale. Although the narrow, twisting streets with badly broken up pavement is a bit of a challenge, there really is no legitimate off roading anywhere in the NY downstate area with the exception of all the "permit holders only" beaches out on Long Island. But just imagine an offorading park in Central Park? Wow!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was just joking about Riverdale. Although the narrow, twisting streets with badly broken up pavement is a bit of a challenge, there really is no legitimate off roading anywhere in the NY downstate area with the exception of all the "permit holders only" beaches out on Long Island. But just imagine an offorading park in Central Park? Wow!

Central Park would be an awesome place to wheel
There are even some sweet boulders to climb
I am not sure how deep the lake is but maybe if you had the snorkel

But for night wheeling highly recomended MODS include
Bullet proof glass and lights
run flat tires (in case they get shot out)
night vision with heat sensor goggles to see the "felons" hiding in the woods waiting to car jack you
Electrified Body Armor (Electrified for the "felons" who are brave enough to try to get too close)

LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts