Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd throw this one out there, and see if there was any interest.

I just got done claying and waxing the FJ last weekend, but with the way the weather has been this week, I'm thinking it might be time to get it dirty again!! :rofl: Anyone game for hitting up the trails Sunday? Brewnasty, FJC Boulder, and I did Miller Rock last week, and checked out Bunt School Road on our way back to Lyons. I'm not sure if Bunt School is open all the way through yet, or if anything new is open, but I'm game for where ever, as long as its not more driving than offroading. Throw up a post if you're down! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I'm in if I don't end up heading back up to the Empire area that day (I have very tentative plans on that one). :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in if I don't end up heading back up to the Empire area that day (I have very tentative plans on that one). :)
Cool beans. If you're around, do you have any preference on a trail? Lyons is quite a trek from the Denver area, but Left Hand Canyon is getting old after playing up there 6 or 7 times. :rofl: I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Anything but Left Hand Canyon sounds great to me. :)

Lyons isn't too much of a trek, as long as we don't do it too early in the morning. Miller Rock and Bunce School Rd. looked fun. Not sure if you'd want to do them again so soon, but I'd be up for those. Really, anything but LHC I'd be in for. :bigthumb:

I should know tomorrow night if I'll be around for these Sunday.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I will be out of town on a fossil hunting trip this weekend.

Camp Dick is still closed. So, you won't be able to get all the way through on Bunce. It will be a dead end, but still a nice ride if you're into that sort of thing. Whether Ironclads is open or not I think depends on snow. So, you could give that one a try. Probably can't get to the Plane Crash trail though (unless I'm recalling incorrectly about where the gate is on that end).

West Magnolia is now open....at least on the northern (Nederland) side....not sure about all the way up and over the hill to the Rollinsville side. If it's open, that would be a nice ride through the forest. I have no idea how much snow there is on it right now, but as a warning....don't do it if it's really snowy....coming down the other side into Rollinsville is very steep and slippery in some spots (somebody in our group slid quite a bit last time, and almost went off into the trees). Good MTs will help, but I was even uncomfortable. Basically, just remember that you may have to go back down worse conditions than what you're going up through (and slippery is always worse going down), and let that be your guide for how far to go up. Of course, it's been so hot that there may not even be any snow left at all.

enjoy, and let us know how it went, whatever you get into :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Where you guys meeting? I usually follow Jess wherever, I'm sure she's tired of hearing "I'm following you" by now :)

I don't plan on following down Metberry next Sunday though haha

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be out of town on a fossil hunting trip this weekend.

Camp Dick is still closed. West Magnolia is now open....at least on the northern (Nederland) side....not sure about all the way up and over the hill to the Rollinsville side. If it's open, that would be a nice ride through the forest. I have no idea how much snow there is on it right now, but as a warning....don't do it if it's really snowy....coming down the other side into Rollinsville is very steep and slippery in some spots (somebody in our group slid quite a bit last time, and almost went off into the trees). Good MTs will help, but I was even uncomfortable. Basically, just remember that you may have to go back down worse conditions than what you're going up through (and slippery is always worse going down), and let that be your guide for how far to go up. Of course, it's been so hot that there may not even be any snow left at all.

enjoy, and let us know how it went, whatever you get into :cheers:
Thanks for all the great info! :rocker: Shoud we get a ways into and decide to bail, are there spots where can pull off and turn around? I'm getting pretty good at being able to go ou in reverse if I have too in tight spots, but am partial to going forward! :rofl: Bummed its been so long since we hung out, and I definintely want to get up wheeling with you again soon. :bigthumb: Enjoy your weekend!

Anything but Left Hand Canyon sounds great to me. :)

Lyons isn't too much of a trek, as long as we don't do it too early in the morning. Miller Rock and Bunce School Rd. looked fun. Not sure if you'd want to do them again so soon, but I'd be up for those. Really, anything but LHC I'd be in for. :bigthumb:

I should know tomorrow night if I'll be around for these Sunday.
What's the good word, Ms. Jess? Are you going to be able to join us tommorrow?

Where you guys meeting? I usually follow Jess wherever, I'm sure she's tired of hearing "I'm following you" by now :)

I don't plan on following down Metberry next Sunday though haha
I just spoke with FJC_Boulder, and we're thinking fo meeting at the Home Depot off 29th and Araphoe in Boulder around 1130. Plan is basically to head up to Western Magnolia (FS 105), and check out the surrounding areas.

Does this time/plan work for you guys? I only live about 10-15 minutes from Boulder, so I can be flexible about meet up time. In addition, we could check out some other stuff if anyone has any ideas. If everyone is down, I would have no problem checking out Bunce School road along with Western Mag.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
OK I'm a definite, see you guys in Boulder tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but I'm in. :)

See you guys at the Home Depot at 11:30!

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great day of wheeling. The gate for 105 out of west Mag, just south of Nederland, was closed. So we hit up Miller Rock, the late season snow has really kept a lot of trails closed. Miller rock was fun as usual but I'm getting antsy for some other trails to open.

Good meeting you jimmy-buffett, good seeing you again Jesster, and Madman it's always a good time. Madman had a tire blow out on the trail so we got to put Jesster's Hi-Lift to use. Nothing like making it out off the trail with an almost bald street tire with a nail in it :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
It was great wheeling with all of you again! The highlight of my day - although I'm sure Madman#1 won't agree :) - was getting to use the Hi Lift for the first time.

Miller Rock was a fun trail but *narrow*! I'll have to check, but I think I actually have a few scratches now that are more than the typical pinstriping. I'll post up my pics when I get a chance, but it might not be until tomorrow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Madman had a tire blow out on the trail so we got to put Jesster's Hi-Lift to use. Nothing like making it out off the trail with an almost bald street tire with a nail in it :lol:
It was great wheeling with all of you again! The highlight of my day - although I'm sure Madman#1 won't agree :) - was getting to use the Hi Lift for the first time.

Miller Rock was a fun trail but *narrow*! I'll have to check, but I think I actually have a few scratches now that are more than the typical pinstriping. I'll post up my pics when I get a chance, but it might not be until tomorrow.
I'm glad you both got a kick out of my bad day. Thanks for the help with the hi-lift and rock-rail adaptor. Guess I can't make fun of Hi-Lifts any more even though I'm pretty sure it would have taken about 1/4 the time if I just used the bottle jack! :rofl: I still have no idea what I hit! The gash is smooth and clean like I hit a piece of sheet metal, but whatev. Already knew my spare was a crappy bald Dunlop, but was pretty irritated when we saw that nail! :flame: Ah well........still was able to climb up the rock Jimmy is posing on, so not a total loss! :bigthumb: Plus now I'll have 5 matching tires for the NEXT time some gremlin jumps out of the bushes and bites my tire! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

OH, and it didn't stop there guys!!! I got home and took my bling plate off since I'm over beating on it, and the bolt head on the drivers side front IFS mount that the bling-plate support mounts up to sheered right off!!! Ironically, I think its the same one that FJC Boulder's rig is missing. :lol:

Anywho, x4 on the great day of wheeling (minus my blown tire, nail in spare, engine start problems, sheered bling plate bolt...), and thank you guys so much for helping a brother out when I gashed my sidewall!! :clap: Think "blow-out" may be a bit of an overstatement considering the tire still took 3-5 minutes to go flat with a 4" gash clear through the sidewall!!! :rofl:

I'll post videos of the mud hole, and other shannigans when I figure out how to do it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:rocker:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FJC Boulder, Jesster, and Jimmy_Buffet

And this was on the BALD SPARE! :rofl:

Jesster's skids!

Jimmy's:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Thanks for the pics! The skids aren't looking quite as bad as I thought. :)

P.S. - you forgot bald *and* with a nail stuck in for good measure. The nail might have given you a traction advantage...like a studded tire. :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts