Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has seen the FJ in person have kids or is familar enough with child seats to help answer a question?

Right now my son is 6 months old and in the rear facing seat that sits in a base. He is really close to needing a rear facing child seat that is designed for kids over 20lbs. These things are HUGE and I am worried that it won't fit in the FJ.

I am 5'10" (to give you an idea of where the drivers seat would be positioned) and I plan on putting his seat in the middle of the FJ's rear seat.

The convertible child seats that handle 5 to 60ish pounds tend to be the biggest and when they are installed in the rear-facing position they tend to take up a lot of rooom.

Anyone familar with these and how they would fit in the FJ please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!!

-Granger

·
Registered
378 Posts
I haven't seen anything, but I'm sure Toyota their will have to be some compliance with the whole LATCH system. This will be concern for me as well. It's hard to tell from photos...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
granger said:
Has anyone who has seen the FJ in person have kids or is familar enough with child seats to help answer a question?

Right now my son is 6 months old and in the rear facing seat that sits in a base. He is really close to needing a rear facing child seat that is designed for kids over 20lbs. These things are HUGE and I am worried that it won't fit in the FJ.

I am 5'10" (to give you an idea of where the drivers seat would be positioned) and I plan on putting his seat in the middle of the FJ's rear seat.

The convertible child seats that handle 5 to 60ish pounds tend to be the biggest and when they are installed in the rear-facing position they tend to take up a lot of rooom.

Anyone familar with these and how they would fit in the FJ please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!!

-Granger
i have two kids, but both are in booster seats now, so not much of a concern for me. however the rear facing seats are bulky and complicated to fit into small spaces safely. ill be at the la show and ill try to remember to assess the backseat for rear facing - ill be doing that already for the booster seats - need to know how much kicking im going to feel on the back of the seat from the little ones. from the looks of it by the photos the backseats dont looko too spacious - im not expecting them to be - but hopefully they'll have enough room. you could always do what i did, scoot up the passenger seat and force your passenger to be the uncomfortable one. usually worked to disuade coworkers from bumming long rides at least.

anyway, ill check it at the la show in jan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Granger, finally I can be of some assistance. I don't know dick about 4 wheeling but I know kids. I happen to be a Pediatric Intensive Care physician and have 3 kids. You can almost always fit at least 3 car seats in the rear seats although buckling the booster seats are a pain in the ass. If you only have one child, the rear facing, and later the forward facing seat should fit fine in the middle. Even if the seat space is narrow, the seats before booster let the seat override the seating space and the seat belt to be moved as far as it needs to the side. Now, when you have three kids in car seats in a 95 Accord, things get a lot tighter- that's when you suck it up and get a mini-van or a third row mobile. Kudos for buckling the little tike in tight. Damn, and I thought I was reliving my college days with a bunch of beer guzzling, women chasing tough guys...It's great getting old isn't it...A

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the exact info you're asking for, but this may help. I did notice LATCH points in one of the Cruisers I was looking at in Greenville. I didn't sit in the middle of the rear seat, but I did sit in the rear on both sides and was very comfortable.(My legs did touch the seat back when it was all the way back.) I'm 6'-0", 250 lbs. I don't think you'll have a problem, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
166 Posts
all three back seats have the anchor attachment points in the back of the rear seats. however put you little one in the middle. it's safer for the kid in case you get hit broadside. plus you may be able to recline both front seats since the child seat will be in the middle and hopefully not in the way of either front seat. talk about feeling older md cruiser and beer drinking days, and car seats and all, that was me a while back. my little ones are 15 and 18 and driveing their own cars now. good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

My intention is to put him in the middle but it will come down to whether the FJ can fit a +20lb rear facing seat with both the driver's and passenger's seats in a comfortable position. Once he is forward facing it won't be a problem

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hope you realize what a royal pain in the ass it is going to be to get a kid out of the back middle seat of a two door truck.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
ToyBox said:
I hope you realize what a royal pain in the ass it is going to be to get a kid out of the back middle seat of a two door truck.
especially when they start biting :D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the FJ isn't our primary mode of getting jr. around. My wife's accord handles the bulk of those tasks. I just need to know if I can fit the car seats.

Plus, if I was my sole requirement for a new car was ease of child loading most SUV's would be out in favor of the dreaded minivan.

·
Registered
181 Posts
granger said:
Plus, if I was my sole requirement for a new car was ease of child loading most SUV's would be out in favor of the dreaded minivan.
True, that is why I have a Sienna in addition to the 4Runner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the dreaded minivan...............yep, nobody buys one because they want one. only because they need one.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
No but I seen the FJ but lost the kids

1 - 13 of 13 Posts