Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started with the ARB breather kit, which I received as a Christmas present :). It is a great kit, and the supplied push-to-connect fittings will screw directly into the rear diff if you want to use them. I wanted to use this kit for both the rear diff and locker, as well as the front auto trans and transfer case vents.

This required some additional parts:

Large barb and union connector for larger vent hose in front:
1 each: Legris 3122 08 56 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Barbed Connector, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD x 1/4" Barbed Tube OD ($3.06 ea)
Legris 3122 08 56 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Barbed Connector, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD x 1/4" Barbed Tube OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1 each: Legris 3106 08 00 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Union, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD ($3.55 ea)
Legris 3106 08 00 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Union, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Small barbs and reducing union connectors, one for rear elocker, two for smaller front vents:
3 each: Legris 3122 04 53 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Barbed Connector, 5/32" or 4 mm Tube OD x 1/8" Barbed Tube OD ($2.02 ea)
Legris 3122 04 53 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Barbed Connector, 5/32" or 4 mm Tube OD x 1/8" Barbed Tube OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
3 each: Legris 3106 04 08 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Union, 5/32" or 4 mm x 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD ($6.18 ea)
Legris 3106 04 08 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Inline Union, 5/32" or 4 mm x 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Elbows for cleaner hose routing, one used at rear diff, one used on ARB manifold (the straight fitting supplied with the ARB kit will work, but the elbows makes for cleaner hose routing - these are optional):
2 each: Legris 3109 08 10 Nylon & Nickel-Plated Brass Push-to-Connect Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD x 1/8" BSPT Male ($4.81 ea)
Legris 3109 08 10 Nylon & Nickel-Plated Brass Push-to-Connect Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD x 1/8" BSPT Male: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Y-Adapters, one used to merge rear diff and elocker vents, one used to merge two front small vents:
2 each: Legris 3140 08 00 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Wye, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD ($5.32 ea)
Legris 3140 08 00 Nylon Push-to-Connect Fitting, Wye, 5/16" or 8 mm Tube OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

So basically, I spent another $50 in parts to fully adapt this kit to the FJ Cruiser. Prices are from Amazon, but may be cheaper elsewhere. You have to decide if the additional cost is worth it to you, on top of the $68 for the ARB breather kit. You can purchase FJNewb’s kit for $95. The difference is the size of the line (ARB uses larger 8mm) and type of air filter. I would do it again given the choice, as the larger air line in the ARB kit gives me a greater sense of comfort.

Here are some install pics:

I mounted the manifold using a home-made aluminum bracket and one of the Shrockworks mounting bolts. Two airlines going towards firewall are for front vents, single line from elbow fitting for rear diff and locker.

The line to the rear goes down to the passenger-side framerail, through the very convenient rock-light mounting holes on my metal tech sliders, and in through a hole in the frame:

This same line was then run through the frame rail, through a small hole into the rear crossmember, and then out through a hole in the bottom of the rear crossmember. This fully protects the line from the exhaust.

From there I ran the line into a y-connector, and then to the elocker vent and rear diff, using additional parts listed above.

Looking up at the rear crossmember, from left to right: air lines from ARB manifold and rear diff, y-adapter, short section of 8mm line, reducer union, small barb, elocker hose

rear diff connection using 90 deg elbow:

For the front, I used the two small barbs and one large barb, along with the unions and y-adapter to plug into the three vent lines behind the engine. The large vent got a dedicated line from the manifold, while the two small lines were merged with a y-adapter into a single line going to the manifold. This was a major PITA for me due to limited space, but got it done. One caution, if you pull too hard on the smaller breather lines, they will unclip from their mounting points along the top of the transmission. I had to drop my skids to feel around up there and manage to re-clip them in.

Hope this helps folks considering different breather options.
Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Thanks! Nice timing!

I am preparing to install my kit!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Double Post!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Looks good...do you have enough slack at the rear axle for full droop?

edit: nevermind..i guess if that harness has enough, that line sure will.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
You should sheath those air lines where they run through the frame so that they don't wear through. There's a lot of undercarriage montion off road that could create a lot of chaffing. Something a simple as tubing of a larger diameter split an zip tied would work. ;)

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should sheath those air lines where they run through the frame so that they don't wear through. There's a lot of undercarriage montion off road that could create a lot of chaffing. Something a simple as tubing of a larger diameter split an zip tied would work. ;)
Good Idea! I have had to take a pause due to the extreme cold, and my FJ being in the shop thanks to an irresponsible driver deciding to bypass traffic and hitting me as he was passing on the shoulder...

Can't wait to get my FJ back to normal. Right now waiting on a new front bumper from aluminess...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hey Shawn,

Just wanted to thank you again for a great post! I was so busy before the FJ Summit that I did not have time to install my breather kit so I brought it with me just in case. After the Wednesday night run up to Imogene Pass I realized the water levels at the crossings were getting deeper due to all the rain so the next day I installed the rear breathers. I ran the main rear breather hose (before the split) on the driver's side since I had already found a safe route for my front compressor hose and power wiring. I will relocate the front breathers later this week. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Briareos,
I remember seeing this and thinking it looked amazing. Finally getting around to it and the install pics have disappeared! Any chance you still have them saved somewhere? Just trying to picture how it all goes together around the diff.
Thanks!

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
Those plastic hoses did NOT last long for me. I ended up redoing it with a simple brass barbed connector on my rear diff and some washer fluid hose routed up into my engine bay.

Reactions: JG1967
1 - 12 of 12 Posts