Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK—I have a stock ’07 FJC with an ARB Bull Bar, no winch or extra lights, 33,000 miles, 11,000 miles since the bumper was installed. It rides slightly lower in the front than a stock FJC without a bumper or grill guard, but not by much. I know the long-term solution is to get a “real lift,” but in the meantime, I’d like to lift only the front, just by 1”-2” to level things. What’s my best option for a decent medium-to-low height front spacer kit? I’ve seen similar questions posted about this and I want to see if anyone has new suggestions.

Another reason that I don’t want to go “all out” is that I have very new Firestone MTs and I don’t want to raise the vehicle too high until I need to get new (bigger) tires. (If you ask me, having a big lift and tires that are stock size = a little dorky.) Also, I’m trying to avoid the front being higher than the back. I’ve checked a lot of the typical companies (ToyTec, Rough Country, etc.) and it seems like my options are pretty limited if I lift the front, only.

Thanks for your advice,
FjThis!

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
OK—I have a stock ’07 FJC with an ARB Bull Bar, no winch or extra lights, 33,000 miles, 11,000 miles since the bumper was installed. It rides slightly lower in the front than a stock FJC without a bumper or grill guard, but not by much. I know the long-term solution is to get a “real lift,” but in the meantime, I’d like to lift only the front, just by 1”-2” to level things. What’s my best option for a decent medium-to-low height front spacer kit? I’ve seen similar questions posted about this and I want to see if anyone has new suggestions.

Another reason that I don’t want to go “all out” is that I have very new Firestone MTs and I don’t want to raise the vehicle too high until I need to get new (bigger) tires. (If you ask me, having a big lift and tires that are stock size = a little dorky.) Also, I’m trying to avoid the front being higher than the back. I’ve checked a lot of the typical companies (ToyTec, Rough Country, etc.) and it seems like my options are pretty limited if I lift the front, only.

Thanks for your advice,
FjThis!
Here we go again, this obsession to "level" the FJ. Unless your front suspension is bottoming out or compromising road performance, why try to level out the vehicle? The stock FJ does not come level. I guess it comes down to "looks".

I have the ARB bumper with a Warn 8000 and have installed the OME heavies in front with the mediums for the rear and my FJ still looks slightly lower in the front. My guess is the stock FJ was designed to have a lower front end for performance and wind resistance benefits. Personally, I can see the trail better with a slightly lower front end.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You need beefier springs than stock to handle the weight of the ARB bumper. A spacer lift with the stock coils is a bandaid fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, guys. Just a couple of things I'd like to reiterate where I'm at with this:

1) I know spacers are just a temporary (band aide) fix, but cash is limited right now and I can't afford a full setup with upgraded springs, shocks and tires. When I have more cash and need a new set of tires, I'd love to get a good, all around setup.

2) I'm not obsessed with looks and I realize stock FJs aren't level, either. On the other hand, I've lost about an inch of front-end clearance that I wouldn't mind getting back for now. As you can see by my pic, this thing does more than just mall crawling. An inch or two in the front can make a big difference. You make a good point, though - it's not necessary to lift the front when I can wait a couple of years and do everything better.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
A spacer lift will work for what you need it to. I'd recommend the style that bolts on to the top of the coilover and that you don't have to take the coilover apart to install. Much easier to install this type. Or, cheaper to install if you are having a shop do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts