Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first mod I want to do when my new Cruiser comes in is to add a wench and a bull bar like the one on the blue Cruiser at SEMA. I've used vehicles with bull bars installed, but I've never installed one myself. Can anyone out there with more experience tell me if adding the bull bar is something I can easily do myself, or is there some reason I would need to pay to have it installed? (I have reasonable mechanical ability, but I don't own an auto shop.) I didn't know if it just bolts on, or if installation requires welding, cutting, etc...

With regards to the wench, I was thinking about getting a MileMarker hydraulic wench instead of a Warn wench. Anybody out there have any thoughts/experience with the MileMarker wenches?

·
Registered
18 Posts
WEll, the one at SEMA was actually three ARB bumpers merged into one..

So that one might be a bit on the tough side.

other than that, if you are mildly mechanically inclined there should be no reason that you could not instal one of the ARB bumpers yourself.

Major complication would be amking sure you don't set off the airbags ;)

For a good wench I reccomend the Hard Rock Cafe basically anywhere. Wenches everywhere.

For a Winch (as in extraction tool) there are a bunch of good options out there. Chances are you won't be using it all that often. Get the one that fits the best in your bumper.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ramblin Wreck said:
The first mod I want to do when my new Cruiser comes in is to add a wench and a bull bar like the one on the blue Cruiser at SEMA. I've used vehicles with bull bars installed, but I've never installed one myself. Can anyone out there with more experience tell me if adding the bull bar is something I can easily do myself, or is there some reason I would need to pay to have it installed? (I have reasonable mechanical ability, but I don't own an auto shop.) I didn't know if it just bolts on, or if installation requires welding, cutting, etc...

With regards to the wench, I was thinking about getting a MileMarker hydraulic wench instead of a Warn wench. Anybody out there have any thoughts/experience with the MileMarker wenches?
Any bull bar that ARB comes out with for your FJC will be a complete bolt on unit. Really simple to swap out with the factory bumper so there would be no need to pay a shop to install it for you if you are the least bit mechanically inclined.

As for winch options, I would suggest an electric winch over a hydro. I have winches front and rear on my rig. A Warn 8274 in front and a Warn M8000 in the rear...both of which are electric winches. The major downside of a hydro winch is that if your vehicle won't start, you ain't using the winch. At least with an electric winch you can run it whether the engine will start or not...that is IF the battery is charged! :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
My fiancee was telling me she wanted to get a wench for the FJ.

I said "I thought you didn't want to share me with anyone, much less someone hanging out on the bumper of the truck!"

She then proceeded to look up the word and called me a "stinker and a half".

It was too hard to resist. :D

- LC

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
My fiancee was telling me she wanted to get a wench for the FJ.

I said "I thought you didn't want to share me with anyone, much less someone hanging out on the bumper of the truck!"

She then proceeded to look up the word and called me a "stinker and a half".

It was too hard to resist. :D

- LC
blahahahahaha

do yo still get the wench though??

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Cheaper, too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with this?
Source=FJ Owner's Manual pg44
NOTICE​
Do not perform any of the following
changes without consulting your
Toyota dealer. Such changes can
interfere with proper operation of the
seat belt pretensioners in some
cases.
 Installation of electronic devices
such as a mobile two−way radio,
cassette tape player or compact
disc player
 Repairs on or near the front seat
belt retractor assemblies
 Modification of the front end structure
 Attachment of a grille guard (bull
bar, kangaroo bar, etc.), snowplow,
winches or any other equipment to
the front end
 Repairs made on or near the front
fenders, front end structure or console
Just thought I'd bring it up. Maybe you guys aren't concerned.

·
Registered
106 Posts
arb winches come with a bull bar and i say you mine as well get the bumper that comes with the fj it has a winch pocket for a winch

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
toyota homie said:
the sema car has the bumper that comes with the truck its a option

If you are talking about the green one, there has been no mention at all of a factory installed winch that fits in the factory bumper. It may be possible, but toyota will probably not offer it.

If you are talking about the blue one, that is a heavily modded one made specifically for sema. While everything seen on that truck is possible almost none of it comes from Toyota, including that bumper.

Just trying too keep things clear

-Granger

·
Registered
589 Posts
Eclectic said:
Does anyone have a problem with this?

Just thought I'd bring it up. Maybe you guys aren't concerned.
Heard ARB bumper will soon be able to be purchased direct from Toyota as a factory option (sadly for more money of course). I cant confirm it but I read it on one my many meanderings over the web.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hell, i'm a single guy, and i'll take the fj concept (plastic wench) with my fjc. Fake, looks and feels great if ya know what i mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts