Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I am in the process of installing a Bull bar with a 9.5xp from Warn. I went to the ARB site and it said a 9.5xp will work with the bumper. The fit kit with the bumper supplied 2 cables to go in the control box, replacing 2 stock ones. When I got to the "hook up the cables part" they are too short. 1 of them will work either blue or green I cant remember now, but tight. The other (blue or green) about 2 inches short. Then Yellow or A, is like 4 inches short!!! I did use the mount bracket supplied by ARB that mounts the control box up and at an angle. So WTF??? Has anyone done this combo? Did ya have issues with cables? I am wondering if I should let someone know so this problem can be looked at. I just am lucky that while FJ is in pieces, I still have old faithful, my 20 year old 4 runner.

BirdMan

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Ok so I am in the process of installing a Bull bar with a 9.5xp from Warn. I went to the ARB site and it said a 9.5xp will work with the bumper. The fit kit with the bumper supplied 2 cables to go in the control box, replacing 2 stock ones. When I got to the "hook up the cables part" they are too short. 1 of them will work either blue or green I cant remember now, but tight. The other (blue or green) about 2 inches short. Then Yellow or A, is like 4 inches short!!! I did use the mount bracket supplied by ARB that mounts the control box up and at an angle. So WTF??? Has anyone done this combo? Did ya have issues with cables? I am wondering if I should let someone know so this problem can be looked at. I just am lucky that while FJ is in pieces, I still have old faithful, my 20 year old 4 runner.

BirdMan
I had the same issues except w/ a MM 8000. We just purchased longer cables and adapted them for our particular install.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I love that bumper. Nice pic COOKN.

Good luck BirdMan. ARB's Tech department is on the ball, so if you call them I am sure they can help you.
Thanks Joel--

I have a problem with the dreaded lean to the drivers side with the OME install. I called ARB and they will send me all new springs if necessary. It's still under advisement but I have total faith in them doing the right thing. We may try the trim packer first---then go from there.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

BirdMan
Email on the way.....:rocker:

(Hey!!! This was post #1500 for me. Yippie!)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Thanks Joel--

I have a problem with the dreaded lean to the drivers side with the OME install. I called ARB and they will send me all new springs if necessary. It's still under advisement but I have total faith in them doing the right thing. We may try the trim packer first---then go from there.

:cheers:
Trim the packer? You put the packer on the drivers side right? Between to coil seat cup and welded ring on the shock? Did you use a 5mm or 10mm?

I have installed and assembled two sets of OME front coils so far and will be doing a third (on another members rig) shortly. Maybe I can help...

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. Went to West Marine in P Cola, open on Sunday, and presto!!! Wire install done, and when Apexbasher gets here we will hammer that heavy Beotch into place. Yaaaaaaa :rocker: This group rocks :rocker:

BirdMan

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

BirdMan
ARB went by dimensional information provided by Warn, but did not know that Warn reversed the cable exit on the 9.5xp solenoid control box (that's the cause of the problem). There are 2 basic solutions:

1) make longer connecting cables for the solenoid box than those that come with the ARB bumper.

2) Mount the solenoid box off-center, so that the provided cables will reach the winch. (This will prevent mounting lights on the top of the bumper, however)

I have the 9.5xp in mine, and I constructed longer cables - works perfect.
ARB does not actually mount every winch in every bumper - they go by size information provided by the winch manufacturer - so don't get too angry at them.:simmadown:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK install done, everything is good in my world. Huge thanks to Apexbasher for stopping by with the install experience. Squared away guy if I might say.
Luv the way the ARB looks, small tech snafu's here and there, but overall an awesome mod. Now I need to install the lift, my YO has a little down in the nose profile.:bigthumb:

BirdMan

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Had a great time over at BirdMan's place helping with the ARB and winch install. (Well, not the winch so much...)

Hey BirdMan! So my wife calls me when I got to the top of the street. I tell her what I had been doing for the last few hours and she says, "Did you use my trick to get the bumper into place? It was MY idea that got the thing to work ya know."

So I reply, "What trick?"

"I told you you had to pick it way up and then lower the bumper thingy onto the mounty thingy. Remember?"

Think fast. "Yep! That's what we did."

"Did you tell them that was MY idea?"

"Yes, Honey."

:wave:<------Whipped.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I reply, "What trick?"

"I told you you had to pick it way up and then lower the bumper thingy onto the mounty thingy. Remember?"

Think fast. "Yep! That's what we did."

"Did you tell them that was MY idea?"

"Yes, Honey."

:wave:<------Whipped.

:lol::lol::lol:
Dude that is too funny. It's all about the timing, just then was when you ask her if it is OK to buy ???? for YOUR truck. Took YO out yesterday and wow Big change in the way it feels, totally nose heavy, but I sure noticed people giving me that " LOOK" you talked about! Talk to ya soon about the Eglin run.

BirdMan:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts