Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few new additions to the FJ thought I would share. I will probably do things a little different with the limb risers in the future. One thing is non coated stainless wire and clamps and not smash crimps. Also would add a quick disconnect like a spring carabiner. After testing may use a different spring also. I like the fact that because of the angle of the wires I can raise my hood completely with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after some more driving I noticed some noise coming from where the springs were rubbing against the roof rack. So I added some heavy duty rubber hose around the spring and now no more noise. I did a "testing" to see how they hold weight I was able to put my hand on the cable and lean into the cable with most of all my body weight (200lbs) and it held just fine. A little spring flex then right back with no issues. Trail time will be the true test but so far I am digging them. People are attracted to them like moths to a light while driving or pulling in somewhere. If you plan on adding them to your rig expect to be asked on a regular basis "what are them wires?" LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat - what’s wrong with the smash crimps? - figure they look better than the clamps
Main reason is they are not really designed to be smashed especially with leaving the vinyl coating on. Not real sure they would hold under a lot of stress. Once you smash them that is it no do over. The clamp on would give you some leeway on mistakes when constructing. So far under my testing they are holding up fine so time will tell.

To be honest I think most people that DIY limb risers go way over board with the material used. In the end they are designed to keep "limbs" off the windshield, in my case the light bar, etc. They are not designed to push trees out of the way or something that is crazy heavy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was thinking about doing something like this to keep mesquite branches off the windshield. I like the **** out of your set up.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
The "smash crimps" (true name "swage sleeves" or "double barrel crimp sleeves") are not intended to be used with plastic coated wire; the plastic coating will simply strip off the wire as soon as any significant tension is applied.

·
Admin
7,098 Posts
The "smash crimps" (true name "swage sleeves" or "double barrel crimp sleeves") are not intended to be used with plastic coated wire; the plastic coating will simply strip off the wire as soon as any significant tension is applied.
I doubled up on them and smashed the living hell out of em.... And it worked. Lol.
After finding out the hard way the truth to what you say above.

Good job RJT... Looks slick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts