Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ARB bumper on my FJ and want to install a CB for trail comm. Am I going to have issues with antenna performance if it is mounted on the front bumper or am I better off purchasing a Bandi mount?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
As for reception you may be better mounting it on the ARB but as for driving through brush get the Bandi. A friend had his mounted on the ARB using the spring mount and the antenna would whip back and hit his turn signal light. He was looking at changing to a stiffer spring. I use a Bandi with a spring mount. I just exhanged my 3' Firestick for a 2' Firestick because I wanted to catch less trees. Long distance reception is not as important to me because I usually wheel with a group that is pretty close together though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have mine mounted on the front ARB
The holes are already there so no drill needed
Actually 2 of them wired in unison

No problems with reception or banging on the lights or anythingelse
I used the stiff springs

Also good to use as marker/reference point to know where the corner of the truck is when navigating thru tight trails

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I wouldn't use a spring at all. Just get a wilson flex antenna and you will be fine. The 4 footer would be best so that it is just above the roof of the FJC.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wouldn't use a spring at all. Just get a wilson flex antenna and you will be fine. The 4 footer would be best so that it is just above the roof of the FJC.
Without the spring they flexed too much in the wrong place and would have been bouncing off the hood/fender/light. The stiff spring lifts it just enough to where the flex doesn't matter at highway speed (or more) or over any trail I have been on. I run a pair of the Wilson Flex 4'

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 5' Wilson with a heavy spring mounted on a Bandi and I get great reception. Got the SWR down to 1.2!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I had an antenna on my ARB without a spring and it got snapped off twice.

I recommend the spring as well.

You can also get an ARB antenna mount that wraps around the bull bar and you can position that more centrally instead of using the existing holes on the outsides of the bumper.

You can see the ARB antenna mount here on Ben's (FlyNdrive) FJ at Sema last year. He is using it here to hold a dune flag.

-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I bought a Bandi mount from Rightchannelradios.com which showed up today (Friday after 5 P.M.) all scratched up and missing the nut to tighten it up into place. I had planned on installing it this weekend but that won't happen now. What ever happened to quality control or pride in one's craft in this country?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well I bought a Bandi mount from Rightchannelradios.com which showed up today (Friday after 5 P.M.) all scratched up and missing the nut to tighten it up into place. I had planned on installing it this weekend but that won't happen now. What ever happened to quality control or pride in one's craft in this country?
You should have ordered from China, Mexico, Russia, Europe, Africa and everywhere else, that is where it all went! Ditto on your frustrations with the way things are HERE!

I visited a new restaurant called Pub Hub in Katy TX with one of my clients today, the waiter offered us Sam Adams Root Beer, we both said yes, he came back to tell us they only had one, so I ordered a Dr. Pepper, it came out flat, we ordered Chili for appetizer it came out cold. It was a small reflection of a much broader reality if you know what I mean. I see it a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts