Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARB CKMTP12 On Board Air Compressor & Springtail Solutions FJ MPAC Side Rack Install

ARB CKMTP12 Air Compressor Install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about on board air for some time. My first inclination was to go with a Powertank, but CO2 refills and CO2 escaping from freshly filled tires made me go with a air compressor. I looked into ARB, Vlair and contacted Dominion Offroad for some ideas. I couldn't make up my mind which product to purchase until I came upon the ARB CKMTP12 compressor kit and the idea to possibly mount it to my Springtail Solutions FJ MPAC Side Rack.

So I went ahead with the purchases and this is the result!

All that’s left is to run power.

Let me know what you think

Ferb

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Re: ARB CKMTP12 On Board Air Compressor & Springtail Solutions FJ MPAC Side Rack Inst

I can't see your pic, but here's mine :cheers:

ARB.jpg

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: ARB CKMTP12 On Board Air Compressor & Springtail Solutions FJ MPAC Side Rack Inst

Is that loud in the cab?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Pics are posted and linked to my profile but haven't been approved by the moderators. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Delete

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

Is that loud in the cab?
Yes, but not too bad. I don't have air lockers, so I only run it when I'm outside airing up the tires.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Very clean install. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

Wow, that thing is larger than I imagined. Very nice compressor from the looks of it.

·
Banned
127 Posts

All that’s left is to run power. Let me know what you think
I think it looks great! I'm thinking about doing the same mod, and wanted to know how you ran power (and possible a switch up front?) for it. Did you document with photos by chance?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think it looks great! I'm thinking about doing the same mod, and wanted to know how you ran power (and possible a switch up front?) for it. Did you document with photos by chance?
The compressor setup came with a enable/disable switch that I mounted with the compressor on the side rack. It also had two separate power feeds and a common ground with (2) fuses in line with alligator clips. I cut the alligator clips off the fuses, then cut the fuses off the wiring harness and moved the fuses up to under the hood. I bought 10awg/3 black SOOW Cord from home depot and tied (1) hot to the white (1) hot to the green and the ground to the black from the wiring harness. From there I ran the 10/3 under the car to the fuses under the hood.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts

So I'm considering this same set up but looking at the pictures you posted of the mounting to the springtail rack. My only concern is how steady and secured is it on a trail? Any rattling or come loose at all?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts

Very nice install. I have also been going back and forth between an air tank or a compressor. I am still up in the air but seeing this might move me forward to what you have done. Very clean.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts

Very nice install - I especially like the idea of Home Depot sourced wiring. Very clever.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
912 Posts

SummitSender: I have my ARB mounted on a Springtail. There is no apparent rattling, and I never had a problem with it coming loose, however, after a few months, the constant flexing of the Springtail mount caused it to crack in a few places. If you read through their website, they predict this and suggest the HD version. I bought the HD version and remounted the compressor on it...it is substantially beefier, and there is zero flex.
I did have a PowerTank mounted on my original SpringTail panel, and it's possible that some of the flexing leading to the cracks took place with the CO2 tank, not the compressor. At any rate, I'd strongly suggest the HD Springtail.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

Can you post some pictures of your wiring? I am having a hard time following it.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

"...CO2 refills and CO2 escaping from freshly filled tires...?
First I've hear of this, haven't experienced it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

Resurrecting this thread, as I have a Powertank on my drivers side on a Springtail side rack, and now I am thinking of adding the ARB to a side rack on the passenger side.

I did not know there was an HD version of the side rack, not sure what mine is that my Powertank is on.

Question on the hose fitting, as the ARB does not come with a filling hose, but I have the Powertank one, and I wonder if that will work?
It uses the standard quick disconnects for the hose and where it hooks to the Powertank, and it would be nice if I could use it with the ARB also.

Also I have never heard of CO2 escaping from tires.
I have only ever used CO2 to fill up my tires since the FJ was brand new.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts