Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 47L ARB classic is not repairable.
Can anyone offer info and/or experience on using one over the other?
I do not have a separate battery, but do have solar for charging the battery / running the fridge.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Who made the 'not repairable' diagnosis?

Did they specify exactly what had failed, and why it is not repairable?

Just curious, as I have the same model and would like to get some insight into failure modes, etc.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@FJtest
I sent it to ARB up in Washington State. They said it was the compressor, they don't sell that part, and it was brazed in, so not repairable. They would send it back and I could try and find someone local (SF Bay Area), but I already called around before sending it up to them. It worked fine up until it didn't. Just stopped cooling and gave a warning light sequence. Followed the Service Manual to reset it but it kept failing.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It’s a huge surprise that an ARB fridge went south on you but no company is 100% perfect. They are super good at making things right. I say go again with ARB unless you have been tainted. In that case Dometic is good call

Mike

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
44,657 Posts
Engel makes a good unit and used to be rebadged for the early ARB. I have one 45qrt I bought in the mid 90s and another newer one that I haven’t used. I also have an 80qrt that’s been going for about six months now. Love them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a huge surprise that an ARB fridge went south on you but no company is 100% perfect. They are super good at making things right. I say go again with ARB unless you have been tainted. In that case Dometic is good call

Mike
They were definitely nice but I was surprised that they wouldn't "un-braised" / de-solder the compressor. But then I found out that Dometic makes them (at least I read that somewhere on the internet). So, that might explain why.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engel makes a good unit and used to be rebadged for the early ARB. I have one 45qrt I bought in the mid 90s and another newer one that I haven’t used. I also have an 80qrt that’s been going for about six months now. Love them.
Thanks. Engel is the other one I'm looking at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a The ARB Portable Fridge/Freezer; 63 Quart; Single Zone. Brand New in the box for sale. I accidentally purchased two onlinenand Overlander would not take it back. It retails for $1479.00 I'm selling it for $1200.00. I live in Ventura County, Ca. I do have a couple people interested, but they are low balling. Make a trip, it might be worth it

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do not have a separate battery, but do have solar for charging the battery / running the fridge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did a lot research before choosing ICECO, do your own research and the only difference you’ll find is that arb and the other name brands are charging you for their name.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a The ARB Portable Fridge/Freezer; 63 Quart; Single Zone. Brand New in the box for sale. I accidentally purchased two onlinenand Overlander would not take it back. It retails for $1479.00 I'm selling it for $1200.00. I live in Ventura County, Ca. I do have a couple people interested, but they are low balling. Make a trip, it might be wort
I have a The ARB Portable Fridge/Freezer; 63 Quart; Single Zone. Brand New in the box for sale. I accidentally purchased two onlinenand Overlander would not take it back. It retails for $1479.00 I'm selling it for $1200.00. I live in Ventura County, Ca. I do have a couple people interested, but they are low balling. Make a trip, it might be worth it
Thank you. I'll let you know, but the price is likely more than I want to spend. I do get thru Ventura often, so I'll give it some serious thought.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
They were definitely nice but I was surprised that they wouldn't "un-braised" / de-solder the compressor. But then I found out that Dometic makes them (at least I read that somewhere on the internet). So, that might explain why.
The ARB fridges use Secop compressors.

Any qualified refrigeration shop could cut the tubing, remove the old compressor, braze the connections to install a replacement compressor, evacuate the system, and then backfill with the required volume of refrigerant.

Would it be cost-effective? Purely depends on what you have to pay for the replacement compressor, and the shop's labor charge.

Secop DC compressor data:
https://www.secop.com/fileadmin/use..._voltage_compressors_08-2021_desk100a1202.pdf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts