Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting an ARB fridge but dont understand how it will stay cold if the engine is not on. Anyone have experience with portable fridges in the FJ?

I am willing to consider a dual battery but if I dont need it I wont bother.

Someone please help!!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
You'll need to wire it up to an always "hot" spot in the fuse block or straight to the battery. That will allow the fridge to run while the vehicle is off. If you start your truck up and use it every day, it shouldn't be a problem.

I personally went ahead and got the dual battery setup so I didn't have any worries about it. My fridge and other accessories are hooked up to a secondary deep cycle battery. Your OEM battery was not meant to be heavily drained. I like the peace of mind that this allows me. If my OEM battery ever dies, I can self jump with the second battery with the flick of a switch.

There's a group buy going on for the Dirty Parts dual battery kit right now too!:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...rts-dual-battery-kit-group-buy-round-3-a.html

Good luck and if you have any other questions just ask!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Do you have a sub? If not, add the 12V mod and your good to go. I've had mine pluged in for 10 days straight without any problems.
I did forget about that, but please clarify: you did drive the vehicle most every day in those 10 days, right?

The other option you have is to switch the primary battery out for a deep cycle, as long as you have a way to charge it when you drain it so low that you can't start the vehicle with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Like Landy said, If you run your truck daily then your OEM single battery will have no problem running your ARB fridge. You can also set the fridge to shutdown if the battery charge becomes too low. I've run the ARB fridge on an aditional 12v plug (always hot)I installed in the rear. I've done this on several trips and have had no problems. There are posts in the forum that show you how. Hopefully you have a subwoofer harness in the back and it will make it very easy. All you'll need are some connectors and 12v plug with an in-line fuse. If you were going to run the fridge for long periods without running the vehicle or have several other accesories requiring 12v then you may consider a second battery but its not required.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I did forget about that, but please clarify: you did drive the vehicle most every day in those 10 days, right?
Only during some of the days.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Cool, thanks! I'm sure the ARB doesn't suck down as much juice as my off brand fridge.
It's less than having one headlight on. The in-laws have a Coleman and it sucks the power.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There are two settings for the auto-shut-off feature. The question of is a 50 quart big enough for a family of 4? I would think so. You don't have to keep everything in the fridge. You can always replenish drinks trading a cold one for a hot one. It's great fro keeping the food at proper temps. Even with my fridge I still take a small Ice chest with me for drinks.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I've had mine run for several days while I was parked with no problems. The ARB Fridge has a built in shut off that will cut power to the fridge when the vehicle voltage reaches 11v which is enough to start your FJ.

So, no danger of the fridge running your battery down.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I have gone about 5 days with my ARB fridge before starting up the rig.
It almost did not, but it did.

No worries anymore, I run duals now and also a solar panel setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ARB Fridge (50qt) pulls about 1.5 amps -

I have the Dirty Parts kit using an Oddessy battery and get about 8 days on my fridge in Texas currently with out starting the truck. (Yes I have gone that long with out driving my FJ =/)

A few things to note here though:
  1. The ARB Transit Bag helps insulate and thus helps keep the unit cold(er)
  2. The ARB Fridge works as hard as it has too..meaning if you live in a HOT region it's going to work more often than someone that lives in a colder region.
  3. Proper packing of your fridge will mean the fridge has to work less than if you do not properly pack it. (Meaning don't leave giant air pockets in the fridge)

All of the above mentioned can and will change the amount of time your ARB fridge is running and thus will change the amount of draw your battery is taking.

As others have posted -
  • You need an always on hot fuse block
  • I would also highly recommend a dual battery kit (this comes in handy for future accessories as well!)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Guys
Is that ARB 50 Quart Fridge big enough for a family of four? Is the power souce/compressor quite? Does the auto shut off allow enough power to start your FJ? Can the auto shut off be set higher? Sorry for the hijack but had to ask.

LOL Runt is scouring the forums for ARB Fridge info =p

The compressor is VERY VERY VERY quite, I can only hear it on if the truck is off and I'm sitting in complete silence. It sounds like a 40mm Computer fan at best. (Very VERY VERY quite for what it is doing)

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
As a few stated, I didn't run any type of wire. I used the existing 12volt bank under the sub. No problems, always hot. I have only drained my battery once, someone turned it to 5 (coldest setting) at the camp site and after a day or more, battery was completely drained, more annoying than getting a jump, every liquid in the cooler was exploded and frozen solid. It should be noted I have a rechargeable streamlight that is always plugged in as well, but that thing doesn't draw much power.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I used the existing 12volt bank under the sub. No problems, always hot.
Same here... I did, however, run a dual battery kit and never had any issues with draining the secondary.

I loved my ARB freezer/fridge and had it running for the entire year...it was only off while I cleaned it out from time to time.

It sure does make life on the road a bit easier. I have to say, though, the dual battery kit really took all of the worry out of the equation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
LOL Runt is scouring the forums for ARB Fridge info =p

The compressor is VERY VERY VERY quite, I can only hear it on if the truck is off and I'm sitting in complete silence. It sounds like a 40mm Computer fan at best. (Very VERY VERY quite for what it is doing)
Yup you got it :) I have measured, re-measured, calculated, weighed cost vs benifit etc. ARB 50 Quart is the winner in my findings for the largest fridge you can put in a FJ that creates the least amount of dead space. For those of you wondering the best value in my opinion is the Edge Star 40 Quart model on a scratch and dent special right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts