Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put any ARB gear on their FJ in OZ yet? If so please show us. The yanks seem to love the stuff. I know they have taken a little while to get things all legal for the Aussie standards but I'm pretty sure they have a handful of gear ready to go now.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Now that mine is only a few weeks away, I was going to drop by Osborne Park next week to get a quote on a bullbar, winch, snorkel etc and check on lead times.

While I'm there I can ask if there's any chance of getting a group discount. What were you looking at getting?

I've also been onto the Long Ranger website and filled out the long-range tank survey for the the FJ - it won't be long before they have finalised a design.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Filled it in.
So what are people asking for for their FJ.
I asked for MAX ground clearance. Small 60-80L tank. Gravity fed.
I think 140L will be enough. Thats about 1000KM.

Also asked my local 4WD shop for a quote on:
Swap tires, BFG AT or Mickey Thompson ATZ.
Bull Bar with Winch.
Snorkel.
Rock Sliders.
2 Draws with drop fridge slide.
Roof Rack. (Under 2 Metres total hight.)
Baja LED Lights. to be mounted on Roof.
Rear Recovery point, not sure if the Toyota tow bar or another.

Can anyone guess how much:thinkerg:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that mine is only a few weeks away, I was going to drop by Osborne Park next week to get a quote on a bullbar, winch, snorkel etc and check on lead times.

While I'm there I can ask if there's any chance of getting a group discount. What were you looking at getting?

I've also been onto the Long Ranger website and filled out the long-range tank survey for the the FJ - it won't be long before they have finalised a design.
I called them yesterday arvo for a quote on a bar with fog lights, trade style rack (FJ mounting system 200 series rack) and a snorkel. The yanks seem to think the OEM springs can't handle the weight of the bar so suspension might be done very soon too. Apparently our suspension is tuned for "Australian conditions" so might be firmer. Definatley worth asking for a group buy discount. I also filled in the long ranger survey and it seems I'm after similar set up to FJ paul. Gravity fed t or y connected smaller tank that tucks out of the way. Just to keep him a little cheaper, my old man enquired about a long ranger for his jk jeep and it was really expensive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your wishlist sounds alot like mine. Any idea on what the baja LEDs are worth? I emailed roo systems yesterday for a price on 3 10 inch bars ( one rear facing loading light) and a 20 inch. The baja designs website in the states quotes significantly lower prices than roo systems and seeings as we're above parody I think they need to adjust their prices a touch.

Ps I think you'll be looking at a fair bit over 7-8 grand for your goodies.

Filled it in.
So what are people asking for for their FJ.
I asked for MAX ground clearance. Small 60-80L tank. Gravity fed.
I think 140L will be enough. Thats about 1000KM.

Also asked my local 4WD shop for a quote on:
Swap tires, BFG AT or Mickey Thompson ATZ.
Bull Bar with Winch.
Snorkel.
Rock Sliders.
2 Draws with drop fridge slide.
Roof Rack. (Under 2 Metres total hight.)
Baja LED Lights. to be mounted on Roof.
Rear Recovery point, not sure if the Toyota tow bar or another.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Filled out the survey.

I will be turbocharging my FJ, and will be using water injection to keep the engine alive (minimize fuel consumption and increase power) so the integral water tank will be of great benefit to me.

Great link, thanks for sharing. :clap:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I reckon you won't get much change out of 15k. :mecry:

I also think the small 60-80 tank with no compromise on ground clearance is enough. 72 litres standard is ridiculous - especially since they recommend premium fuel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gravity fed, small fuel tank, but the split combo tank with water is a great option, if they designed it with the fuel on top, that would aid the gravity design possibilities. As long as it maintains the stock departure angles I am happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gravity fed, small fuel tank, but the split combo tank with water is a great option, if they designed it with the fuel on top, that would aid the gravity design possibilities. As long as it maintains the stock departure angles I am happy.
I just filled it in. I understand why you guys are going with the small tank, but I went the other way. We do a fair bit of remote touring so I'm looking for max range. If you want to cross the Simpson or equivalent in a petrol you need all the fuel you can get your hands on and carrying it in the cab or on the roof isn't a great plan.

I've also had a bit of a chat with Long Range Automotive. The one they have on their site is for the US market only, but one of the guys' mothers has an FJ on order that they're going to use to take measurements etc so their one shouldn't be far away. :clap:

Cheers,
Demented

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Thanks Demented, that's good to know. :bigthumb:

Personally, if I was going anywhere too far I'd be towing an off road trailer but always good to have the option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally, if I was going anywhere too far I'd be towing an off road trailer...
Yeah, I'm looking into getting one built to our spec's which we'll use for most places, but there are some places you can't take a trailer (they're banned outright on the Simpson for example).

Anyway, as I said, different strokes for different folks :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car has been used a couple of weeks ago now by Long Ranger to get all the measurements of the FJ. They are thinking of two tanks. The first for the 4x4 enthusiast will be approx 80L. The second for Tourers will be approx 120L. I am preferencing the 80L. I am hoping it is fitted mid June. Should be available to the rest of you by July ? Also, my car is booked into ARB tomorrow to fit, OME lift, Dual Batt, ARB Bar, UHF. I am fitting the winch myself. Pictures to follow this weekend.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My car has been used a couple of weeks ago now by Long Ranger to get all the measurements of the FJ. They are thinking of two tanks. The first for the 4x4 enthusiast will be approx 80L. The second for Tourers will be approx 120L. I am preferencing the 80L. I am hoping it is fitted mid June. Should be available to the rest of you by July ? Also, my car is booked into ARB tomorrow to fit, OME lift, Dual Batt, ARB Bar, UHF. I am fitting the winch myself. Pictures to follow this weekend.
Very cool ... thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the long ranger tank survey. I just filled it out.

One of the downsides of the FJ is the size of the fuel tank. 72lt does not get you very far in Oz. If you are thinking of getting an extra tank it would be worth filling in the survey at:

:: The Long Ranger :: Toyota FJ Cruiser
This maybe a silly question, but will a Prado Main fuel tank fit the FJ. If you look underneath it looks made for it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very interested to see how the dual battery looks under there.
80L long ranger sounds good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stay tuned for Photos. I am picking up the FJ this afternoon. Personally, I think the bull bar, lift, UHF,and lights will be done. I doubt the dual batt will be done. I'll be happy if it is, but apparently there is a bit of modification required. On my 120 series prado, the power steer container was simply mounted on the side of the battery tray. Not enough room for this in the FJ, they think they will have to extend the power steer lines and relocate the power steer holder to the back left corner of the engine bay. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Picked up FJ this afternoon. All done. Unfortunately for those of you who have not even taken delivery may I say that it even gets better once it has all the "fruit". Too dark for pictures. Stay tuned tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Picked up FJ this afternoon. All done. Unfortunately for those of you who have not even taken delivery may I say that it even gets better once it has all the "fruit". Too dark for pictures. Stay tuned tomorrow.
excellent, looking fwd to the pics

1 - 20 of 55 Posts