Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
jreedar:

Thanks for posting this.

In addition to knowing the height above the white roof (pic with ruler would be great), some more pics of the air dam/fairing would be great.

I wonder if it would work with the factory rack?

Or, could I modify the factory rack and make it work?

I'm tired of waiting for Toyota to come through on this. Plus, I don't really want lights on the air dam (defeats the whole purpose of making it more aerodynamic). I hear the factory air dam will be like $800 and this one is $35! (and looks great)

At this point, I'm kicking myself for buying the factory rack. This one is the sh!t.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Re: ARB Half Rack Installed (Update)

Here's some better pictures during the day from different angles and distances to give a better perspective of the racks dimension and fit.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks good J.

Just out of curiosity... what made you go with the half rack over the full?

Are you lifted?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
jreedar:
Thanks for posting this.

In addition to knowing the height above the white roof (pic with ruler would be great), some more pics of the air dam/fairing would be great.

I wonder if it would work with the factory rack?

Or, could I modify the factory rack and make it work?
The air dam is concave and custom made to fit exactly the curved front of the rack so I don't see a way to modify it to fit the stock Toyota rack.

At this point, I'm kicking myself for buying the factory rack. This one is the sh!t.
Thanks I'm glad you like - I couldn't be happier with it and wouldn't trade it for any other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looks good J.

Just out of curiosity... what made you go with the half rack over the full?

Are you lifted?
I am lifted - I have OME 883s on the front and Daystar 1 1/2 inch spacer in the rear. Measuring from the plastic fender flare to the ground I have:
Left Front: 36 10/16 inches
Left Rear : 37 1/16

I went with the half rack because proportionally sitting on top of the FJ it just looked right to me and it still has enough cargo area for hauling anything I need for hunting, camping or vacationing. The usable interior cargo area is 50" x 44", plenty for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like it. It does look interesting on how it "looks" to sit so much higher on the reard of the vehicle.

J

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone post the distance (on the ARB half rack) between the two mounting points, from center to center? To clarify, I need the distance between the front mount and the rear mount on each side. I am hoping that the FJ half rack will work on a 100 series LC. I already have a 100 series full length ARB rack with fit kit and wonder if the fixed mounts will line up with the FJ half rack.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pix. They were very helpful.

I agree that the half rack looks good and has plenty of storage capacity for everyday use.

One question: What is the distance between the struts?

I'm wondering if I should "mesh" it or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for sharing your pix. They were very helpful.

I agree that the half rack looks good and has plenty of storage capacity for everyday use.

One question: What is the distance between the struts?

I'm wondering if I should "mesh" it or not.
Thanks, I've had to for a couple months now and really like it a lot, stands out from all the others and with the air deflector and the placement of the front of the rack starting about a 1/3 of the way back from the front there's very little wind noise on the interstate at high speeds. Also it's built extremely solid, the roof will cave in before this rack bends.

I just measured and it's just under 5" between each of the six inner bars that make up the floor, so about 4 7/8 of an inch of space between each bar. I actually like that amount of space since I'm able to still wash under the rack with out a problem. There's also a covered floor section on the very front, that's about 8 inches long just behind where the air deflector attaches. Here are some pics.

Here's the front covered bottom area:

I plan on getting this cargo bag Kanga HURRICANE 14 Roof Pouch to use on the rack, it got really good reviews and it's 48"x36" and 14 cubic feet of storage which will fit perfectly in the 52"x44" space the rack provides.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I love this rack and I think I want one. I can't say I love the look of the wind fairing though..........what does it look like without it?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
That's the best looking aftermarket rack yet. Can you show a closeup of the roof attach points?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I love this rack and I think I want one. I can't say I love the look of the wind fairing though..........what does it look like without it?
Without the fairing it looks just like the full rack in the front, here's a pick http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/17493-arb-roof-rack-install-pics-guide.html?highlight=arb+rack#post283735

It's also functional since I never notice any wind noise but it also helps since it's further back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I agree this is the best-looking one. Does it not look too far back in person?
In person proportionally on top of the FJ it looks perfect to me and it still has enough cargo area for hauling anything I need for hunting, camping or vacationing. The usable interior cargo area is 50" x 44", plenty for my needs.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That's the best looking aftermarket rack yet. Can you show a closeup of the roof attach points?
Here's where the rack attaches from above in the front to the mount connects that are in the original holes:

Here's the same but in the back:

Here's below the pictures above showing the connection directly in the original holes:

Here's a different angle of the connection in the rear, the front looks exactly the same:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts