Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason this thing makes my arb go on and off. I cant figure why. I have the original inflator that came with the pump and it is continuous. Can someone help explain what i am doing wrong. Also the gauge is very inaccurate. I am surprised that arb makes such a POS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The ARB turns off when it reaches a certain pressure... its normal
What he says. Completely normal. Compressors fill the tank and than they stop running until the pressure goes down to a certain pressure and than fills back up again

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What he says. Completely normal. Compressors fill the tank and than they stop running until the pressure goes down to a certain pressure and than fills back up again
The pump turns on and off during atual filling. I fully depress the lever to fill the tires and it turns off and on. I think the inflator is defective, but wanted to see if it is something i did wrong before i return it.

The inflator that comes with the unit has no lever and when i inflate the pump continuously run.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The pump turns on and off during atual filling. I fully depress the lever to fill the tires and it turns off and on. I think the inflator is defective, but wanted to see if it is something i did wrong before i return it.

The inflator that comes with the unit has no lever and when i inflate the pump continuously run.
Ok sorry I was talking about the compressor stopping because of the tank being full. Didn't realize you were talking about the inflator itself stopping. ARB's site just says it has an internal air shut off valve. Maybe it's adjustable to stop at a specified pressure :shrug03:

·
Registered
392 Posts
FJ Newbie,
My ARB inflator with the gauge will do the same thing when I don't have it fully seated on the tire valve stem. Try pushing it onto the tire's valve stem harder and give it a twist. The reading on the gauge is off by 4 psi according to my digital tire gauge. I have compared the digital gauge to a buddies digital gauge and they are the same... The ARB gauge reads higher than the digital. Another thing that I have noticed with the ARB gauge inflator is that is seems to deliver less volume than the non gauge ARB inflator.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FJ Newbie,
My ARB inflator with the gauge will do the same thing when I don't have it fully seated on the tire valve stem. Try pushing it onto the tire's valve stem harder and give it a twist. The reading on the gauge is off by 4 psi according to my digital tire gauge. I have compared the digital gauge to a buddies digital gauge and they are the same... The ARB gauge reads higher than the digital. Another thing that I have noticed with the ARB gauge inflator is that is seems to deliver less volume than the non gauge ARB inflator.
Good Luck!!
I did push it all the way on but I will try again tomorrow with the twist. I will let you know if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have to admit... I totally agree with you about the gauge being a big POS.... There has to be a reason that airflow is being interrupted and causing the compressor to shut off. I imagine it is shutting off because the manifold has reached the cut out pressure. If your other inflator valve will allow the compressor to work continuously, it has to be associated with the gauged inflator... I have noticed that some of my tire valve stems are harder to keep air flowing into them... Thus the push harder and twist when attaching the inflator... This kind of stuff is frustrating and I totally sympathize with you...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i think i figured this out. I believe there is a pin on the inside which is pushed when hooked up to the tire nozzle. This allows air to flow into the tire. I noticed that this pin is missing so it is the reason why there is no air flow and why the pump turns on and off. I ordered areplacement so hope this one will work. Surprised that arb is making suck a crappy inflator.

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
FJ Newbie,
Good Luck!!
My observations exactly. I just use the basic fitting and use a separate pressure gauge - it's faster.

Does anyone want to buy my ARB inflator with gauge?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My observations exactly. I just use the basic fitting and use a separate pressure gauge - it's faster.

Does anyone want to buy my ARB inflator with gauge?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hopefully the replacement will work. Cant believe ARB makes such a POS equipment.

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
Hopefully the replacement will work. Cant believe ARB makes such a POS equipment.
Don't get your hopes up. ask for a refund or swap for an ARB rapid deflator + difference back in cash/credit

·
Registered
63 Posts
had to change out the "nozzle" if you will. the arb supplied chuck didn't grab many different valve stems and depths. even with the compressor staying on the tires would fill really slow and the whole airline would be hot to the touch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got a replacement and I confirm that the inlet/outlet which has a metal pin was missing on the other unit. Thatis why no air was put into the tire because pin needs to be pushed to let air out. I will use it this weekend when i go to death valley. Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts