Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Imo, you need to think about what you'll be doing, unless you just don't want the factory bumper. I have the X1, and have been wheeling with people that have the ARB. These are my findings-
1. They are both good, well built bumpers.
2. The ARB is VERY heavy duty. It really is a cow/deer catcher.
3. The X1 has a better approach angle, as it is angled, and the ARB is square like the OEM bumper. There were obstacles that I cleared with no problem, but the bottom front of the ARB would scrape. I'm not saying the ARB isn't good on the trail, just that for the same clearance, you need more lift.
4.The X1 is compatable with virtually every winch out there.
5. The ARB will require heavier springs up front on your FJ.

James set a 12000lb winch, with steel cable, in mine just to see if it fit. It not only fit, but the front only dropped 1/8". The bumper doesn't weigh a ton, and only dropped my front about an 1/8th". I only have the hoop, but I'm sure the full bull bar isn't that different in weight.

So, what do you need this bumper to do for you? That should help you decide.

Sorry for the long post. Kind of a lot of info, but hope it helps.

Kathie

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
The ARB bumper reminds me of the Ranch Hand legend series for full sized trucks. My uncle has one on his RAM and uses to get through thickly covered trails. I believe if you didn't care about pin striping, the ARB would be the perfect bumper to punch through thick brush and small trees. Most people here aren't going to do any kind of offroading where they might get body damage and actually need good protection up front. Therefore I would recommend the lighter bumpers since you're not going to need the full force for an ARB to keep the trees and rocks off.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm liking the Desert Armor Bumper best for the looks, weight and function, but Exp 1 is a good looking bumper.
Don't get me wrong ARB is a great product. However, weight becomes a real consideration as you start to mod/add: sliders, skids, F/R bumper, recovery equipment, etc.
The ARB bumper with winch comes in close to 250lbs. Weight in the front also changes the geometry (plus requires compensating springs, etc.).

Just some things to consider - when planning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i think both bumpers look awesome, but ive decided on the ExpeditionOne based on the price. its a little bit cheaper that the ARB, but it comes powder coated and with a set of PIAA fogs. not bad.

·
Wanderlust
4,154 Posts
Hey guys. I'm ordering a bumper within the next two weeks. Should it be an ARB bumper or an Expedition One Bumper? They are my top picks. Thanks for your opinions
Having seen both in action, I'd suggest going with the X1 for the extra clearance for climbing over ledges that Voodoogirl mentioned. Easier access to winch control with the X1 as well.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Holy thread resurrection Batman !

Both of these bumpers are plenty strong. Pic the one that has the looks that make you walk funny. For me, it's the Exp One . . . but I think either one is a great choice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ARB was my choice...Ex1 is kinda ugly if you ask me

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I have an ARB and like it. It has been on for 2 years and has held up real well to the MI winters.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have an ARB and like it. It has been on for 2 years and has held up real well to the MI winters.
Glad to hear you say that. I just ordered one on the 28th and rusting was a concern. I've had just to many close calls with the front end so it was time to beef it up. Not that the Exedition one is not tuff I just kept going back to the ARB. :cheers:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I agree with the quality as mine hasn't shown even a hint of rust problems associated with other bumpers.

I've really never had a problem accessing my warn 8000. One thing I wish the ARB had would be built in recovery points on the front. I've seen others add them on before install.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ARB has one big advantage.....Jack points. This is a significant thing, and if off roading is a priority, these will come in very handy. PLus the ABR seems to be built almost to a MIL spec standard....very tough.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts