Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Hello, I have a technical question about roof rack to Rooftop tent compatability. I can not find this answer anywhere online.
I was hoping to purchase this kind of roof rack and mount a tent to the top. Is that possible?
ARB Alloy Roof Rack Basket 87"x44" with Mesh Floor
Will the full length basket be in the way? Does the tent have to rest on the mesh floor (like on the Touring edition) or can it be supported along the edge of the rails?
Thanks!
Here is the roof rack I was offered by a friend:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARB-4900010M-87-X-49-Alloy-Roof-Rack-Basket-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-/401164837898
I've never tried that. I'd think it would be doable. I'm no expert but the main issue I'd see is that you can't put your tent down inside the basket on the mesh floor. Since the tent "unfolds" to a flat platform, it would hit the basket side and not open all the way. I guess the way to get around that would be to mount another set of crossbars across the basket sides and mount the tent to those. If you tent is wide enough, you could mount it "crossways" on the basket sides directly maybe. But then you'd only have the option of opening it to the back of the vehicle I'm pretty sure.

With crossbars the problem I see there is that now your tent would be even higher off the ground, raising your center of gravity even more. The basket sides are 6" tall and any crossbars on top of those would be another 4" -6". That means that your tent would be another 10"-12" higher up off the roof than if you had a flat (utility) type of rack.

Also, one other thing to consider, that ARB-4900010M is designed for Land Cruisers and 4Runners. It doesn't have the fit kit for FJ Cruisers with the curved roofline. You'd have to get the fit kit for the FJ Cruiser roof to use that ARB basket rack.

Edit: I just noticed that was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks for the writeup and photos texagon. pardon the remedial question, but the photos i see at online retailers for the fit kit don't include anything that looks like the long backbone piece that bolts to all 3 mounting locations, and the arb website doesn't seem to offer a photo of it either. here's a link for example: ARB FJ Cruiser Long Roof Rack Fitting Kit (3720100).

is that an extra piece, or is that indeed included in the fit kit? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks for the writeup and photos texagon. pardon the remedial question, but the photos i see at online retailers for the fit kit don't include anything that looks like the long backbone piece that bolts to all 3 mounting locations, and the arb website doesn't seem to offer a photo of it either. here's a link for example: ARB FJ Cruiser Long Roof Rack Fitting Kit (3720100).

is that an extra piece, or is that indeed included in the fit kit? thanks in advance.
Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on the site in a while. That appears to be a "stock" picture of an ARB fit kit. That picture is for a kit that fits on a vehicle that has drip rails. If you do a Google search for "arb 3720100" you'll see that every picture with an FJ Cruiser in it has that long fit kit that contours to the curve of the roof. That's the only way that a flat rack can be mounted on the curved FJ roof. I wish companies would show pictures of the actual item that they are selling instead of random stock photos. It would help get rid of confusion.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts