Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to share this information with everyone because until tonight I was unaware and some of you might be to.

Like many people I was going to purchase the ARB touring rack with a Simpson 3 roof top tent or RTT as it will be known from now on. After speaking with my local ARB dealer he's informed me that the roof top load rating of the FJ cruiser is less than the total weight of the roof rack, tent and two people.

Now after hearing this I started searching and have found examples of FJ cruisers with many different types of RTT, reportedly without any issues at all but I couldn't find a single forum that would conclusively say what the 6 rooftop attachment points were good for in weight.

It's a really grey area that I'd love clarified by any knowledge forum folk for my own piece of mind before I purchase or not purchase a RTT and touring rack.

Thank you in advance because I'm sure there will be a mountain of great information and debate about this one.

Cheers
FJGav

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I've seen lots of pics with the roof top tents on the Fj's in the States.
Maybe some of the guys in the U.S can give us the heads up ?.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the slightly edited email from ARB in Perth WA

Hey Gavin

Nice to catch up with you and Jen again on the weekend. (ED: ARB open day)
Awesome photo’s it’ll look great when it done!!

The roof capacity is more than sufficient for the touring rack and tent but unfortunately nothing else, which doesn’t suit your needs with the kayaks. So the other options are to put some roof bars on with kayak loaders and use something like the Oztent 30 Sec Tent which is a quick setup tent and can go up on the racks in the middle of the kayaks.
Any way see what you guys think!

Info and pictures at OzTent - A Tent Perfect for 4WD, Rv & Camping in Australia.

Kindest Regards

Liam ***** (ED: We dont need his last name on the inter spy)

ARB Corporation Ltd
36 Gauge Circuit
CANNING VALE 6155
Tel: 08 6254 2367
Fax: 08 6254 2213
Email: mailto:lbr*ck**[email protected]
Web: ARB 4x4 Accessories

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up.

So any idea what the roof top loading capacity actually is?

Cheers,
Brad
The General figure I keep coming across time and time again is between 65 and 70kgs total static weight Which would mean each attachment point is only rated for 10kg's give or take a little.

However real world reporting from members of this forum have reported loading their roof racks up with 200kg's of gear and then driving down the highway.

Now, knowing that we live in the nanny nation with rule making designed to the point of not ever getting hurt, in any way, from anything, for your entire life! I would suggest they have taken the actual figure and reduced that by 90% to encourage people with an active lifestyle to leave there cars in the car port. Safe in the knowledge they live in cotton wool and have managed to survive another day on planet earth.

Can anyone guess what industry I work in?

Cheers
FJGav

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
There are generally two sets of figures when talking roof racks; one is the moving weight limit, like how much weight can be up there while driving. The other is the stationary limit. On most 4x4s the moving limit is around 100Kgs, but while stationary, it can be a few times that.

I think the weight limit your talking about here would be the moving limit; being a short wheel base, too much load on the roof is going to make it easier to roll over. Stationary however, you shouldn't have a drama.

If it were me, I’d run it by ARB and see what they have to say for themselves.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were me, I’d run it by ARB and see what they have to say for themselves.
Liam from ARB made it sound like it was a total load maximum at all times regardless of driving state but as you suggested I have emailed him back with a Pauline Hansen and I will let you all know the reply.

Cheers
FJGav

·
Premium Member
161 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Unfortunately I have been given misleading info from different staff from ARB - one said that I couldn't easily put an ARB roof rack because I would have to go into the headliner to strengthen the mounts from the underside. This was basically rubbish. Another told me that the FJ came out with a diesel in Canada. Again rubbish.

I went to another branch of ARB who didn't make things up and checked. I believe the driving load of the roof is 100kg but the static load is much higher which is why many people are using RTT with no problems.

If you look at the weight of the steel ARB rack, it is about 45kg (not published anywhere I could find) which then makes your driving load 55kg. This is one of the reasons I went for a lighter solution. See Roof Rack thread. (page 2)

I also want to carry kayaks so putting Rhino heavy duty bars across the ARB fit kit works very nicely. I add a Rhino alloy tray (24kg) to that for touring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if you put any loads on the roof you run the risk of injury to others in a accident, that i believe is the main issue with "loads".

load bearing strength would very high however, hell we have put up to 30 x 25 litre fuel cans on a cruiser roof!! do the maths on that!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Guys,

There is a wealth of info on this forum with a search, here's a couple of links discussing just this:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/91544-fj-roof-weight-capacity-2.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/73056-weight-limits-roof-top-tents.html

Have a look for the comments from Layonnn in the first link - sound advice.

Also this thread:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/bajarack-adventure-equipment/116218-introducing-2-new-racks-fj.html

You will notice it gives a dynamic and static weight limit, static being double the dynamic...

Basically (and I expect for obvious safety and liability reasons) Toyota, and I am sure other manufacturers publish "dynamic weight" limits basically the maximum you can carry on the move, "static weight" limit (or absolute weight carrying ability) will be more as there is no need to account for the vehicles movements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I might have some answers. We have a 2012 model FJ cruiser which has fitted to it a steel arb touring rack to which we have a 2 person roof top tent and an awning fitted to.
We have done a couple of off road trips and our roof rack happened to crack at the weld's towards the front of the rack and when we pulled the rack off we noticed that the roof of the FJ where the rack mounts on has also cracked in all spots. Now we are up for a whole new roof at a cost of $5k. ARB did not inform us that the FJ roof would not be able to hold the weight of our roof rack, roof top and tent!!
I hope that this helps!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts