Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently purchased a AEM high flow intake for my 08 tt thinking that it would be a good way to gain a couple horse power. but when i brought it to the dealership for an alignment (because theirs no where else where i live) they told me it would be bad for the engine and would void the warranty. now im alright with them saying that it voids the warranty, thats ok. but i don't understand how it is bad for the engine. upon this discussion with the guy from the dealership, the mere mention of the supercharger witch i planned on getting in the future, told me it is the worst thing that you can do and is incredibly bad for the engine. so with dreams crushed and my intake sitting in a box in my garage. i never thought these types of upgrades were so bad but I'm hopping someone can shed some light on this topic for me.

thanx

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Take the money you were going to waste on having the dealership use to install your intake, go buy some tools, take the 20 minutes and install it yourself.

Problem solved.

Also, if they are going to say that it voids your warranty, keep the stock intake. Everytime you need to go to the dealership for anything, swap in the stock intake. If you ever have a warranty issue with the engine (not very likely) you will still be covered at this stealership.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Your engine will probably not last quite as long with a supercharger but why would TRD make one if they were "incredibly bad" for it?

I'm not getting one because even with it, the FJ will never be fast.

·
fka H2Pimp
392 Posts
i've had my true flow intake for about a year and a half, zero problems

i've also had the dealer change the oil and they said nothing

so do what Layonnn said and do it your self it's not hard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the input. that is exactly what i was thinking but i dont understand what the hell that guy was talking about. as for doing it myself, i was planning on it because i got a hole gerage where i normally help my buddy out with his nissan 240sx. the guy told me not to do it when we started talking when i brought the fj in for a alignment after i beat the hell out of it on the trail.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nope not at all unless you install them wrong or you get one of those ebay like mods. I like the AEM dry flow I have the dry flow filter on my K&N. The dealer techs really don't know anything unless they are real car guys. I was told that if I installed iridium's on my motor it would break it. lol I've been running them for almost 20k with the X1 with zero problems.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If engine mods were so bad, why would TRD offer a supercharger, intake, and exhaust?

Bottom line is you'll be fine. Oh, and if the dealer tries to tell you that a mod voids the warranty, have him read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Also, be sure to read what SEMA says about it as they protect consumer rights when it comes to this topic: SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Essentially, a manufacturer cannot void your warranty unless they can prove, without a doubt, that the specifc aftermarket accessory caused the issue. For example, if your engine seizes up and they trace it back to water inhaled by the intake, you're screwed. If you have a suspension or electrical or tranny or whatever issue, there is no way it can be caused by the intake, therefore, the warranty would still apply.

Oh yeah... and definitely install it yourself, or if you're unsure, with a friend. Don't get ripped off by the dealer's labor rates...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thats funny. When I worked at a toyota dealership down here in Houston, TX they installed cold air intakes on all sorts of vehicles. They even used the AEM dry filter.

The dry filter is actually a great filter element. It traps smaller particles than K&N, S&B, Etc.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
They were probly pissed you brought your own intake instead of buying their insanely expencive one. Just do it yourself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Spend the money elsewhere then on engine mods.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
From a service manager...
K&N air filters may cause damage to your motor if over oiled! The injectors are what get clogged!
IMO the little gains you get from upgrading is not worth the money.. Spend it on suspension!

When you are ready for more power go with supercharger, injectors, headers muffler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you talk with the guys at K+N they can tell you about a law that states something to the effect that unless the dealer provides the replacement filter they cannot void that warranty for using after market parts. My dad had an issue with his Ford F350 and the service department said it was due to the filter being over oiled, but funny that when push came to shove they made the repair under warranty. Third, or fourth, party information so take it for what it is worth...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oops! I forgot to add that I have run K+N on all my vehicles for years with no problems at all! My FJ has been running the K=N filter kit for over 50,000 miles and not a single issue or repair needed!

·
Registered
132 Posts
What are people gaining realistically with engine mods? 30 HP?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
If you talk with the guys at K+N they can tell you about a law that states something to the effect that unless the dealer provides the replacement filter they cannot void that warranty for using after market parts.
The magnusson moss act states that a manufacturer cannot void your warranty for using an aftermarket part to replace an OEM part if a failure occurs. The manufacturer must prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. Sadly though, they will try to blame that part and then it is usually a huge ordeal.

Case in point, fender bulges on the FJ. Apparently all a dealer has to do is see any kind of offroad mods and they can void replacement of the fenders under warranty. Illegal? Possibly. Have fun getting paying a lawyer to take care of the issue.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
What are people gaining realistically with engine mods? 30 HP?
It depends what engine mods you are talking about.

Gas alone can net you 3hp at the crank from running 87octane vs 91octane or higher. And close to 12 HP with the 2010+ engine design.

A TRD supercharger gets you right at 65hp and 56ft/lbs of torque increase at the crank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess it all comes down to personal preference then. I have to wait till the warranty is done anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I guess it all comes down to personal preference then. I have to wait till the warranty is done anyway.
Not if you install TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, or TRD exhaust, warranty stays intact no matter what.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The dealership you talked to is filled to the top with the by-product of human food consumption and digestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts