Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have 18x9" kmc rockstar wheels with 33x13.5x18" mickey tompson baja mtz wheels. I also have a tough country 3" suspenison lift. When i put my wheels/tires on it was rubbing agains the springs (i think they are called UVA's). So i got 1 1/4" spacers. Everything is now on my car and ready to ride. However i have a major rubbing problem. I can drive but when i try to make a semi-sharp turn it rubs bad. Should i get my body mounts chopped off/ is it safe? thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not that it really matters, you need to chop anyway... What backspacing are you running on the wheels.

Yes, you need to chop the mount. Yes it's safe.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Jeez. 5 inches is alot. Does this include the wheel spacers? If not, then your new back spacing measurement is 3.75 inches. I am running 4 inches of backspacing with 305/70-16 tires (33 inch) and the body mount chop was just barely required. It's an easy mod, and perfectly safe.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Wow, that is wwwiiidddee. I don't think any amount of chopping or spacers is going to save you from rubbing. That's about an inch wider then you should've gone. You're running LT325/60R18.

·
Registered
505 Posts
They're called Upper Control Arms; UCA. Just an FYI. :cheers:

They might rub, they might not. I'm not too sure.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
ill post pictures soon but does anyone know if i will rub against my uva's when offroading...my tires are about an inch away from them with the spacers.
An inch away is quite a bit of clearance. I'd be more concerned about rubbing the bodymounts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Lmao

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
You got me thinking. Exactly how far outside of your fender wells are these things sticking out? You must have pebbles pinging off your side view mirrors. Get the body mounts done, it's painless and gains you some much needed space.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Im just curious...did you consider fitment AT ALL when you were contemplating buying?
Or just go with the "I'll make it fit" theory?
The forums a good resource BEFORE jumping in...when used after the fact you may want to preface your questions like "I have a friend who bought x and such..."

·
Registered
163 Posts
pics pics pics

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
How's the rubbing post chop?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah dude youre never gonna get these rims n tires to work... you should just sell em to me for my FJ.... JK sweet set up, if i remember correctly you need spacers and a mount chop to get these rims to work, Ive read every post even slightly relating to these rims. it can be done. how much did the switch from 7.5 to 9.5 hurt your gas mileage? I keep going back and forth about getting these rims but I was afraid that it would kill my mpg. any info?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.