Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys... Before I go on, I just want to say I am all about safety features. I think curtain air bags are a great idea.

HOWEVER... I have been on many trails and been in some pretty hard hitting positions in my old fj. I would hate to have a side curtain air bag deploy while I am off roading.
I was just wondering if anyone else has thought about this. Does anyone know at what impact range they will deploy ?? Is this cosidered part of the off road package.

Like I said, I am all for them on the highways, just concerned on the trail...Never have had the privelage of off-roading which such safety features :cool:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Personally, I am going to leave them out if they are an option, but again - I'm hardly trail rated. After driving military vehicles, padded seats are about my biggest concern on safety for a 4x4. You can keep air bags, anti-lock breaks, tractions control, driving assist - all that automated crap. Give me a big badass truck - I'll handle the driving.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know that front airbags deploy at impacts greater than 12 mph, and the side airbags probably deploy with a similar force or whenver you roll the truck. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to rig up a kill switch for the side airbags, I have seen it done for ABS systems, I would imagine that it wouldn't be much more difficult.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Percy said:
Personally, I am going to leave them out if they are an option, but again - I'm hardly trail rated. After driving military vehicles, padded seats are about my biggest concern on safety for a 4x4. You can keep air bags, anti-lock breaks, tractions control, driving assist - all that automated crap. Give me a big badass truck - I'll handle the driving.

I would just hate to be out in the middle of no where, hit a huge ditch that I know I can get out of, and be stuck cuz of a deployment of an air-bag that I didn't want to deploy. I know I'm living in dream world, but it would be nice to have the ability to turn it off when on the trails :p

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Agreed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Someone else mentioned that the connector piece, for at least the front airbags, could be easily disconnected in the process of replacing a bumper, so I guess it's right up front and disconnectable.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Someone else mentioned that the connector piece, for at least the front airbags, could be easily disconnected in the process of replacing a bumper, so I guess it's right up front and disconnectable.
All we can do is hope. My frustration with current auto designs are that we stopped making vehicles, and started making beer cans that can be driven. I had a lot of old big vehicles that if I were to get into an accident with, I would have simply buffed the paint smear off of my bumper and carried on! Now days, if you get into an accident it is highly likely that your crumple zones are designed to allow your car to become absolutely totalled however you will be safe because of the air bags, crumple zones, side impact curtains.... All of this because a bunch of people can't drive. Personally, I think they should have mandated stiffer testing for new drivers, rather than making it the automotive manufacturer's fault that people were being injured by their own stupidity. But, that's just me.

Some call it progress. I don't know how progressive it is to take responsibility away from the people who cause the problem!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i have always had this crazy idea of making people get certifications or endorsments for the class of passneger vehicle they drive. your 16 year old beginner rates, for example, a front wheel drive with no more than 100 HP. if you want to move up from there, go to the DMV or whatever your state calles it and take the road test to prove you can handle it. The problem with my theory, of course, is that the economy would be destroyed because 90% of the populace would be unable to drive anything better than a cavalier...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have rock crawled with a Jeep (Moab, Montrose, Rubicon, Farmington and all of Colorado). I also run plow trucks with air bags. AND I am a professional fire fighter.

If you ever set off an airbag off road, you want it to go off.

You need to decelerate at an extreme rate from 14mph to 0mph in a foot or two. Don't worry.... I know of NO ONE that has accidently set off an air bag.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chtucker said:
You need to decelerate at an extreme rate from 14mph to 0mph in a foot or two. Don't worry.... I know of NO ONE that has accidently set off an air bag.

That good to hear cuz I don't want to be the first !! :D
So you think it will be offered in the off-road package then??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Toyota will probably put the RSCA(Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags) Off button in the FJ as they do in the Land Cruiser, Sequoia 4WD, 4Runner 4WD and Tundra 4WD. They basically install this on Off-Roadable 4WD's when equipped with the Side & Side Curtain Airbags as they can be triggered by roll/tilt angle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
john.com said:
Toyota will probably put the RSCA(Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags) Off button in the FJ as they do in the Land Cruiser, Sequoia 4WD, 4Runner 4WD and Tundra 4WD. They basically install this on Off-Roadable 4WD's when equipped with the Side & Side Curtain Airbags as they can be triggered by roll/tilt angle.
Sweet, so no need to cut into the dash to fit a switch to do that :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
john.com said:

Thanks John. That was all I needed to hear. I hope you are right. This option might be my deciding factor... :rolleyes: Nahhhh

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Topless4runner said:
i have always had this crazy idea of making people get certifications or endorsments for the class of passneger vehicle they drive. your 16 year old beginner rates, for example, a front wheel drive with no more than 100 HP. if you want to move up from there, go to the DMV or whatever your state calles it and take the road test to prove you can handle it. The problem with my theory, of course, is that the economy would be destroyed because 90% of the populace would be unable to drive anything better than a cavalier...
We think along the same lines. I was actually thinking they should move to a complex licensing system that will be displayed on your license plate. License C will be your common use license allowing a person to operate on city streets ONLY during day time hours. Highway use only when accompanied by someone with an A or B license, even then only in the slow lane. Then license B, which will allow you full 24 hour privileges to city streets and the highway but you are denied fast lane privileges. License A for those of us who have had professional driver training and can pass the qualification exam. Unlimited access to city streets and the highway, fast lane privileges and the right to do about 20-30 over as long as weather permits.

C & B license holders cannot own anything over 4500 lbs GVW. "A" license holders can do whatever they like.

Displaying it on the license plate of the vehicle will make law enforcement's job easier since they can determine instantly whether or not that vehicle is out of place.

·
Registered
196 Posts
john.com said:
They will DEFINATELY have the RSCA OFF button. 100% positive no question about it. I have confirmed it with a toyota rep.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well maybe the RSCA will take up another punchout in the lower center console. I have yet to see one with all the punchouts used. I hate those unpunched out punchouts. I constantly wonder what's supposed to go there that someone else has and I don't. I'm going to have to have enough options/accessories to requiring punching out all of the punchouts, else I will feel inadequate.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pancho said:
Well maybe the RSCA will take up another punchout in the lower center console. I have yet to see one with all the punchouts used. I hate those unpunched out punchouts. I constantly wonder what's supposed to go there that someone else has and I don't. I'm going to have to have enough options/accessories to requiring punching out all of the punchouts, else I will feel inadequate.

Amen to that. I saw pics of punchouts that weren't used and it looks horrible. I have my uses for all of them. I hope Toyotat and I are on the same page !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If Toyota keeps with their other SUV's, the side curtain air bags will have a RSCA (Roll sensing curtain airbag)switch to turn them off when you want. They will still deploy in an accident, but not if you get at a angel while crawling :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts