Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking there must be different size grease jerks? Yesterday I greased my son's 2003 Land Rover and the grease gun adapter locked on the grease geek nice and tight.

Then I greased my FJ and had to really work at trying to get the grease gun to stay on the jerk....and wasted a lot of grease. I tried two fittings....one brand new.

Have any of you had the same issue and is there a special Japanese grease gun adapter of a difference size?

Thanks or your input

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
not that I am aware of. the only difference should be thread size SAE and Metric.
The grease gun needs to be on the zerk straight. any deviation from and it will jit grease..

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Also, do you have a flex hose attached on the grease gun? Maybe you weren't able to hit the zerk head-on and it was at an angle, or maybe it's a POS cheap-o grease gun like I first had..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replies!!

Actually my grease gun is a brand new Alemite 500-E and it as a flex hose which makes it great to get in tight places. It is an outstanding grease gun....best I've ever owned.

I'm probably guilty of not getting on the jerk as firm as I should. I usually move the FJ up or back to get the grease jerks lined up better....this time I tried to grease it at some bad angles. Knowing that the jerks are all the same size helps me trouble shoot my error. Guess I was so enamored with my new gun that I forgot the basics for a brief moment!!

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
I know what you mean, you have to get the u joint zerks just in the right spot to fit the grease gun coupler on...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Actually, if the FJ is NOT in 4WD, one can just grab the front driveline and rotate it to a better position. It helps to remove the offending skid plate too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I re-greased the FJ....I positioned the rear portion off the driveshaft grease jerks so they faced the passenger side and were horizontal to the floor. One of the jerks is pretty hard to get to....has a cover over it. I had to really use a lot of force to get the gun on this fitting....takes me longer to grease the durn jerks than to change the Diff/transfer case fluids!! I think I need to find a smaller end nozzle for my grease gun...or maybe one that's a better quality

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Today I re-greased the FJ....I positioned the rear portion off the driveshaft grease jerks so they faced the passenger side and were horizontal to the floor. One of the jerks is pretty hard to get to....has a cover over it. I had to really use a lot of force to get the gun on this fitting....takes me longer to grease the durn jerks than to change the Diff/transfer case fluids!! I think I need to find a smaller end nozzle for my grease gun...or maybe one that's a better quality
unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the cover and wala!

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you can get it to work well on one of the zerks then it should work on all of them. I am sure you're going to have the FJ for a long time so you'll get a lot of chances to work at it.
Did the 65K service last night and damm i struggled with the zerks. I guess I was just tired after rotating the tires. So I was under the FJ having trouble with them and thought about this thread... and my comment about "I guess you'll get lots of chances at it".... I should have kept my post to myself
:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts