1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are they even going to fit in the doors? As I recall last time I had my door panel off (when I was vacuuming out the glass fragments after some a-hole smashed my passenger window and stole my backpack :flame: ), the door speakers are 6" round speakers correct? These are 6x9. I'd check first. The door panel is easy enough to remove. Pioneer is a decent speaker manufacturer though and that's a good price. I do remember thinking how cheap the stock crap speakers were. For a price like that, I'd consider upgrading but def check the size first. Pretty sure they're inset into the panel.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Are they even going to fit in the doors? As I recall last time I had my door panel off (when I was vacuuming out the glass fragments after some a-hole smashed my passenger window and stole my backpack :flame: ), the door speakers are 6" round speakers correct? These are 6x9. I'd check first. The door panel is easy enough to remove. Pioneer is a decent speaker manufacturer though and that's a good price. I do remember thinking how cheap the stock crap speakers were. For a price like that, I'd consider upgrading but def check the size first. Pretty sure they're inset into the panel.
factory door speakers are not round. they are oval like 6x9s, but do not mount like a 6x9, you need adapter plates

i upgraded my stock speakers and the stereo sounded much worse, the stock HU does not put out enough power for most aftermarket speakers, you will need to also run an amp.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ahh... you better check that price again. I'm seeing $139. not $39. Deal not look so good anymore me thinks.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The price was at Frys, the link was just a reference. The stock head unit is probably underpowered for these speakers and I can't recall the stock impedance rating on the head unit, but I'll bet it's 2-ohm at best. This would explain Layonn's comments about aftermarket speakers (mostly 4-ohm rated) sounding like crap. See if you can find an outstanding deal on an amp while you're at it and get them both!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Get the tacotunes 6x9 speaker adapters 1"

tacotunes.com

Do not know if those speakers are any good or not, I have some polk 6x9's and they are pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Get the tacotunes 6x9 speaker adapters 1"

tacotunes.com

Do not know if those speakers are any good or not, I have some polk 6x9's and they are pretty sweet.
Thats what i had. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I like the Tacotunes adapters but think they are a little over priced. If you have any skills with a jigsaw you can get one and a quarter sheet of MDF wood and make the adapter yourself for less than the cost of the adapters. Just throwing it out there. The HU will power the speakers but you will really notice they are not even close to their potential unless you run them with an amp. I will tell you that if the price is really what you say it is then buy them. If they are $139 then get a set of components and then put the tweeters in the dash. The set I bought were well worth the money.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I actually have these exact Pioneer 6x9's in my doors, I paid $34.00 on Amazon a couple months ago. They sound pretty good for the price, keep in mind I do have a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD running them.

As for the install I did it exactly like the above link. I did have to trim some of the plastic on the back of the door panel to get the panel to fit tight because the plastic extrudes out around the speaker vent. :cheers:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm going to jump in here on this thread (hope the OP doesn't mind!). I've been researching for hours over the past few days, trying to figure out a cheap upgrade for the stock speakers without replacing everything. Lots of stats and contradictory opinions!!! I'm looking at these speakers too.

Current setup: stock 6 speaker setup (2.5" 8-ohms in the dash, 6x9" 4-ohms in the door, the flat ceiling vibrators which are 4-ohms but go through some transducer thingie). No rears, no sub.

Goal: I have enough bass from the current 6x9s, but need more volume and clarity to vocals and instruments. Don't want to lose bass, but if I need more bass later I'll add the stock subwoofer.

Option 1: upgrade the 6x9 to the Pioneer 4-way the OP is looking at. I used two pioneer 4-ways in our minivan and the clarity was astounding (like wow, I can hear what I've been missing!). I'm still leaning this way.

On to the FJ. After hours and hours of searching threads, I still don't know if replacing the 6x9s is a good idea.

...i upgraded my stock speakers and the stereo sounded much worse, the stock HU does not put out enough power for most aftermarket speakers, you will need to also run an amp.
Question for Layonnn: was that just replacing the 6x9s or did you replace the 8-ohm dash speakers at the same time?

Some have said good things about replacing the stock 6x9 by themselves; and considering most aftermarket are 4-ohm and the factory are 4-ohm, I don't see how it could sound worse to replace them by themselves. However, if you replaced the dash mounted 8-ohm with 4-ohm speakers at the same time, I gather the dash speakers would then use more power and the 6x9 would sound weak. Is that the case?

Option 2: For just vocals, I thought about replacing just the 2.5s in the dash. But 8-ohm speakers are hard to find; and from what I gather, replacing the 8-ohm with 4-ohm will drain from the 6x9s and would might be a bit over-loud. So I don't think this option would work out.

Option 3: I could cut the ceiling exciters (and I don't have any in the rear) and put a set of 6.5s in the rear seat area as some have done. I don't like this as the first step since they're behind my head. I may still do this down the road, after doing something in the front.

Keep in mind, I"m not an audiophile, I don't want perfect sound, and I know that putting out the highs down low isn't ideal. But for a $40 upgrade, I'd be happy with it as long as I don't lose the bass!

Ideas? Discussion? Facts? Experiences? Crazies? :cheers:

·
Registered
636 Posts
UPDATE!!! OK, so these particular speakers were no longer listed on Fry's so I picked up a similar but lesser set at the local Walmart (93db rating, 28-35k Hz). Installed and here's my impression:

First: installed the 6x9s only and - meh. So the vocals and midrange were clearer, but I DEFINITELY lost a lot of bass. I guess everyone was right - the stock unit just doesn't put out enough power to drive a bigger magnet (btw, I could not believe the size of the stock magnet!!!!).

Second: I unplugged the dash speakers and WOW!!!!!!!!!! Provided with the extra power (not having the dash speakers draining power), these things ROCK! My impressions:

1. The bass is much better than stock. Hits hard, clear, and low. Not like two 10's in a bandpass box, but great for what they are. In fact, for most songs I now leave the bass at 3 instead of 5.
2. The vocals and instruments are much clearer and distinct. As I've said before, compare (in a store) the pioneer to a sony and it's night and day as far as how clear the pioneer reproduces. Hearing things I absolutely could not before.
3. Driving impression: I got exactly what I wanted. Now we can have the radio turned down a bit and still make out what the lyrics are. Before, it was too loud and I still couldn't hear it. In fact, we can have it loud enough to hear comfortably AND still talk to each other without shouting. Much better.
4. I do miss having some sound stage closer to my head/face. It's a little annoying but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Playing with the fader, the headliner speakers do come in handy to provide some volume near my head. I may eventually do something with speakers behind my head in the C pillars.

Overall, a worthy modification. I would do it again. I guess a warning is that you may not be perfectly happy, and may feel the need to start spending more money (better dash speakers, an amp to drive them, start upgrading the rear).

I should qualify that I'm no audiophile. I do want more than the average consumer, and I'm willing to install stuff myself, but I won't go spend $1k on equipment. We'll live with this for a while, and if it doesn't seem to cut it I'll add a $50 amp and some $30 dash speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts