Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the last three times I have filled up on gas I've calculated 10mpg or so. It was 17ish before.

Associated conditions:

2010TT, 11900 miles

no big temp change atmospheric wise (Portland Oregon area...40-50 degrees and rain)

No configuration changes mod wise.

Gas from Costco or Shell every time.

Checked tire press: 35 all around.
Going to check cyclone air filter when I get home.
Any other ideas before I get gouged at the dealer?

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
341 Posts
I say take it to the dealer if it is that bad w/ out mods. Shouldn't even be that bad with. You have a 2010 w/ only 11,900 miles, you will be covered by your warranty.
You could try cleaning the MAF sensor, but again, you should be covered--let someone else deal w/ it.

good luck

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
A couple of items come to mind: 1. Is the gas cap missing? 2. Do you have a fuel leak? 3. Could somebody be stealing your gas? 4. Not to sound funny....check your math??:lol: I'm just saying....:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I hate math... that's why I checked it 3 times over 3 tanks LOL! No hurt feelings there.

I am making an appointment at the dealer I think, I have too many other things to deal with and a 7 mpg drop is just plain not cool.

Edit: I called them and the advisor told me not to worry about it until the service light comes on or it runs poorly. Not sure I am cool with this answer. Although mentioned winter blends, which I could understand if it November...but its March. If it was winter blends this would have come up long before now would it not?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check your thermostat. There was a thread about this a few months ago. The guy brought it to the dealer a few times, techs found nothing and then he decided to check the spark plugs which were wet and dark. Long story short- he found out that he had a faulty thermostat which allowed more gas into the engine therefore loss of power and fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Madviking,

Thanks I saw that thread also and was debating.... I am not sure how to check that unless I go to the dealer though. Is there a way to do that that anyone can enlighten me on?

·
Registered
54 Posts
To check the temp you would have to get an obd2 scanner/tool then plug it into the port in your fj. Go to the live readings section on the obd2 scanner and start up your fj. Once warm drive it around for while checking the temp.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 2010 also and my mileage was in the basement as well a couple of months ago. So I bought a ScanGauge II to monitor coolant temp and realtime MPG and average MPG. Since then I gained probably 3 MPG by re-training my driving habits. I'm still not happy with my MPG though. Getting about 13-14 mpg with a lift and mods. My water temp will hold at 181-184 degrees F. Maybe that's normal but I'm considering a new thermostat because I've heard folks on here running temps in the 190's.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Plus +Ethanol in the gasoline doesn't help

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I am supposed to run to Seattle this weekend and despite the fact it will probably break me doing it I'll likely put a tank of premium in it and maybe a bottle of the expensive Toyota fuel system cleaner and run it till it's empty. If I still have the issue then off to the dealer he goes....

·
Registered
35 Posts
X3 on the thermostat! I was having the same problems with mine @ 65k and weighed out the options 1) pay the dealership xxx$ and tell me nothing is wrong with it or that it is not a warranty issue or 2) pay $47 for new thermostat @ $20 for radiotor flush and fluid and atleast know that the coolant system is not the root of my problem

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yeah I hate math... that's why I checked it 3 times over 3 tanks LOL! No hurt feelings there.

I am making an appointment at the dealer I think, I have too many other things to deal with and a 7 mpg drop is just plain not cool.

Edit: I called them and the advisor told me not to worry about it until the service light comes on or it runs poorly. Not sure I am cool with this answer. Although mentioned winter blends, which I could understand if it November...but its March. If it was winter blends this would have come up long before now would it not?
I would say that a drop of 7MPH is running poorly!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I second the 'take it to the dealer' comments... although I would reset the ecu first, unplug the battery for an hour kinda thing... especially before a trip up here to Seattle. Let me know if I can take you for a beer or something too, I'm in Bothell and love beer from Diamond Knot in Mukilteo. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
In Portland as well, via NM. Been here a couple of months, and at one point I bombed a tank or two and got around the same as you, I think it was 12mpg. Scared the snot out of me. I have no mods, and go very easy on the skinny pedal, but all city. I buy gas from all over, no real rhyme or reason. Did a 90,000 tune up and the past two tanks have been back up to 18ish.

One tank of premium really won't do a whole lot. You need to run at least three from what I have seen. The ECU gets re-tuned to the higher octane after a couple tanks,(no pre-ignition, so it can advance timing a bit more). It sure won't hurt though.

I did find a gas station in Portland, near the SE that sells Premium gas...WITH NO ETHANOL...it aint cheap, but wondering if mileage would be better.

I agree, take to dealer. But it's interesting that a few of us had some REALLY bad mpgs here in the NW the past month or two. Bad gas in Oregon?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'd agree that involving the dealer is the right move. If you don't document this with them then it did not happen. It may be to your benifit in the long run and you are under warranty.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good points all. I think you're right too on the dealer aspect. I need to document it.. Ive got Expedition One bumpers coming in a few weeks and I really really don't want them to pull the "you've got mods" card on me without a documented problem.

You guys think driving 250 miles each way to Seattle this weekend is a bad idea (other than financially lol). I'd hate to damage something.

Thanks again. The helpfulness in this forum never ceases to amaze.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts