Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with theses rusting?

I purchased these in the last group buy & in less than 6 months they're rusting & the rusty water is coming out the weep holes & draining all down the back of my FJ.

Come spring they're coming off & going in the trash!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue is that they're rusting from the inside out. Rain/snow gets in the top weep hole & the rusty goo comes out the bottom weep hole.

So I dint think painting will help....

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Mine did this as well. I took them off and used black silicone to fill the holes. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Has anyone had issues with theses rusting?

I purchased these in the last group buy & in less than 6 months they're rusting & the rusty water is coming out the weep holes & draining all down the back of my FJ.

Come spring they're coming off & going in the trash!
We would never knowingly offer or sell an inferior product, regardless of price.

If the exterior is rusting, that is a paint defect, and they will be replaced. If you have internal oxidation that is seeping from the drain hole, but the external finish is unaffected, that can be normal on most steel accessories when exposed to moisture on a consistent basis.

I will contact Aries Automotive this week, and see what can be done to replace any taillight guards that have rusting / paint issues from the group buy. :cheers:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please note that I was NOT saying you did or would ever do anything like that.

I apprecate what you do for this forum!

We would never knowingly offer or sell an inferior product, regardless of price.

If the exterior is rusting, that is a paint defect, and they will be replaced. If you have internal oxidation that is seeping from the drain hole, but the external finish is unaffected, that can be normal on most steel accessories when exposed to moisture on a consistent basis.

I will contact Aries Automotive this week, and see what can be done to replace any taillight guards that have rusting / paint issues from the group buy. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Please note that I was NOT saying you did or would ever do anything like that.

I appreciate what you do for this forum!
No worries - I didn't take it that way at all.

I just want to make sure no one feels that they are left hanging if they have a problem, even if it was part of a group buy or special deal. I appreciate the trust forum members put into folks who sell their products here, and want to make sure that trust remains intact. :rocker:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine did this as well. I took them off and used black silicone to fill the holes. Problem solved.

This is solution.

I purchased in the group buy. I wanted maniks. But went with Aries. I didnt like the glossy look, and within a week they had rusted all over my truck.

I took off. I siliconed over the hole. I then sprayed with Rustoleum black textured paint.

They are awesome NOW. Match the rack and rails of my truck, and havent had one sign of leaking rust.

It would be great if the product came at that quality level, but with very minimal effort you can make it great.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Talked to the good folks at Aries (manufacturer of the T/L guards) today.

If you purchased Aries taillight guards for your FJ Cruiser in the Group Buy, and you are having an issue with the taillight guards rusting, please take pics and forward them to [email protected] for evaluation.

If the powder paint, or the guard itself, is determined to be defective, Aries will replace the defective part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed them today.

Before we sent it we looked again (starting at the ground) & went up the rust line till it stops.

Every time we've done this it stops at the bottom hole on the guard.

photo (1).jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow Up: Contacted the Aries district sales manager 12 days ago. I was told (12 days ago) they'd get back to me the next day. I've followed up 2x and....I'm still waiting.

Don't know if they're trying to figure it out (as a fluke) or if they have a major deal on their hands. I'll keep everyone posted as I hear something.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Mine is resolved! I stripped them to bare metal, epoxied filled the weep holes so no water or moisture will get inside.Then applied 3 coats of Dupont vari-prime self etching metal primer. Then coated 3 coats Chroma base (to match the body)black cherry color then topped off with 4 coats Chroma clear
Unless you seal off the holes or coat the inside of the tubes the cheap steel they are made of will rust forever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the Aries rep isnt even replying to emails! One shouldn't have to 1. Doctor a product or 2. Have to chase after a rep for customer service or 3. Wait almost a month to hear anything!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I got this 42 days ago:

Good Afternoon Dave – I received all your info I am checking with my supervisor to see if we have had any issues with this part number.
Will get back to you tomorrow on this.

Sincerely yours,

Mark Francis
Regional Sales Manager
And I got this 28 days ago:

Hello Dave I recommend removing tail light guards – I am checking with other customers to see if anybody else has had any rust issues.

At this point in time I don’t have anything to replace unit with.

Please bare with me till I get some good stock.

Sincerely yours,

Mark Francis
Regional Sales Manager
Today I sent my second email (since the reply 28 days ago) asking were we were on this issue.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
My point is that you shouldn't have to doctor them up like that.
I would agree but I wanted mine painted the body color so chose to do it knowing that they would rust.
It's cheap metal and it's gonna rust. I deal with stuff on a daily basis as a warranty administrator for yachts. We don't cover rust after 90 days and say it's a mantience item and that's to people who buy 2 million dollar boats .

I hope they take care of you and just send you a new set

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's been 2 months since I took CruiserLarry's advice & contacted the Aries rep Mark Francis.

Last I was told he was waiting for some "Good Stock" but that was 30 days ago. Since then I've received zero updates or replies to my emails or phone messages.

So BUYER BEWARE! If you're not into modifying the parts prior to putting them on, they'll rust on you & Aries will not provide ANY customer support for their product!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had the exact same problem with another manufacturer--They ended up having to powder coat their stainless steel versions for me, as the two inital sets starting dribbling rust within' weeks--

1 - 20 of 25 Posts