Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about purchasing an Aries Brush Guard and i was wondering if anyone had any problems with the added weight on the front end affecting the shocks or anything?
Also how does it compare to the Steelcraft guard?
Any opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm thinking about purchasing an Aries Brush Guard and i was wondering if anyone had any problems with the added weight on the front end affecting the shocks or anything?
Also how does it compare to the Steelcraft guard?
Any opinions?

Thanks
Here are some pictures of the Aries grill guard attach on the FJ, the black one is mine and the yellow is an image found on the internet.I wanted to see what it looks like with four lights mounted on the grill. After installation, I did notice my front to be a little heavy specially the first time I'd drove it. I have it on for a few months now and knock on wood, so far so good. I really like the look of it. Lately, I mounted a couple of Hella 500 driving lights (no pictures yet) converted into xenon, now it looks even better. Haven't seen the Steelcraft guard version in person, so I could not compare the two. As far as the shock and spring are concern, I took a reference point on the middle of bumper before and after install and height remain the same on mine. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are those bottom lights on the yellow one mounted to the lower valence?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts

Installed a couple of days ago....very easy to do!! Looks really awesome too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pictures of the Aries grill guard attach on the FJ, the black one is mine and the yellow is an image found on the internet.I wanted to see what it looks like with four lights mounted on the grill. After installation, I did notice my front to be a little heavy specially the first time I'd drove it. I have it on for a few months now and knock on wood, so far so good. I really like the look of it. Lately, I mounted a couple of Hella 500 driving lights (no pictures yet) converted into xenon, now it looks even better. Haven't seen the Steelcraft guard version in person, so I could not compare the two. As far as the shock and spring are concern, I took a reference point on the middle of bumper before and after install and height remain the same on mine. :cheers:

Installed a couple of days ago....very easy to do!! Looks really awesome too.

Have you guys noticed the guard to be too close to the passenger turn signal?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I had that issue. Just loosened the mounting bolts though and banged the guard around with a rubber mallet to get it away from the light. It rubbed there for about a month before I caught it, but I was able to buff out the plastic cover on the turn signal easily.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where did you guys get your brush guard?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are those bottom lights on the yellow one mounted to the lower valence?
Looks like the the bottom lights were mounted on the same are as the top lights hanging upside down with the cover right side up,maybe they use a nut coupler.

where did you guys get your brush guard?
I got mine from a local Toyota dealer, best to e-mail Aries, as they help and pointed me to the right direction, as I did not want to buys across the border which means duty, tax and shipping and the guard is a big.

I have not notice this, but I will check on mine, now you got me curious. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I didnt notice it being closer to the passenger lights either.....i looked it over a hundred times and measured distance from grill to lights on both sides.
I bought my Aries through Autoanything.com, back when they were $399.95, i believe they are well over $400 now?? :cheers:
The instructions stink though! Took longer than 2 hours because i used my crappy engineering techniques. :lol:
If you want to install the Body Guard taillight guards, pm me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the Steelcraft (weighing in at 60-75 lbs, according to Autoanything) will the stock front suspension be sufficient?
Should I expect to see the front end sag eventually? (short term? long term?)
Thanx in advance for any help...

·
Registered
434 Posts
With the Steelcraft (weighing in at 60-75 lbs, according to Autoanything) will the stock front suspension be sufficient?
Should I expect to see the front end sag eventually? (short term? long term?)
Thanx in advance for any help...

Had my Aries for six months now. Don't have the actual weight of the Aries, but so far, don't see any sagging or signs of. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts