Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing this brush guard should only take about an hour to two hours to complete. The biggest issue is that while the written directions are ok the provided photos are horrible.Please Note I have copy and pasted the written directions from the instructions provided with the brush guard. So follow along.....

Step 1- Verify you have all of the bolts, nuts, washers, and brackets. Verify what you have to the parts list on the directions.

Step 2- Locate frame mount for lower bracket. Insert (2) 3/8 x 4 ½ Hex Head bolt, (2) 3/8 Flat washer as shown. Install lower
bracket using (2) 3/8 Hex nyloc nut, (2) 3/8 Flat washer, leave loose. Repeat for passenger side.

Picture of frame mount looking at the drivers side frame mount from the passenger side with bolts already set in

Picture of how drivers side lower bracket should face. The "bent" up portion goes to the outside (tire side) of the bracket while mounting from the bottom.

Step 3- You may want to remove bezel/grill for this step, but it's not necessary, removing bezel/grill allows for easier access. Install middle bracket onto radiator support (Driver and Passenger) using (4) M6 x 1.0 x 25mm Hex head bolt, (4) M6 Flat washer and tighten.

Drivers side radiator support.

Step 4- If you removed the bezel/grill reinstall before starting this step!!! Insert top bracket in between bumper and grill (See Fig #6) Align and install top
bracket onto middle bracket using (2) 5/16 Hex head bolt, (2) 5/16 Flat washer. Leave Loose. Repeat for other side.

Middle bracket (drivers side) sticking out from under bezel/grill.

Middle bracket laying on top of support bracket

Step 5- Install (1) Grill Guard onto vehicle starting with lower brackets, using (4) 7/16 x 1
¼ Hex head bolts, (4) 7/16 Hex Nyloc Nut, (8) 7/16 Flat washer, then using (2)
3/8 x 1 button head bolts, (2) 3/8 Hex Nyloc nut, (2) 3/8 flat washer onto top
brackets. Leave bolts loose. Once you have all bolts in level and adjust grill guard to your liking. Tighten bolts and enjoy your hard work....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Installing this brush guard should only take about an hour to two hours to complete. The biggest issue is that while the written directions are ok the provided photos are horrible.Please Note I have copy and pasted the written directions from the instructions provided with the brush guard. So follow along.....

Step 1- Verify you have all of the bolts, nuts, washers, and brackets. Verify what you have to the parts list on the directions.

Step 2- Locate frame mount for lower bracket. Insert (2) 3/8 x 4 ½ Hex Head bolt, (2) 3/8 Flat washer as shown. Install lower
bracket using (2) 3/8 Hex nyloc nut, (2) 3/8 Flat washer, leave loose. Repeat for passenger side.

Picture of frame mount looking at the drivers side frame mount from the passenger side with bolts already set in

Picture of how drivers side lower bracket should face. The "bent" up portion goes to the outside (tire side) of the bracket while mounting from the bottom.

Step 3- You may want to remove bezel/grill for this step, but it's not necessary, removing bezel/grill allows for easier access. Install middle bracket onto radiator support (Driver and Passenger) using (4) M6 x 1.0 x 25mm Hex head bolt, (4) M6 Flat washer and tighten.

Drivers side radiator support.

Step 4- If you removed the bezel/grill reinstall before starting this step!!! Insert top bracket in between bumper and grill (See Fig #6) Align and install top
bracket onto middle bracket using (2) 5/16 Hex head bolt, (2) 5/16 Flat washer. Leave Loose. Repeat for other side.

Middle bracket (drivers side) sticking out from under bezel/grill.

Middle bracket laying on top of support bracket

Step 5- Install (1) Grill Guard onto vehicle starting with lower brackets, using (4) 7/16 x 1
¼ Hex head bolts, (4) 7/16 Hex Nyloc Nut, (8) 7/16 Flat washer, then using (2)
3/8 x 1 button head bolts, (2) 3/8 Hex Nyloc nut, (2) 3/8 flat washer onto top
brackets. Leave bolts loose. Once you have all bolts in level and adjust grill guard to your liking. Tighten bolts and enjoy your hard work....

Great write-up! This will help me once I get my 2014 TTUE. I sent you a pm regarding the brush guard. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Cal

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've used that same brush guard on my 2007 then a new one on my 2012. Just be sure to wax it when you wax the car and use rust inhibitor then touch-up paint when (not if) you see spots near the welds that didn't fully get the powdercoat in there. Nice brush guard for the $$ just wish the upper mounts could bolt on to something beefier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used that same brush guard on my 2007 then a new one on my 2012. Just be sure to wax it when you wax the car and use rust inhibitor then touch-up paint when (not if) you see spots near the welds that didn't fully get the powdercoat in there. Nice brush guard for the $$ just wish the upper mounts could bolt on to something beefier.
Thanks for the head's up. Do you know if this will fit the 2014 TTUE with the TRD skid plate? I really like the look of this guard. I want to keep my FJ as stock as possible and I do not want to get rid of the TRD skid plate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These instructions seem to leave a lot to the imagination. I have just picked up a 2012 Fj Crusier w/ TRD package and from the looks of it I will have to remove the skid plates in order to install the Aries 2059 Brush Guard. The bottom mounts
will not fit otherwise. My concern is that once the brush guard is installed will I not be able to re-install my skid plates as is or will I have to cut them to modify the bottom mounts?

Thanks,

Kendu377

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts