Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Yahoo, this morning

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-man-rescued-being-trapped-car-3-days-064324465.html

JEROME, Ariz. (AP) — A man trapped in his crashed vehicle on a central Arizona mountain for three days might never have been rescued if not for a couple taking sightseeing photos, authorities said.

Jerome Police Chief Allen Muma says the 50-year-old man's purple SUV was spotted Friday afternoon by a couple who had pulled over on a road on Mingus Mountain, about 10 miles south of Jerome.

"The big thing I want to get across is how lucky this gentleman was," Muma said Saturday. "These people happened to stop and take a picture. Had they not, he'd be dead. There's no doubt in my mind."

The couple was on Allen Springs Road, which Muma described as an unimproved, dirt Forest Service road and the surrounding terrain has brush between 6 and 10 feet tall. As they started to snap photos, the woman noticed pieces of the vehicle through the mesquite trees and bushes. They went closer and saw a man inside.

The pair immediately called 911.

It took multiple fire and police agencies more than an hour to get to the man and extricate him using a Jaws of Life apparatus, according to Muma. The roof of the Toyota FJ Cruiser had caved in.

The man, who lives in Cornville, was conscious enough to give paramedics information. That is when emergency responders deduced his car had rolled down the mountain three days earlier.

The couple who found the man happened to have a chainsaw, which rescuers used to help clear the terrain from the car for a waiting helicopter.

He was airlifted in critical condition to Verde Valley Medical Center and then later transported to a hospital in Flagstaff.

The man was listed in stable condition Saturday, according to Yavapai County Sheriff's spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn. The sheriff's office is investigating how the vehicle ended up crashing.

Muma did not know if the man had any water or food nearby. A deputy found his cellphone outside of the car.

The man, whose identity has not been released, has no family so nobody reported him missing.

"If you're going to travel off-road somewhere or even a well-traveled road ... let somebody know," Muma said.

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
Very lucky...
Maybe he didn't want to leave once he realized he'd buggered his FJ up...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: Please tell me that this is not one of our members!

Appears to be a Black Cherry colored FJ Cruiser. Person was lucky to be found.

·
Admin
6,892 Posts

This does stress some important things. Like letting someone know where you will be going in case you don't check in later.
Exactly.

If it's just my wife I'm letting know where I'm going I also tell her who to contact if I go missing. Like my buddies with the capable 4x4's. I make sure she has their contact info.

Just a note to everyone:
If you don't have someone to contact (friends or family)... post up a thread here and then reply to your own thread once you are back.
If you don't want to post your personal info a picture of your FJ with your license plate would be enough to get the ball rolling with local law enforcement.

After all... we ARE like family >:D

Stay safe everyone!
:cheers:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone recognize this FJ? Guy is very lucky to be alive.

Glad he is safe and OK.

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
It made the news here

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Glad that he is OK!
Probably owes the hikers big!
Also totaled his FJ, most likely!
GM

·
Registered
392 Posts
No need for me to post to let people know that I am missing.... The neighbors will know because the dog and cat will be allowed inside the house and my wife will be throwing a huge good-riddance party... Oh.. and the lawns will look like crap and FJ won't be in the garage....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds Suspicious in SOOOO many ways. I'm thinking the FJ was the girls. The guy that crashed it was the secret boyfriend and things suddenly went bad in the relationship. He vindictively takes off in her FJ. Girl wants her Cherry back but has to claim it stolen to cover her affair to significant other. The significant other buys the girls story and goes looking with a weapon (aka "Chainsaw") in an act of chivalry. Said girlfriend knows a secret spot her and the boyfriend used to go. They catch up with him and he makes a run for it later crashing. Chainsaw can't get at the perp through quality Toyota construction. Girlfriend decides the FJ is lost anyway and goes with "Just happened on this accident with a chainsaw" story. Guy in FJ told his wife he's going to hike the Appalachian Trail so avoids notification of family to conceal the affair. Only thing that makes sense.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Holy crap !!!
One lucky SOB !!!

Man had no family.
That is interesting.

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
Another theory - he couldn't decide between Hillary or the Donald.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts