Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arizona Strip 1

On April 23-24, VOLHOO, MRSVOLHOO and I did some exploring on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the Tuweep area - and camped at the Toroweap Overlook.

The roads in the area are all 2WD FJ friendly to spite the warning signs.

Recommended - MINIMUM 15 gallons of spare fuel if you want to explore the area. You are a long way from anywhere. The MAF extended range tank worked like a champ. It's about 80 miles from the nearest fuel (each way) and when you're exploring, you suck down gasoline.

You're almost there.

A pause for the cause - stopping at the Tuweep Ranger Station (one ranger) to read the rules.

The Scorpion's Camping Spot:

Unloading

Sleeping in the back

View out the back of the FJ.

VOLHOO and MRSVOLHOO with the Grand Canyon in background.

Toroweap Overlook is almost exactly 3000 vertical feet, straight down to the Colorado River. It's also the narrowest part of the Grand Canyon.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Arizona Strip 2

MRSVOLHOO, "Harley" and "Nicky" with Snow Canyon, UT behind them. (photo taken on the road to to the Arizona Strip outside St. George, UT)

We did some exploring in the Mt. Trumbul Area (many cinder cones from extinct volcanos. We also took this trail.

I was in favor of trying to get down to the river using this route (in the FJ's) but VOLHOO over-ruled me.

Park Service cautionary note. (there's a book you can sign)

There was a lot of wild life: Deer, elk, lots of antelope, jackrabbits, cottontail rabbits, coyotes, hawks, owls, and mustangs (above) in the middle of NOWHERE. They were unshod, no brands but were quite friendly. They're now protected by law.

On the way out - on the road to Fredonia, AZ and Kanab, UT beyond.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Very cool the area is just gorgeous, glad to see you guys had fun! I love the cinders all around the north region of AZ its like being on the moon:D

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the cinders all around the north region of AZ its like being on the moon:D
Driving through those cinder fields is very exotic because there is a wall of cinders and then a glen/open field with trees and then it's the Moon again. I loved it! The area north of there around Kanab is truly spectacular.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I've camped in a lot of places and Toroweap point has to be at the top of the list. I took my wife there several years back and we had it all to ourselves.

Did you go sit with your feet off the edge at the campsites ON the edge of the cliff? We had our dog, and Linda made me choose a camp site back up on the second tier.

They really are ON THE EDGE. You could swan dive into the river 2500 feet below.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've camped in a lot of places and Toroweap point has to be at the top of the list.
It's right up there with "Top-of-the-World" on the Kokopelli Trail. The view, the general remote nature of the spot and the small, intimate campground make Toroweap spectacular. I'm with you on putting this location on the "must experience" list. And I'll be going back.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's right up there with "Top-of-the-World" on the Kokopelli Trail. The view, the general remote nature of the spot and the small, intimate campground make Toroweap spectacular. I'm with you on putting this location on the "must experience" list. And I'll be going back.
Once again you get to have all the fun.....

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again you get to have all the fun.....
Uh, yeah...right this from a guy who lives in ALBERTA, CANADA??

I didn't get a chance to try out the COBB stove since MRS VOLHOO cooked for all of us. I did have it along just in case.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Amazing! Wish I could have been there with you guys. :(
The views and wild life most have made for one trip to go in the history books for all of you.

I might have to take the long way home after Kokopelli. :D

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The views and wild life most have made for one trip to go in the history books for all of you.
The entire three day trip was amazing. Yes, the wild life abounded. One cautionary note. VOLHOO (and I'll let him speak for himself when he returns - he spend an extra day) did have fuel issues on this leg of the trip. One of the days we left the Brigadier parked and drove off for the day in the Scorpion because I had the MAF extended range tank (an extra 120 lbs of gasoline). On deeper runs like this one you'll burn nearly half a tank getting there... and you do want to get back to a gas station. As a result, your ability to play there in the area is limited. Vince had a 5 gallon Jerry can on the back but when we got to Fredonia, he bought 2 additional 5 gallon cans and mounted them on the rack. My sense is that to do this run right, you need an additional 15 gallons. The area is HUGE and very desolate. There's just no civilization there.

We encountered other campers at Toroweap, but once we started into the back country we didn't see another person all day long on the second day. You could spend a lot of time up there without running into anyone else - and that underscores the need for proper mechanical and logistical planning.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Was the ranger still Jim Wessel (IIRC)?

When I was down there I had a tensioner rope come off of the back of my kayak out on the road. He somehow found it and then came and found me to return it. We had a long talk and he hung out with me and the family for a while and had some good long talks about his time in-country there. I think that he and his wife were hoping to get posted to a location with more green, more mountains and more snow. He originally came from either Alaska or Washington.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great trip. My group and I are looking to go to the Strip after Overland Expo. Did you need any permits ?

I've been told that trailers were not permitted but all I have seen about a trailer restriction was for the
Toroweap Overlook. Did you see anything concerning that?

Would you be willing to share any GPS files ? Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have been there a couple of times and looking to go there again soon.
Just an awesome area....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts